5 Mistakes That Will Crush Retirement Dreams

Status
Not open for further replies.
I HATE the UW because years ago they cut off funding to Planned Parenthood because of pressure from the religious right. This is a fact! I was informed that they've since reversed this decision, but the respect was already lost.

2035, OTOH, UW here on the left coast cut Boy Scouts out because of their stance on homosexuality. And as a conservative, I dislike their leftist bent.

(When my boys were in the "big 3" issues were the three "G's" - God, Gays and Girls. Still the same.

I do agree with that; we had something similar at my first Megacorp. I also remember that some people were resentful because they felt UW supported causes that they were personally opposed to, and they felt pressure to give anyway.

For me, giving to UW was too much like having my taxes increased to support Big Gov't and then counting on Big Gov't to take care of all those in need. I'm happier being more personally involved with smaller, more focused organizations.

The UW entry on my check stub looked just like another tax. Here in Illinois, we never count on even a single penny of our taxes making it to the intended target.

Last edited:
All of which reminds me that charity needs to be truly voluntary and according to our own consciences, because no two of us have the same conscience or full set of values. Which is a big reason why the concept of "charity under pressure" rubs me the wrong way.

It's a shame you blame the United Way for the Nazi tactics of some individual businesses to get 100% participation. Those pressures/requirements don't come from UW, they come from the zealous folks managing companies who want to look good in the community by forcing all to participate.

they come from the zealous folks managing companies who want to look good in the community by forcing all to participate.

Yes, and UW gives them an opportunity to. Its no different than a manager insisting you donate to their Church or to family member birthdays ect.
Has no place in the business world.

I doubt your statement the UW has nothing to do with the methods of collection. Why would they have my SS number if they weren't tracking it themselves? They provide all the materials for collection also.
I would not give at work and I sure won't now that I am retired.

Plenty of other ways to donate to charity. Why mess with UW? What is your interest in UW since your such a supporter?

It's a shame you blame the United Way for the Nazi tactics of some individual businesses to get 100% participation. Those pressures/requirements don't come from UW, they come from the zealous folks managing companies who want to look good in the community by forcing all to participate.

Of course, there's no way you could know how things were presented to us at the MegaCorp I toiled at, nor I at yours, but.........

Each year United Way organizers came in to speak to management and the unfortunate "department representatives" about the importance of having 100% or near 100% participation. I agree that company management could have simply kept UW out. But once in, their literature, their motivational presentations (we had Mike Singletary preach to us) and their suggested procedures for canvasing and soliciting participation were very high pressure.

It was definitely NOT a case where a low key charity was trumped up by business management so business management could "look good in the community."

It could have been completely different way out there on the edge of the wilderness......

All the way back when I was in the Air Force. They sent an Officer to talk to us young Airmen about United Way. Kind of a force disparity don't you think? Same techniques at all the companies I worked for. Use management to intimidate the workers. This is a pre canned method of collection that UW has used for a long time. And it works for them.

It is sad to see unfounded statements like this one.

Unfortunately the actions of one individual at the national level of United Way a few years ago created this misconception.

United Way charities are locally run and locally managed. While what you say may be true for some locations, that is the exception rather than the rule. I have comprehensive knowledge of two United Way organizations (San Antonio and Midland, TX) and can attest they are very cost efficient.
It's NOT unfounded.

When my sister worked for the U.S. Postal Service in the Dallas area, they put the pressure on her from Day One to donate part of each paycheck to charity...and they really wanted that charity to be the United Way. She told them she had to know what percentage of her donations would go to actually helping people in need. When she was told 11% she told them to stick it. 89% went to "Administration" and if you've ever seen their office in downtown Dallas, you'd see why.

[Mod Edit]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp2C7zKC0vk

Last edited by a moderator:
United Way in each community is a reflection of that community. Some are excellent, some average, and there is the occaisional problem. Overall, UW has accomplished a tremendous amount of good. My sense is that they have attempted to convince companies to avoid coercion, but of course, it still exists. The overhead costs of UW are reasonable, typically around 10 to 15%. Our UW offers the opportunity to designate to any organization, in or out of UW, so many people I know choose Planned Parenthood or other orgs that may not be UW funded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom