Join Early Retirement Today

22yo planning for early retirement
Old 03-23-2016, 11:43 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

22yo planning for early retirement

Hi everyone, my name is Peter. I am 22 years old, married, and on active duty in the Navy. Home for me is upstate NY, but I am currently stationed in San Diego, CA. My goal is to retire in my 40's. I have 2 years in the Navy before I get out and join the reserves. My wife is 2 years away from earning her masters in school pychology. We have paid for her schooling with no loans so that when she graduates we won't have any college debt. I have about $10,000 invested in roth TSP (military 401k) and a few thousand saved. My plan for after get off active duty is to join the navy reserves in order to secure a retirement after 20 years of service, and recieve affordable health care. I am planning on finishing my college degree on the navy's dime after I leave active duty. Once we are both working full time I plan to invest in rental properties until I can generate enough income from rental properties to bridge us until we are old enough to recieve SS/pensions as well as maxing out our 401k's and continuing to invest in my roth tsp. I am glad to have found this forum and hope it will help me reach my goals even faster!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2016, 07:30 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi Peter! Glad to see another young person here, I'm 26 myself. Sounds like you're off to a great start with everything and have plenty of time to get your ER goal achieved. It took me about 3 years of heavy saving but now my investments are starting to do serious work compared to what I put into them, so if you can stay motivated the first couple of years, the money starts to reward itself quickly!

Old 03-24-2016, 10:35 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Good plan Pete. Congratulations on your early wisdom.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:07 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum and you are way ahead of most people, including myself at age 22. Your plan sounds excellent.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:14 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome, good goals. Meanwhile don't forget to enjoy your life and find something you really like to do.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:07 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Word of advice, be really careful with your first rental house. They can be profitable or a real pain. Do a lot of research and become a handy a possible.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:11 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome Pete! You're off to a good start. Some words of advice. Slow and steady wins the race. Pay yourself first. Balance saving for tomorrow with living for today.

Some would say that managing a portfolio of rentals is work, not retirement but I say being your own boss and managing your own time is priceless.... so stay the course.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlow65 View Post
Word of advice, be really careful with your first rental house. They can be profitable or a real pain. Do a lot of research and become a handy a possible.
Thanks for the advice. I want my first rental property to be a duplex or triplex and live in one unit with the hope of being able to live there for free or close to it until me and the wife are ready to move up to a bigger house and start a family.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:33 PM   #9

Thanks for the kind words and motivation everyone. I am very glad to have found this forum. If I made it sound like all I think about is finances that isn't the case at all. I love to hunt, fish, workout, and do as much traveling as I can with my wife.
Old 03-26-2016, 01:41 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete26 View Post
I have about $10,000 invested in roth TSP (military 401k) and a few thousand saved. My plan for after get off active duty is to join the navy reserves in order to secure a retirement after 20 years of service, and recieve affordable health care. I am planning on finishing my college degree on the navy's dime after I leave active duty.
Sounds like a good plan. Keep saving in the TSP and for your transition fund, but if you're drilling in the Reserves while you're finishing your degree then you'll be in good financial shape.

Take a look at The-Military-Guide.com and let me know whether you have any questions!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:57 PM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe

Welcome! I am at 12 years active duty AF. You've probably heard about the military retirement overhaul. I am not sure how that applies to the reserves, but make sure you do your research, especially if switching is an option. Also, remember that you are entitled to a retirement pension after 20 years of qualifying service, but you can't collect until you hit 60 years old.

Sent from my HTC One using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 04-01-2016, 07:54 PM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

Welcome...always nice to see a young guy with his priorities right.

Good luck with your plan, it sounds very good and thank you for your service!
Old 04-01-2016, 08:53 PM   #13

Welcome Pete. Sounds like you have a great plan in place.
One thing to consider if you go the landlord route - it can be challenging to be a long distance landlord and the military tends to move families around. That said - I have several current and former military friends who've had great luck being a landlord - buying a home at every duty station. Another advantage (I'm guessing)... I think bases will connect military landlords and newly incoming families. I live near Miramar - and I see military families rotating every few years on a couple of houses in my neighborhood.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:34 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not to take a dump in the punchbowl, but(t)...

As someone who start chasing ER in their 20s and now in their 40s, I would encourage you not to set out with ER as a goal. Know that it is a possibility, know that it would be nice, but don't make it a goal. Save your pennies, work hard, do the things that increase your wealth and financial flexibility. But spend your time living life, not marching toward a (very) far off goal that may or may not be possible when you get to the limit of how far you can march. Live life first.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:52 PM   #15

I agree with brewer on this. Have a plan - but don't forget to enjoy life.