Join Early Retirement Today

2nd Interview w/same organization
Old 11-07-2005, 08:59 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

2nd Interview w/same organization

Wish me luck everyone. I'll be out of my cube and into a bull pen in no time!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: 2nd Interview w/same organization
Old 11-07-2005, 09:09 AM   #2

Luck!

You know we did a company visit last Friday.* Walked in and nothing but cubes as far as the eye could see.* Sent chills down my spine.* First thing that came to mind ---- cube rats.* Why do companies put employees in cubes anyway?* *
Old 11-07-2005, 09:12 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Temp housing for temp employees...

But, good luck anyway!!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 11:44 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The corporate standards for employees is very specific on the size and furnishings of work areas based on job levels (grades). Most exempt employees below the Director level are in cubes. This means that managers and supervisors are in cubes. Anytime they need to have a "talk" with their employees, they need to go to an empty office (fat chance) or a conference room (even fatter chance) to get some privacy to talk. This is crazy.

Cubes are to give one the illusion of privacy. There is no such thing when you live in a cube farm. I have lived in them for many years and hated it. My wife works in an area that has Pods. Even smaller and less private (no walls) than a cube. They cram a ton of Pods on this huge floor and the noise is deafening.

I find it demeaning and distracting. Most of the people in cubes find a way to keep their sanity through headphones with music and with personal touches to the cube that most upper management would find "inappropriate." Here is a good source for these items if you are intersted. Christmas is coming and this is the place to find that certain something for the geeks on your list.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/
Old 11-07-2005, 02:37 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

It is interesting that MS has their programmers in private offices while Valley programmers work in cubes.* Price of realestate?

Hey, it's better than 'hoteling'!
Old 11-07-2005, 05:57 PM   #6

cube ghetto = corporate prison

This particular organization I interviewed with today is not a corporation, which makes all the more appealling to me. I'm sick of Dilbertism day in and day out.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:00 PM   #7

Good luck.......Hope it works out for you.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 06:47 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Good luck cube_rat!! What will you wear to the interview? You should post a pic for our collective approval!

WRT cubes, my work employs them, but fortunately I work for an aspect/department where we are compartmented into small groups in large offices, so about six of us sit behind a door only we can get into. I'm a social person (I'm sure you didn't notice) so this situation is pretty ideal to me.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 07:58 AM   #9

Thank God I don't work for a large corporation.

You all have my sympathies on the cubes. I'm starting to feel really lucky to have a 10 x 12 office with two windows and a door!

Good luck on the interview Rat!

Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 10:00 AM   #10

I spent years working in cubes with low walls and then graduated to cubes with high walls.

The low walls were very noisy and distracting since you could see everything that was going on. For those of us that were distracted easily, it was tough to work.

High walls afforded less distraction and when paired with earphones and great music, were tolerable.
Working from home was the best, even though I worked for a large corporation previously mentioned on this board.

But not working IS the best
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 09:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
The corporate standards for employees is very specific on the size and furnishings of work areas based on job levels (grades). Most exempt employees below the Director level are in cubes. This means that managers and supervisors are in cubes.
Managers at our place of work have nice offices.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:26 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
Managers at our place of work have nice offices.
The company built the building I am in 2 years ago and used Feng Shui in the design. In other words, they made the building with almost no offices and every wall is slanted (few straight lines). Managers, Assoc. Directors and supervisors are all in the "correctly sized" cube. Heaven help you if you have someone in the wrong sized one. They designed the building for an expected staffing level growth of about 5 years; however, when the actually saw what the finished building was going to really cost, the reduced the amount of built out space by 20% and made all the cubes smaller. Many people were in offices previously but when they moved here they went into cubes...low walled ones at that. The company had to bring in a shrink to deal with all the "adjustment issues" that this created. People are still #itching about it.

I have lived in both worlds; offices and cubes and I much prefer an office. There is very little gained by creating vast Prairie Dog Towns of cubes other than lower cost in building and the false sense of "teamwork" that the cubes are supposed to create. BULL! They just create more noise and keep people from speaking their minds because every one can hear everything you say. It creates stress and an artificial environment.

Another misguided management program. :
Old 11-09-2005, 08:50 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

My first job out of college was with a large corp that had a cube environment only without the cubes. Hundreds of desk lined up with nothing between you. How would you like to try to do your job with absolutely no privacy? I would have taken the cube back then.*
Old 11-09-2005, 09:59 AM   #14

Quote:
My first job out of college was with a large corp that had a cube environment only without the cubes. Hundreds of desk lined up with nothing between you. How would you like to try to do your job with absolutely no privacy? I would have taken the cube back then.
Can we start PETE? People for the Ethical Treatment of Employees
Old 11-09-2005, 12:03 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Talk about coincidences......., I am having a "discussion" with my boss on cube issues today. The issue is grade level (his case) against function (my case). He want to move a person recently promoted to a slightly higer grade but has no direct reports. I have a new person that has direct reports. I want the slightly larger cube for my person, even though they have a lower grade (by one grade), so they have space to have their direct report in their cube for daily discussions and as needed.

I hate corp. rules.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
Talk about coincidences......., I am having a "discussion" with my boss on cube issues today.* The issue is grade level (his case) against function (my case).* He want to move a person recently promoted to a slightly higer grade but has no direct reports.* I have a new person that has direct reports.* I want the slightly larger cube for my person, even though they have a lower grade (by one grade), so they have space to have their direct report in their cube for daily discussions and as needed.*

I hate corp. rules.*
Grrr. People with direct reports need a private office. I work in place where people above me (with direct reports) share an itty bitty office! As a result people fill up conference rooms in order to to conduct their 1:1 meetings. It's not like there's no available spaces. There's tons of empty offices, but it's corporate policy to have people below a director level share an office, regardless of direct reports. What a bunch of crap. I don't want to be promoted with my current employer, thank you very much.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:08 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

For years I worked in an enviornment out of NYPD Blue (complete with desk with WPA numbers still attached). Would have killed for a cube.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:22 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Talk about crazy, my new boss has 90 direct reports. 9-0. He has a double cube (I call them double-wides, because twice the amount of ghetto living space is still ghetto). Meanwhile I know a 4 guys with offices all next to each other who have no direct reports, but they are "Directors" so they have to have offices. In fact, that department just promoted two more people to Director level, and will be kicking a dozen people out of their cubes and into cubes being set up on our factory floor so that they can have offices built for them. Ah, mega-corp.

laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 08:04 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
For years I worked in an enviornment out of NYPD Blue (complete with desk with WPA numbers still attached).* Would have killed for a cube.
Yeah, I'm enjoying this thread too.

When GEN Pagonis was running his logistics show, staff meetings were held in a room without chairs. Attendees were allowed to bring any reference materials they wished, as long as they fit on an index card (pre-Palm Pilot days). It wonderfully focused everyone's attention on the business at hand, kept the BSing to a minimum, and ensured that briefs didn't drag on.

I've been in briefs where the Marines limited a person's briefing time to their ability to talk with one hand immersed in a bucket of ice water. It helps you keep on topic...

Speaking of USMC, ex-Jarhead, happy semper fi birthday!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote