Join Early Retirement Today

$500,000
Old 10-30-2011, 06:10 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

$500,000

I don't post on here too often, but I just wanted to celebrate with a bunch of anonymous like-minded people that I reached a new milestone. I have half a million in cash/investments. My last big milestone was $250,000 in late 2006 at age 27.

Have any of you hit milestone targets lately? Do you feel weird talking to other people about it, because you're worried that they will be jealous or want your $$$$?
daystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2011, 06:12 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations, daystar! I think that is GREAT, and at such a young age, too.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:16 PM   #3
Administrator

Well done -- especially in such a challenging investing environment.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
Administrator

Congratulations, that is great news. You have doubled your savings/investments in just 5 years to a very impressive bundle, and you are still very young.

Keep on saving and investing, you are doing brilliant
Old 10-30-2011, 06:20 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Just so I don't mislead anyone, I should mention that I got $66,000 in cash from my parents over the last 5 years. My parents gave my brother $100,000 for a down payment on a new house in 2007, but I didn't have any plans of buying a house for at least a few years, so my parents have been giving me the $100,000 in small increments.

The rest of the money came from living below my means and maxing out my 401K and Roth IRA every year.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:23 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daystar View Post
Just so I don't mislead anyone, I should mention that I got $66,000 in cash from my parents over the last 5 years. My parents gave my brother $100,000 for a down payment on a new house in 2007, but I didn't have any plans of buying a house for at least a few years, so my parents have been giving me the $100,000 in small increments.

The rest of the money came from living below my means and maxing out my 401K and Roth IRA every year.
Okay, but you've increased your investments from 250K to $434k, plus another $66k from your parents. That is still very impressive
Old 10-30-2011, 06:24 PM   #7
Administrator

Good job, and thanks for sharing with us.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:26 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations!

With the market volatility, I've hit the same milestone about 4 times this year!
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:10 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congrats, Daystar, on reaching that milestone at a young age and pretty soon after reaching the $250k mark. And through a severe down market in the middle of it.

It took me only 5 years to get from $250k to $500k but I was 35 when I was at $250k in 1998.

And like FD, I have hit the same milestone ($1M) several times in the last 18 months due to market volatility.

Next stop, $1M, Daystar?
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:20 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm hoping to this 1 million around age 40, which would be 8 years from now.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:37 PM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

Stick to it.... I kept a Handwritten yellow pad that plotted where I planned to be each year until I got to a mill. Looked at it the start of each year (to see how I was doing) and whenever some friend bought a new porsche or some other toy they didn't need. ( today they are still big hats and no cattle and i am 6 days from retiring) Helped me on the discipline and there was something about looking at a paper I started at 29 that was more satisfying then all those spreadsheets and income statements
Hnicols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:40 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Good for you for getting an early start and for your continued progress!

At what age are you thinking of retiring and what do you plan to do in retirement?
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:41 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I use a spreadsheet that I update once per month. I prefer not to look at my money more than about once a month because I could drive myself crazy with all the ups and downs of the stock market. I really don't think I'm depriving myself at all. I just live a simple life and I'm not out there to impress anyone.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:12 PM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

Sounds silly but I try to look more when the market is good then when bad.... I know what behaviors I am trying to reinforce. And agree it isn't about depriving yourself but is about knowing what you value.. I'll take a pickup over a Porsche every time (don't know how I would get hay to my horses in a Porsche anyway)
Hnicols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Do you feel weird talking to other people about it, because you're worried that they will be jealous or want your $$$$?
Yes, I would feel weird in normal conversation, but an anonymous community like this is ideal for sharing that sort of good news. Folks here not only understand, but can share your pride and enthusiasm.

There's no question that marking milestones like that is both extremely satisfying and also highly motivating (to get to the next milestone), so keep doing it, by all means.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:26 AM   #16

Congratulations, daystar. To answer your questions, I also hit a new milestone target recently. I do not feel weird talking about it since I can remain anonymous on this website. I would not share this information otherwise.
Quote:
Have any of you hit milestone targets lately? Do you feel weird talking to other people about it, because you're worried that they will be jealous or want your $$$$?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:03 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

How kind and thoughtful of your parents to treat you and your brother fairly. That's priceless.

Congratulations on your continuing efforts! I think you can share your milestone with your folks--they probably already know you are fiscally responsible, but as a parent I would be super happy to hear my child was doing well. And with us, of course--so keep those posts coming. We look forward to the $600K report.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:37 AM   #18

Congratulations on your latest milestone. You are doing great.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:04 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congrats!
Old 10-31-2011, 08:31 PM   #20
Confused about dryer sheets

"I can only be nice to one person today! Today is not your day...tomorrow doesn't look good either." I Like That

jojo bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote