$800,000 Milestone!

BigBangWeary

Recycles dryer sheets
Well, we crossed the $800,000 milestone this past month. Ages 34 and 37 respectively. Hadn't checked in a while and was not expecting that.

Obviously the market is on a tear, but it still feels good. I got a lot of encouragement on here a while back during a bit of a lull and I just want to take the time to acknowledge the good days and to provide an update.

There may be a big boost coming in the next 6 months too (fingers crossed). Here's hoping the market cooperates and I can hit that 'million-before-40' target I set all those years ago.

Fair winds!

:dance:

Congrats! Just don't get too aggressive in trying to hit the 1 m before 40 goal. It's more important to hit the time and $ goals for retirement.

Congrats on the achievement and don't forget to "get rich slowly". Steady growth will outlast large gambles most of the time. At your ages, I am very impressed!

VW

Thanks! Ronstar, this is true. It is important to stop and smell the roses and not get too fixated on a particular point. With that being said, so many of us are here because we are goal oriented. A blessing and a curse ...

VanWinkle I agree, but there is a part of me who always thinks, 'what if?' and I have seen the benefit of some gambles in life. I guess that's why we have always tried to allocate 5% of our investments to some long-shots. Keeps things interesting, but also within strict parameters.

Wow. Congrats! Awesome accomplishment. My wife always tells me to stop and smell the roses. I always say they smell great now on to the next goal. It is a blessing and a curse.

BigBangWeary - Excellent News !! Congrats and pat yourselves on the back.

As others cautioned, just beware of risks that could loom ahead.. depending on your target "number" you need to start pivoting to more conservative investment style.

All the best

Last edited:
Well, we crossed the $800,000 milestone this past month. Ages 34 and 37 respectively. Hadn't checked in a while and was not expecting that.

Obviously the market is on a tear, but it still feels good. I got a lot of encouragement on here a while back during a bit of a lull and I just want to take the time to acknowledge the good days and to provide an update.

There may be a big boost coming in the next 6 months too (fingers crossed). Here's hoping the market cooperates and I can hit that 'million-before-40' target I set all those years ago.

Fair winds!

:dance:

That is indeed impressive, hope your debt load doesn't offset your $800K milestone.

Good job. All the milestones feel good but you're gonna really enjoy the $1M mark. Keep on it and as others have mentioned, keep your spending and debt in check. You'll be amazed at how fast you can accumulate wealth if you keep on track.

Huzzah!

Props for your success. They say next 800k comes a LOT faster.

Congrats! Take a moment to look at your allocation. Maybe you had one or two big gainers in the past year or so and you want to trim your exposure there. Maybe you don't want to trim them. Either way, take a look and make a decision. Write down why you decided what you did so you can review in a year or two. good luck.

Congratulations! Take a little time to enjoy it, and be aware that things may happen to knock you off the goal, but stay on target. Our goal was to have $1 million in cash/investments before age 50, and we made it by a month. Then 2008-2009 happened, and we "lost" (on paper) over a quarter of it. But we kept going, not knowing the future of course - and it has paid off by keeping that long term perspective in place.

Congrats on such a great job. I need a lot of tail wind and some aggressive saving to hit the $1mil by 40 club. 4years to go and its so far off I don't even see it on the horizon.

Total net worth 1mil by 40 would be more achievable for me. 2.5mil invested by 50 is my magic #. If I don't make it and it's less than 10% Quality of Life decline if I am close I will pull the trigger.

Pn3069 I do get nervous with each new market high. Switching to more bonds/fixed income makes sense for anyone retiring closer to their true ‘expiry’ date, but with so much time ahead of ourselves I feel we need to remain exposed to equities. What do you suggest?

Frayne we have no debt whatsoever. It is funny that this point rarely gets mentioned in people’s net worth updates around here. Then again, I am sure we could have been further ahead if we weren’t as debt-averse. But I sleep better.

Jerry1, good advice! Thanks.

HarveyS Nvidia comes to mind but I feel like I might want to let that one ride … all things considered.

Jollystomper, I won’t kid myself and think that a similar drop in the markets wouldn’t hit us hard emotionally, but there is part of me I think that would just be happy to say, ‘Well I did it. At one point I reached my goal.’ Markets go up and down but it has been such a long-term goal that I just want to be able to say I’ve done it. Silly I know. I wanted to see the Pyramids, and I did that. It doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy the achievement, however fleeting.

Kgtest, full transparency, this is our total net worth. We rent. I like your plan.

Hey congratulations! Very exiting, and I hope you keep us posted on your journey!

Back
Top Bottom