180 Trillion Leisure Hours Lost To Work Last Year

... and it's all because of "jobs."

I explained to one of our senior VPs perhaps ten years ago- "Working for a living sure cuts into my free time!"

Interesting discussion for about an hour. Towards the end of the discussion he offered to fly some fireworks up to me (at a different plant) when he came up on the company jet. I told him that was probably a bad idea.

I find the Onion so funny in part because there is always a kernel of truth to the stories they post - like the comparison to European leisure time.

I explained to one of our senior VPs perhaps ten years ago- "Working for a living sure cuts into my free time!"

That's *exactly* how I feel. I don't really mind my job. As jobs go it's quite decent. But when I'm done working for the day there's all this stuff I would like to do but don't have time for. I just don't have the time to go to work!

When I was in the service, I never understood when people would accumulate 60+ days of leave (vacation). I think only a couple of times in my entire career did I have more than about 20 days in the "bank". I have ALWAYS valued my time off MUCH more than my time at w*rk. Not only to mention, if I had met with an untimely death, I don't think I would have too happy to have died knowing I had 2+ months of accumulated time off!

Actually, I never knew anyone who did NOT always have the maximum 60 days vacation time in the bank.

It wasn't lack of desire to use the time off; it was the lack of opportunity.
"Sorry, we can't let you take any leave because of [fill in the crisis of the month]."

Well I'm doing my part to address the national tragedy of not enough leisure hours. Someone else can have my old job, I'm done with it.

But I think US is also way ahead on number of people who FIRE under 55.

Maybe it is because here in land of "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness" you can work hard and you can also play hard.

Back
Top Bottom