Join Early Retirement Today

4 more millionaires
Old 02-22-2007, 06:18 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

4 more millionaires

This "tip" was suprising:

Quote:

Avoiding discount warehouses. "I stopped shopping (at Costco) about nine years ago when I realized I was overspending in a feeble attempt to save money."
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...es.aspx?page=1
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: 4 more millionaires
Old 02-22-2007, 06:28 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A simple thing to do when going grocery shopping is to WRITE A LIST of what you need. This simple step will save you the most money. Next is to use coupons.

Another thing I do if I think I want something I really don't need is to write it down on a list and put it aside. If I still want it after 30 days I'll buy it.

It is amazing all that you can save by doing this.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:25 AM   #3

Depends on what you buy at the warehouse stores....yes, you can get better deals on some items if you shop around...
Old 02-22-2007, 08:37 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I never read the article only the highlight, but as far as I'm concerned, it's buyer beware. Not all items at Costco or any discounted warehouse is cheaper and as long as you don't end up buying to much and end up throwing it out. You'll do fine by the savings. With the executive card the savings go towards the annual fee. It's win win for us.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:59 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I don't agree with the Costco advice. It's easy to buy only what you need there, and only when it is cheaper than at the grocery store.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:06 AM   #6

#2 could have had a lot more if he hadn't day traded in the dot com era and if he hadn't panicked and put everything into bonds in 2001.
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:20 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I don't really care about my spending at the grocery store.. I am single and can't eat that much anyhow... even if I 'overspend', it is not enough to worry about...

it is the big ticket items that bother me, or the annuity ones like cable etc... they add up if you don't watch out for them..
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 11:17 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
I don't agree with the Costco advice. It's easy to buy only what you need there, and only when it is cheaper than at the grocery store.
Me too.

We shop at Sam's and Costco for certain items only. It is very easy to get sucked up into buying the odd item that you may never use but sure looked neat and must be cheaper because it is at a "warehouse." Buy every day items in bulk but be sure you are really saving money. Write down the unit cost in your favorite grocery store and then compare to the warehouse stores. We have found that fresh meats are a much better value at Sam's while other items.. not so much.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:32 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I like the meats at Costco. However, soft drinks are a lot cheaper when they go on sale at the local grocery store.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:31 PM   #10

I disagree 100% with the comment on Costco

In the 6 months that my wife and I have split our shopping between costco our grocery bills are down 25%

We go through a lot of fish, granola bars, salad, fruit, etc. Costco has been a huge money saver for us.

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:10 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc
I like the meats at Costco. However, soft drinks are a lot cheaper when they go on sale at the local grocery store.
I totally agree with that, especially when Food Basic has the 2 litre Coke products for .87 cents just a while ago. Now it's on for .97 or .99 cents, something like that.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:38 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Many reasons to love Costco:

some basic staples are almost always cheaper there, especially items that do not go on sale in grocery stores like milk, eggs, bananas, salad items, produce

unless you hit a good sale, Costco is still usually cheaper for many cereals, OJ, canned soup and the like

you can also get what you want at Costco on the spur of the moment without waiting for a sale and stocking up

on the flip side, if there is a good sale at the supermarket and you also have a coupon, it can be much better than Costco

on milk alone we save $3 week which covers the annual membership in a few months
firewhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dream
Food Basic has the 2 litre Coke products for .87 cents just a while ago. Now it's on for .97 or .99 cents, something like that.
Damn! Is everything else priced to such insanely low levels?!?!?
Old 02-25-2007, 05:01 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I always found that having a good meal before going shopping. It stops all the binge foods all though food that look so good at the time. Also on big-ticket items I say to myself I’ll buy it next week. By the time next week arrives I have checked out the prices else ware or found I don’t need it.