Join Early Retirement Today

3 Years to Go!
Old 02-22-2006, 05:59 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

3 Years to Go!

After much noodling, soul searching, calculating, and reading these boards I've been able to narrow my previously indeterminate retirement date (. . . Yrs to Go) down to a more definitive "3 Yrs to Go"

Thanks to everyone here for your help.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: 3 Years to Go!
Old 02-22-2006, 06:25 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats! I'm jealous, and at home I have to deal with DW counting down to retirement in days!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:45 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats, 3!

That is excellent!!! It will go by before you know it.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:50 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Congrats!* I'm jealous, and at home I have to deal with DW counting down to retirement in days!*
Yes, but in her case, it's not really a true "retirement".
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 07:00 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby
Yes, but in her case, it's not really a true "retirement".
Maybe, maybe not. My wife has told me more than once that she is living the life she would choose if we had won the lottery, with the exception of my absence during working hours.

Congrats, 3 Yrs. Must be nice to be in the homestretch. Have you figured out what you want to do once you have your liberty?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:15 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I'll add my congratulations!* It must be great to have a pretty solid "light at the end of the tunnel".* I'm looking at roughly 9 years to go, but there are tons of x-factors.* Best wishes...
dunc0029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:43 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Maybe, maybe not. My wife has told me more than once that she is living the life she would choose if we had won the lottery, with the exception of my absence during working hours.
Let me guess...she'd have the absences run a little longer?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:53 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bulldog
Let me guess...she'd have the absences run a little longer?
Since that would mean no reprieve from daily toddler wrangling duties, I can safely say that she'd rather have me around more.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:42 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ok, to commemorate my 1000th post, I decided to post my "final" time-frame for ER.

DW will ER September 9, 2007 at age 55 with 22 years of dedicated service.

I will ER (second time) on August 31 at age 55 with 33 years in this industry.

We plan on a big party that will last the whole weekend followed by an extended "vacation" of sleeping late, goofing off, burning old w#rk files and generally learning to entertain our selves.

Shortly thereafter, we will start taking our See America road trips and plan on sponging off visiting family members in different parts of the country. We will do a New Years Eve cruise in the Caribbean followed by more family visits outside the snow belt for extended periods until Spring. After that, we plan of starting our volunteer activities and planning our goofing off schedule around our taking it easy schedule.

Our spending plans start off high and taper off as debt is eliminated over the next 6 years. We can do it while in ER so why w@rk during this time if we don’t need to? Spending will be about 60% of current income but will drop to 40% by year 7. That is still a nice chunk of change and will allow a lot of extras that we plan on taking advantage of while we still can. As it is, we will still give our kids a nice estate tax problem to deal with.

Looking forward to counting down the days once we pass 12 months to go.

Good luck to all you guys in your journey to FI and ER
Old 02-23-2006, 11:44 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

There are some days at w*** when tomorrow seems like too long, and dumpster diving has appeal...

But, I'm above all that...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 02:56 PM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe

Congrats Yrs to go, How'd you do it?
captain_krunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 05:22 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_krunk
Congrats Yrs to go, How'd you do it?
Well, its not done yet, although it looks good on paper.

I'd like to say that we did it by careful planning, scrupulous savings, and above average investment prowess . . . but that's not the truth. The reality is that most of the heavy lifting was accomplished by making some good career choices.

In retrospect, some aspects of my job that could be considered "negatives" probably helped guide me toward financial independence. For example, I don't have, nor could I ever expect, a company provided pension. But the absence of a pension has always been a primary driver behind my decision to save (or not spend). Although I never had a detailed retirement plan, I knew that if I ever wanted to retire I needed to save - a lot. Lack of job security also encouraged savings, while a compensation structure heavily weighted toward annual, lump-sum, bonuses made savings easier. I decided early on to save 100% of each year's bonus, which now account for about 80% of my total compensation.

About 2 years ago my wife quit her office job to pursue a freelance writing career. She's made very good progress and is beginning to break into travel writing. With a laptop and a cell phone she can work anywhere in the world, and spin some extra cash out of our leisure pursuits. Our intention is to do that part-time so we don't have to lean on our portfolio quite so hard - at least initially. It's also something that can be ramped up or down depending on how the market and inflation are treating us.

All things considered, 3 years seems like it strikes a reasonable balance. We've got enough padding built into the plan so it should stand up against some unforeseen events but not so much that we're working extra years just to see the pile grow.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:40 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Since that would mean no reprieve from daily toddler wrangling duties, I can safely say that she'd rather have me around more.
I'm familiar with it. In fact, the wifes 10 minutes late coming home right now. She better be bringing home food...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:01 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Or baring gifts...

Old 02-23-2006, 08:07 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Funds, Will Retire
Or baring gifts...*
Hey, don't start him on that train of thought, with TH & Gabe in the world already the last thing we need to do is keep propagating those genes...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 08:11 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Based on his history in that arena...* :P

HFWR, the other slut

Old 02-24-2006, 11:08 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Jumbo cheeseburger WITH bacon. And that other thing too. Well worth the extra 15 minutes of babysitting.

Wifes actually pressing for a second one. AIYEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Old 02-24-2006, 11:32 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Wifes actually pressing for a second one. AIYEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Yeah my wife was after the same thing. So, I waited until our son was acting like a REAL two year old and said to her "Gee just think about going through this with another baby!" Repeat 5-10 times and she'll be cured

Old 02-24-2006, 01:02 PM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Jumbo cheeseburger WITH bacon. And that other thing too. Well worth the extra 15 minutes of babysitting.

Wifes actually pressing for a second one. AIYEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
A second baby, or Jumbo Cheeseburger with bacon?
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 03:07 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Wifes actually pressing for a second one.* AIYEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Who is she pressing?* Is she planning on involving you with the project, too, or is she going to "outsource"?

I don't know if you've done the math already, but two grownups :: one kid means that you're already outnumbered and undergunned... and the ratio of more kids is at least a cube.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote