Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-06-2007, 07:45 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natesal View Post
The assistantship covers tuition, health insurance, and then it gives you $14k for apartment, gass, food etc etc
OK, that's a lot more reasonable. Are you allowed to do private tutoring for extra income?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2007, 08:42 PM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
OK, that's a lot more reasonable. Are you allowed to do private tutoring for extra income?
heh yeah, I WISH I had 14k of spending money lying around! I do believe I can do whatever I wish in my spare time. As it stands though, how much spare time I will have is up in the air. With 20 hours a week being invested into research, 9 into classes, and then another 18-30 for studying, it is going to be a stretch. I'll see though. It pays good money to tutor, especially if you are good (and I think I'm not to shabby )

An update on how our move is going-

our place looks good, things are almost unpacked although today we ran into some problems when my girlfriend ran the washer. The drainage tube was not hooked up... fortunately our living space and kitchen is all tile and we caught the wall of water rushing through our apartment before it reached the carpet or electronics. Took about 2 hours of sopping things up and mopping the soapy water but nothing was ruined and there shouldn't be any water damage. Fortunately we were home and in the living area when it happened otherwise we would be out of our $600 deposit!! eek.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:25 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natesal View Post
heh yeah, I WISH I had 14k of spending money lying around! I do believe I can do whatever I wish in my spare time. As it stands though, how much spare time I will have is up in the air. With 20 hours a week being invested into research, 9 into classes, and then another 18-30 for studying, it is going to be a stretch. I'll see though. It pays good money to tutor, especially if you are good (and I think I'm not to shabby )
I count 59 hours. That's just barely a full time job

You've got lots of spare time for a second job.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:35 PM   #24
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webzter View Post
I count 59 hours. That's just barely a full time job

You've got lots of spare time for a second job.

heh I expected to hear that as soon as I typed it. The big problem I see is undergrads usually only seek tutoring right before big exams, which is most likely when I will be having mine. We'll see though. I'm crossing my fingers that I will be able to do something like that on the side.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:54 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

On a more serious note, you should be careful not to burn yourself out while doing your post-grad work. There will be plenty of time to earn after you graduate; take advantage of your surroundings now while you have a flex schedule... nothing like hiking when you have time between classes and all of the working stiffs are plugging away at their 9-5.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:28 PM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webzter View Post
On a more serious note, you should be careful not to burn yourself out while doing your post-grad work. There will be plenty of time to earn after you graduate; take advantage of your surroundings now while you have a flex schedule... nothing like hiking when you have time between classes and all of the working stiffs are plugging away at their 9-5.

Now that's more along my line of thinking! Although for me it's probably going to the tennis or racquetball courts to let off a little extra energy before going back to my lab. There is also the campus golf course next to my building and it's like $14 to play a round for students. I know that doesn't really fit in with the whole savings thing but I'll have to treat myself once in a while. Plus that is dirt cheap for greens fees.