Join Early Retirement Today

Re: 70% of people work for a "toxic boss"
Old 07-18-2006, 12:17 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Really?* That's hysterical.

Mom & Dad actually have a few pieces of land in NJ where the original deed says something along the lines of "his property shall not be owned by anyone of other than the white race."* *
must be jersey. i grew up in bergen county where there was a law on the books into the 60s & i think even the 70s that blacks had to be out of town by sundown. i can't imagine my parents were aware of it though, and i didn't learn about it until much later in life.

as for my toxic boss experience, only one toxin which lasted my final two years of work. he was just some creepy white guy. truly the type they should have kept out of town and i'm pretty sure he only got that position by some other division head "recommending" him for the job (saying: he's great; you'll love him. thinking: take this creep off my hands).

what a miserable sob. i only had to see him for two days in person once a year and listen to him once a month on a telephone conference (he was based in another state) but even that was more than i was willing to endure any longer. he poisoned the entire unit.

life has too much real misery as it is. why anyone would want to manufacture it is beyond me. and now i am beyond them.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2006, 08:22 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I wonder if having your toxic boss work for a toxic boss who works for a toxic boss who works for a toxic boss (and on and on) makes the situation worse?* Let's see, there is a seven in ten chance that my toxic boss works for a toxic boss and that he/she works for a toxic boss.........

Old 07-18-2006, 09:09 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

My current boss is a pretty nice guy. Unfortunately, he is set to retire soon. His designated replacement is... let's just say that at least one other person quit our division rather than face the prospect of dealing with him. Of the people in our group, I'm the one who gets along with him the worst, mainly because he steals my jobs -- even areas of endeavor which I invented/discovered (and my otherwise nice current boss backs him up because he doesn't want to deal with problems in his final year). I have friends at his level who happen to hate his guts and are looking for an excuse to toast his a$$, but I doubt they could really help when push comes to shove. Seriously contemplating whether I still have a future with this group...

:P

Time for some more Laphroaig.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:40 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
I wonder if having your toxic boss work for a toxic boss who works for a toxic boss who works for a toxic boss (and on and on) makes the situation worse? Let's see, there is a seven in ten chance that my toxic boss works for a toxic boss and that he/she works for a toxic boss.........
My worst experience was with a boss who acted a bullhorn for his boss. Whatever requirement came down, Lucifer would multiply its importance tenfold and shorten the time allowed for the project/task by 25%. This was Satan's way of making a good impression on his overlord.

During the decade three years I worked for The Devil, I did my very best to shield my employees from his pitchfork. Having to deal with him was beyond miserable, but not as hopeless as dealing with him and trying to replace a bunch of people who got the Hell out.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:49 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
I wonder if having your toxic boss work for a toxic boss who works for a toxic boss who works for a toxic boss (and on and on) makes the situation worse?* Let's see, there is a seven in ten chance that my toxic boss works for a toxic boss and that he/she works for a toxic boss.........
early on with my last company i had a really good boss who had a crappy boss, but he shielded us from the creep and never let the lines cross. i got a lot of respect for the guy.

it only takes the one. most of the people in my company were very nice. i had an excellent relationship with my last boss's boss and with his boss who was just below the president of a fortune 5. it was bizarre to watch the moral of our entire unit go down the dumper when this guy came aboard. what a waste of good people.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 02:39 PM   #26

The real question is, are any of these underlings doing something to improve themselves for bosshood.

So, when they become the manager, do they have what it takes to be a good boss... or do they sit around all day and bitch about how bad they have it, when they really aspire to be the boss.

-CC
Old 07-18-2006, 02:47 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCdaCE
The real question is, are any of these underlings doing something to improve themselves for bosshood.

So, when they become the manager, do they have what it takes to be a good boss... or do they sit around all day and bitch about how bad they have it, when they really aspire to be the boss.

-CC
So is your question directed at anyone in particular or is it rhetorical in nature?* *

Not everyone can be a manager.* There are fewer managers than worker bees in most organizations.* The higher you go the fewer management positions there are and the more difficult it is to get one of them.* Not everyone is cut out to be in management just like not everyone is cut out to me in IT or accounting or medicine or in the Marines, etc.* A career can get very long indeed if you are not in a job you like most of the time.*
Old 07-19-2006, 01:20 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

True.

IT, accounting, medicine and the marines take aptitude, training and demonstrated skill.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:25 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
So is your question directed at anyone in particular or is it rhetorical in nature?
Yeah, rhetorical.

Everyone can help make the organization run better, give more info. to the boss, etc.

-CC
Old 07-21-2006, 08:37 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCdaCE
Yeah, rhetorical.

Everyone can help make the organization run better, give more info. to the boss, etc.

-CC
If they trusted management enough to feel free to do so. With downsizing and re-organizations every few months or years (we have had 4 in the past 18 months) people live in fear of losing their jobs. Add to that the constant injection of toxic HR and Management programs into the organization that only adds to the view of management as incompetent and clueless. Promotion by favoritism rather than by true merit and experience creates additional distrust and loathing for management. It is hard to want to contribute more than is essential to keeping your job in such an environment.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:23 PM   #31

You're right SteveR, when it comes right down to it, if your boss is stupid... "You can't fix stupid". Mostly, my view of the world is too simple. If you "do good work", good things SHOULD come your way. But, like you state, that's not always the case. All in due time, I guess. You'll eventually get somewhere that you're appreciated. But, meanwhile you've gotta pay the house payment and put food on the table... that part of the reality sucks.

Thats what keeps me from finding another job. I have a damn good boss. Or, at least, he's not a moron/toxic/etc. Gives me rediculous flexibilty and is only there to keep me in check and help me with "out of the ordinary" problems.

All I'm sayin' is, try to see where your boss is comin' from. Empathize. Sometimes with upper management all you think is, "who drempt this crap up?". But, then you can go back and say "this isn't gonna work, and here's why". And they can tell you why it IS going to work. Instead of just sitting around and complaining -- maybe you'd even save the company money. But, like I said in the first paragraph, everyones work world isn't as simple as I'd like it to be.

Hopefully I've gotten my point across.

-CC