401K Advice Needed

Gail

Recycles dryer sheets
My daughter has about $15,000 in a 401K from a former job. Ordinarily, I would advise her to roll it to an IRA, but.....one of her investments is DODGX, which is of course closed to new investors.
We both like that fund and feel it has a place in her portfolio. With that in mind, should she leave her money in the 401K? Is it possible for her to roll her 401K into an IRA while keeping her money invested in DODGX?

Gail said:
My daughter has about $15,000 in a 401K from a former job. Ordinarily, I would advise her to roll it to an IRA, but.....one of her investments is DODGX, which is of course closed to new investors.
We both like that fund and feel it has a place in her portfolio. With that in mind, should she leave her money in the 401K? Is it possible for her to roll her 401K into an IRA while keeping her money invested in DODGX?
Gail - I'm thinking if she rolls, DODGX will transfer also...
I agree Dodge & Cox is a good outfit. Talk to the brokerage that would have the IRA.

When I rolled, everything stayed in place.

Gail said:
Is it possible for her to roll her 401K into an IRA while keeping her money invested in DODGX?

Yes. Dodge & Cox will allow those rolling from a 401(k) investment in one of their closed funds to open an IRA in that same fund. You will need to show D&C a statement from your daughter's 401(k) account documenting she was invested in the fund prior to the rollover.

Details are at http://www.dodgeandcox.com/

Thanks to both of you. That's exactly what we needed to know.

I thought rolling your 401k to an IRA custodian 'in kind' was a no brainer for either Vanguard or Fidelity.

Back
Top Bottom