16 years old, need advice on retirement investments.

retire@40 said:
Interesting.  One person living a very humble life in the Orient with very little money.  Another person living a very humble life in the USA being the second richest person in the world.

It sounds like they are both doing what they want to do when they want to do it and how they want to do it.

I don't see much of a difference between the two.

Seems to me that FI is all about doing what you want to do because you have the resources to do it without having to "work" at something you don't like.

If a 16 year old sees the "light" and wants to make a path to FI but working his tail off to get there then what is the problem? The point to be concerned about his having a "life" is once he gets to FI. If he cannot then enjoy the fruits of his labor and feels compelled to continue to drive himself for only financial gain, then I would say he has a problem. I doubt that Warren B. is unhappy. As has been said, he is doing what he wants to do.

Isn't that what FI is all about?

Working while being FI at something you love and want to do is not a JOB. It is a life passion and I only hope I find mine someday.

..First of all, what makes you, make an assumption that I have no life? I'm not a virgin, and have a good social life. It's not like I spend hours a day figuring out stuff, its just when I'm bored or want to be excited about my future. I am NOT doing it for material things. Many people make that assumption, but I really just want to get all this money to not have to worry about money. Kind of ironic but whatever. When I retire, I'm going to be getting a house in central america probably, and live my life in peace(and travel). I can still have a good life while working and living at home. Just because you live at home doesn't make your life suck.. I have all the freedom I want here at home, and soon will have a car. I have plenty of friends I hang out with and do the usual teenager stuff. I'm not some stereotypical "nerd" that some of you picture me as. I actually started thinking about early retirement when I started getting into 60's counter-culture movement and started having some beliefs like theirs, especially getting out of the "rat race". I simply want to retire early and have a lot of money so I can truly enjoy the second half of my life not having to work for money. Thanks for the posts.

If. said:
..First of all, what makes you, make an assumption that I have no life? I am NOT doing it for material things. Many people make that assumption, but I really just want to get all this money to not have to worry about money. Kind of ironic but whatever. When I retire, I'm going to be getting a house in central america probably, and live my life in peace(and travel). I can still have a good life while working and living at home. Just because you live at home doesn't make your life suck.. I simply want to retire early and have a lot of money so I can truly enjoy the second half of my life not having to work for money. Thanks for the posts.

Read my post above. What part of it do you disagree with?

Advice is free for the taking or leaving. If you post on a public forum such as this you are putting yourself out there for people to take pot shots at what you say and for them to share their opinions (like I am doing now). You can't take all this personally. This is at best a two dimensional medium and a lot of things get lost in translation. Also, not seeing body language or facial expressions leaves one with only part of the message. Emoticons help but they are inadequate to get the full picture. People can also hide behind a false mask due to the anonymity of the internet.

Take everything said with a few grains of salt; learn what you can and leave the Bull S@it on the ground. ;)

My Young Friend , making love on a distant Beach when you are 20 is one hell of a lot differant than when you are 50.

The problem with youth is that so often it is wasted on the young, and what the hell does being a Virgin have to do with anything, is that some new rite of manhood.??

Enjoy your youth, do things that young people do, find a career you love, not one you have to endure.

I was a Senior Executive, International, I got to see the world, but when you travel with a Platinum AMEX at 50 it is very differant than when you backpack at 20.

My life was one long string of Westin Hotels, I still love that chain.

Life is what happens despite all your plans.

Isn't company travel great? My 1 year old daughter has already swam at Waikiki beach, and it only cost us DW's airfare. :)

SteveR, I wasn't talking to you sorry if I made it seem like that. I should of said I agree with your post, I was talking about the guy(vic) implying I had no life. And about the virgin part, he was telling us about some guy and said this "So at age 32, this virgin moved out of mommy and daddy's house into the country to get his first job after grad school." implying somehow living at home relates to being a virgin, so just clearing that up. And I don't plan to be "making love on a distant beach" howard. I actually like working with my dad, sure its a little physically demanding sometimes, but I love working in the outdoors and working with my dad.

If. said:
And I don't plan to be "making love on a distant beach" howard.

Why not?  If you really end up financially independent and living south of the border, I sure as hell hope you date sultry latin babes, enjoy drinks with little umbrellas in them, and make love on the beach.  You'll be living the dream, man!  Don't hold back!!   8)

Lol, well, I don't plan for it to be as nice as it would be as if I were 20, but eh better then never. And plus, I can always vacation there for a few weeks and see what happens :)

Back
Top Bottom