Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 04:40 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hello Ha - thank you for this. Well if there is not a single ER-approved, universal way to calculate savings ratios, then I stand by my initial figures : 80-90% savings rate. My formula makes sense (to me anyway :-) )

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Now wait a minute partner. Who is to say that his math should use the same principles as your math, or anybody else's math. After all, it is his math. While his report might appear odd at first hearing, stranger things have been recounted on this board.

Ha
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2012, 04:44 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Now wait a minute partner. Who is to say that his math should use the same principles as your math, or anybody else's math. After all, it is his math. While his report might appear odd at first hearing, stranger things have been recounted on this board.

Ha
As usual, you put forth 110% effort in your posts...

In other news, North Korea Says Its Archaeologists Discovered A 'Unicorn Lair' : NPR
Old 12-05-2012, 04:47 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Hello Ha - thank you for this. Well if there is not a single ER-approved, universal way to calculate savings ratios, then I stand by my initial figures : 80-90% savings rate. My formula makes sense.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:59 AM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm currently saving 100% of my salary, having paid off all but two rental properties.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:58 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I should stay away from financial numbers. They don't really interest me since I am not materialistic nor greedy.
now, one need not be materialistic nor greedy to want to be interested financial numbers. In fact, it seems that quite the opposite characteristics drive people here to stay close to their finances/stats.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:57 AM   #66
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
I should stay away from financial numbers. They don't really interest me since I am not materialistic nor greedy. What is more important, in my view, is what I do with my money, such as sending medicines to third world countries, give to United Way, or help support free clinics.
You need to check out what percentage of donations you send to the United Way actually go towards helping people. Historically it's been VERY LOW.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by crg7 View Post
You need to check out what percentage of donations you send to the United Way actually go towards helping people. Historically it's been VERY LOW.
It is sad to see unfounded statements like this one.

Unfortunately the actions of one individual at the national level of United Way a few years ago created this misconception.

United Way charities are locally run and locally managed. While what you say may be true for some locations, that is the exception rather than the rule. I have comprehensive knowledge of two United Way organizations (San Antonio and Midland, TX) and can attest they are very cost efficient.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #68

So how cost efficient or not cost efficient is United Way? I don't see any numbers.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Saving 40% is a lot easier if it can be done before taxes. Having Uncle Sam help is nice.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #70
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

Unfortunately the actions of one individual at the national level of United Way a few years ago created this misconception.

United Way charities are locally run and locally managed. While what you say may be true for some locations, that is the exception rather than the rule. I have comprehensive knowledge of two United Way organizations (San Antonio and Midland, TX) and can attest they are very cost efficient.
Yep -- and if you go to a site like Charity Navigator and search on "United Way", you'll see that their ratings are all over the map, from excellent to, well, not very good.

Charity Navigator - America's Largest Charity Evaluator | Home
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 02-18-2013, 09:51 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crg7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Yep -- and if you go to a site like Charity Navigator and search on "United Way", you'll see that their ratings are all over the map, from excellent to, well, not very good.

Charity Navigator - America's Largest Charity Evaluator | Home
I was just going to suggest the same independent website.

While I'm not a big fan of UW, overall it appears their ratings are relatively good...
Attached Images
File Type: png UW.png (437.0 KB, 6 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 02-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #72

I would not donate to United Way no matter what. My reason is that the United Way drives at work were based on intimidation. They would get a manager to run the drive then insist on 100% participation. You had to turn your card in or you would be harassed. In addition UW tracked the "donations" by social security numbers that the company gave them.

So their score is 0 as far as I am concerned. And that is how much they will get from me.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:35 AM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I dislike the UW because of the pressure. I w*rked in a small group, and was *personally* responsible for our group not getting a "gold" award. I refused to allow my employer to have information on my charitable giving. That has no place in the w*rkplace. Too much employee time was spent on the drive (IMHO).
Old 02-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

I HATE the UW because years ago they cut off funding to Planned Parenthood because of pressure from the religious right. This is a fact! I was informed that they've since reversed this decision, but the respect was already lost.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:41 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWeinel View Post
I dislike the UW because of the pressure. I w*rked in a small group, and was *personally* responsible for our group not getting a "gold" award. I refused to allow my employer to have information on my charitable giving. That has no place in the w*rkplace. Too much employee time was spent on the drive (IMHO).
I do agree with that; we had something similar at my first Megacorp. I also remember that some people were resentful because they felt UW supported causes that they were personally opposed to, and they felt pressure to give anyway.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 02-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2035 View Post
I HATE the UW because years ago they cut off funding to Planned Parenthood because of pressure from the religious right. This is a fact! I was informed that they've since reversed this decision, but the respect was already lost.
2035, OTOH, UW here on the left coast cut Boy Scouts out because of their stance on homosexuality. And as a conservative, I dislike their leftist bent.

(When my boys were in the "big 3" issues were the three "G's" - God, Gays and Girls. Still the same.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:47 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I do agree with that; we had something similar at my first Megacorp. I also remember that some people were resentful because they felt UW supported causes that they were personally opposed to, and they felt pressure to give anyway.
For me, giving to UW was too much like having my taxes increased to support Big Gov't and then counting on Big Gov't to take care of all those in need. I'm happier being more personally involved with smaller, more focused organizations.

The UW entry on my check stub looked just like another tax. Here in Illinois, we never count on even a single penny of our taxes making it to the intended target.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

All of which reminds me that charity needs to be truly voluntary and according to our own consciences, because no two of us have the same conscience or full set of values. Which is a big reason why the concept of "charity under pressure" rubs me the wrong way.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #79

It's a shame you blame the United Way for the Nazi tactics of some individual businesses to get 100% participation. Those pressures/requirements don't come from UW, they come from the zealous folks managing companies who want to look good in the community by forcing all to participate.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:19 AM   #80

Quote:
they come from the zealous folks managing companies who want to look good in the community by forcing all to participate.
Yes, and UW gives them an opportunity to. Its no different than a manager insisting you donate to their Church or to family member birthdays ect.
Has no place in the business world.

I doubt your statement the UW has nothing to do with the methods of collection. Why would they have my SS number if they weren't tracking it themselves? They provide all the materials for collection also.
I would not give at work and I sure won't now that I am retired.

Plenty of other ways to donate to charity. Why mess with UW? What is your interest in UW since your such a supporter?