Join Early Retirement Today

5 Ways to Retire Before Age 40
Old 08-02-2010, 05:27 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

5 Ways to Retire Before Age 40

Here are five general principles from Yahoo Finance. They won't be new to most forum members here, but it never hurts to chant the mantra.

5-ways-to-retire-before-age-40: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

Quote:
Leaving the workforce behind before the age of forty is an extraordinary accomplishment and it requires dedication, intensity, and a willingness to live differently.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'd say many of us are not only willing to live differently, but insist on it!

Old 08-02-2010, 09:08 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I'd say many of us are not only willing to live differently, but insist on it!
Well this is definitely thinking differently:
Quote:
Consider a new definition of retirement. You may still want to work in retirement to earn additional money, particularly if you can do work you enjoy. Consider a part-time job or even a full-time job with a non-profit organization aligned with your interests and values.
You can retire at 40, as long as you don't mind working full time?

-ERD50
Old 08-02-2010, 09:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Consider a part-time job or even a full-time job with a non-profit organization aligned with your interests and values.
Agree it's a bit of a non sequitur. I guess the idea is that retirement allows you to do w*rk that's truly meaningful to you. I've heard so many horror stories about w*rking at nonprofits that I probably wouldn't go this route, though.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:35 PM   #5

Another shallow, incomplete and useless article:

Why is retiring before 40 extreme? It seems a sensible objective to me. I wish I'd managed to do it.

Why ignore what other people think? Which people are they talking about? If you want to retire early, listening to what other people who have retired early or who are planning to think seems sensible to me.

As to changing the definition of retirement? Big Brother would be proud of this one - being required to keep working to fund your retirement is totally inconsistent with the notion of being retired.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:43 AM   #6

Here are my six ways to retire really early. I've watched a few people do it. In order:

1) Inherit a bunch of money really early. Works great if you can LWYM (live within your means).
2) Inherit a bunch of money late, as in your late 40's. See above.
3) Do something early to give you an income stream. Patenting (and licensing) some great invention works here.
4) Win a big lottery.
5) Get a job with mega-corp. Get stock options as part of pay package. Have them stagnate for years as you acquire more and more. Just as they are about to expire worthless have mega-corp stock sky-rocket up 6 -10, Exercise and tell everyone how smart you are.
6) LYBM, save and invest prudently.

Which one of these can you control? I ER'd on number 5, but it was blind luck. YMMV.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:42 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

public service pensions. LBYM.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:41 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
5) Get a job with mega-corp. Get stock options as part of pay package. Have them stagnate for years as you acquire more and more. Just as they are about to expire worthless have mega-corp stock sky-rocket up 6 -10, Exercise and tell everyone how smart you are.
6) LYBM, save and invest prudently.

Which one of these can you control? I ER'd on number 5, but it was blind luck. YMMV.
Variation on 5: Be an early employee of a start-up company that eventually becomes much larger.

You still have to to 6, or else you stay a wage slave.

IMO it's pretty darn hard to retire before 40 without some type of serious windfall (including selling the business that you started).

Audrey
Old 08-03-2010, 09:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronocnikral View Post
public service pensions. LBYM.
The only public pensioners I know who can receive checks before age 40 are military folks who joined out of high school and put in their 20, but I don't think many retired 39-year-old military folks can live off their military retirement alone, even with LBYM.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:06 AM   #10

I agree it was a shallow article. But can't agree with some of your comments below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
Why is retiring before 40 extreme? It seems a sensible objective to me. I wish I'd managed to do it.
Because it is extreme! Even amongst the folks on this board it is unusual. I'll bet fewer than 10% of the people on this extremely knowledgable board accomplished this. Think of retirement as a bell curve. Those retiring before 40 would be outliers on the far left. Not far up the slope at all. Those retiring in their 50s would be midway up the slope. 60s would be at the crest.

Quote:
Why ignore what other people think? Which people are they talking about? If you want to retire early, listening to what other people who have retired early or who are planning to think seems sensible to me.
Because most other people don't think about early retirement. To accomplish your goal you'll need either a very large income, accompanied by decent saving habits. Or a smaller income accompanied by increasingly good saving habits. Many other people simply don't think like this. More income simply means more toys. If you want to retire before 40 you'll need to hink differently.

Quote:
As to changing the definition of retirement? Big Brother would be proud of this one - being required to keep working to fund your retirement is totally inconsistent with the notion of being retired.
We agree here. Being REQUIRED to keep working isn't early retirement. Early retirement means you can keep working, perhaps doing something you love, etc., but do not need to.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:10 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Even amongst the folks on this board it is unusual. I'll bet fewer than 10% of the people on this extremely knowledgable board accomplished this. Think of retirement as a bell curve. Those retiring before 40 would be outliers on the far left. Not far up the slope at all. Those retiring in their 50s would be midway up the slope. 60s would be at the crest.
Here you go:

Age at retirement

Less than 5% of people on this board retired before 40.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:21 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

How to retire at 40?

1)Don't take on any DEBT, at all.....
2)Don't have kids
3)Save 35% of your take-home pay, or more.
4)Eat a lot of brown rice and fish you catch yourself.
5)Grow your own veggies
6)Work a side job, and save every penny from that

How hard was that?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:52 AM   #13

Join the military at 17 or 18, then retire at 37 or 38. Heck, you could even push it to 40.

But you would have to avoid debt and do some savings along the way. And avoid getting blown up overseas.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:04 PM   #14

Minor detail there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill View Post
And avoid getting blown up overseas.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
The only public pensioners I know who can receive checks before age 40 are military folks who joined out of high school and put in their 20, but I don't think many retired 39-year-old military folks can live off their military retirement alone, even with LBYM.
Here's a family profile from a couple of years ago that Money magazine did. Both were in the military and retired at 44 and 40 (although the money is pretty tight IMO....)

Retired at 40 - February 1, 2008
Old 08-03-2010, 12:15 PM   #16

I think the way to retire at 40 is to set your sites on it when you're 20. The problem is that very few 20-yr-olds know or care about FIRE.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:07 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
I think the way to retire at 40 is to set your sites on it when you're 20...
...and set your target for 35.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:44 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
...and set your target for 35.
That's my plan, at least in the near best case scenario. The planning definitely had to be well on its way by 20. If I had done amazing in law school, the best case scenario could have been 32.

Debt is actually OK, as long as it is mortgage/educational debt, the educational debt is lower than your first years pay, and you have the ability easily pay it off very quickly. Obviously you have to work a lot during school and/or the summers, and/or have a big scholarship. With how interest rates and house prices were last year, I could definitely see a small mortgage being very possible, if they absolutely knew where they would be working for awhile.

On the other hand, saving 35% isn't going to cut it, 50-60% is more likely necessary (unless the income is beyond even what most professionals make). At 35%, most people would not be able to retire until their late 40s, at the earliest, early 50s is much more likely.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:43 AM   #19

Anyone catch the article on CNN about condos for less than the price of a new car? Many in FL, in nice areas, going for $15 to $25K. I would guess you could live pretty cheaply after buying one with cash ($200 a month maint fees). Course they were only 900sqft 1 bedroom examples.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:48 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
I've heard so many horror stories about w*rking at nonprofits that I probably wouldn't go this route, though.
+1.

Occasional volunteer work is great, provided that it fits within your schedule and gives you a sense of fulfilment. But working for pay carries with it too many responsibilities and hassles, regardless of the nature of the employer.