Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-26-2012, 09:57 AM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

Just received a 7% pay increase. I'll consider that a good thing in this economy.
kfindley79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I'm on the far other end of the spectrum. I've been unemployed for the last 9 months. Dozens of interviews with no offers. It looks like I may get an offer finally. The job pays a whopping $10.20/hr and i'll be lucky to get it. If I don't get this job my portfolio will drop back down to 5 figures. On the bright side i'm 33 and have over $100K in my portfolio. A lot of people would love to have that...none are on this forum

Sorry to hear about your being out of work for the last 9 months. I hope you will get this offer. And it is nice that you have that 6-figure portfolio to help you "keep calm and carry on" at times like this. Please write to let us know when you start working again and how you like your new job.
Retire2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:53 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've also seen a huge increase in my pay (hourly rate) these past few years. Age discrimination in my field comes quickly, though. I hope to be FI by then (~10 years), allowing me to shrug it off and head out on the trail.
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:55 AM   #24

I got some small increases, including my whopping $414 bonus for being an excellent performer. But in year 3 of a pay freeze and starting to feel it.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:20 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

The "crash" paid off huge for my business partner and I. We rent industrial equipment mostly to oil companies. All of the big publicly traded rental companies were selling off assets at auction and there was such a glut of equipment that machines that currently sell for $35k were routinely $4k-$6K. We bought about 30 of these with cash and crossed our fingers. We're now in a literal boom again. Good times!
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Just thought that I'd add that if anyone is having a tough time finding decent paying jobs, there are help wanted signs everywhere in Alberta, Canada in the oilfield sector, as well as retail, law enforcement etc etc but the bulk are directly tied to oilfield. Welders start @$34-$37/hr + benefits and basic laborer is about $20/hr. I've no idea what it takes to move here from the states, and believe me it's not all roses. An average house is still $350k and rent and food are pricier than in the states, but if you have a talent for living frugal and can handle occasional -40 weather, c'mon up! I'm happy to advise on the various areas of the province.
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:02 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I'm on the far other end of the spectrum. I've been unemployed for the last 9 months. Dozens of interviews with no offers. It looks like I may get an offer finally. The job pays a whopping $10.20/hr and i'll be lucky to get it. If I don't get this job my portfolio will drop back down to 5 figures. On the bright side i'm 33 and have over $100K in my portfolio. A lot of people would love to have that...none are on this forum
I am 48, FI with 7-figure port and have what currently seems like a secure upper mgmt job in a megacorp. I would trade places with you in a second. I hate getting old.
Grainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:19 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Remember, 8% unemployment means 92% are working and 2.2% growth means someone is making money and lots of it.

When I took my pension, almost two years a ago, I was on furloughs and things were looking to get worse. Now they are furloughed 6 days a year and took a big pay cut. Makes retirement more and more attractive.

Now I hear the state is going to fast track filling the 2500 jobs that have been left unfilled. Good news! More people paying into the pension fund that is already growing well with out them.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:24 AM   #29

Hang in there Aaron879. Good luck on your interviews.

Quote:
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:29 AM   #30

43, almost FI with 7-figure port, mid-management job... sometimes I wish I was older, sometimes I wish I wealthier, sometimes I just don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainiac View Post
I am 48, FI with 7-figure port and have what currently seems like a secure upper mgmt job in a megacorp. I would trade places with you in a second. I hate getting old.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:33 AM   #31

Congrats CorporateSoldier on your good fortune.

Job has been flat on salary/bonus the last few years, but adding to my rental property holdings has helped. The rentals will help in the long run, but that's just a part time job in a sense.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
The "crash" paid off huge for my business partner and I. We rent industrial equipment mostly to oil companies. All of the big publicly traded rental companies were selling off assets at auction and there was such a glut of equipment that machines that currently sell for $35k were routinely $4k-$6K. We bought about 30 of these with cash and crossed our fingers. We're now in a literal boom again. Good times!
Well done! Perfect example of someone with cash and a willingness to take on some risk who will benefit from this mess.

Whenever there is change in the market place, there is opportunity for someone.
CorporateSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:17 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by glippy View Post
I did get swept up in a massive lay off in 2009 (with a huge grin on my face).

I took the opportunity to start rehabbing cheap foreclosures. Fortunately, I had plenty socked away to pay cash for a few places. But yeah, I try to keep mum about profiting off of other people losing their homes.
We have done very well doing the same thing. When I first started doing this, viewing distressed homes that still had occupants was the hardest thing for me. I remember we toured one home back in 2009 that had a little old couple in it that had lovingly maintained the home and worked to improve it for years. The hopeful look on their faces when we walked in was heartbreaking. It almost soured me on the whole deal until my father pointed out that we were the agents that would utilmatly turn the market around while provideing more affordable housing along the way. That helped me ton.

Steel
Steel Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:33 AM   #34

I am doing quite well also. However, I always remember to give 10% + of my income to charities or to medical missions here or abroad. Sometimes, I feel happier helping others' medical needs abroad free of charge than doing the same for money here.

Feel free to give some of your hard earned money to those who are less prosperous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateSoldier View Post
Curious if anyone else out there is finding themselves doing really well in this mess of an economy.

(...)
I apologize if this sounds like I am bragging but where else can you talk about this stuff?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:26 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Around 2009 I thought I was going to be let go. I thought I was going to be laid off so I started cutting back on everything I could. Our department went from 12 to 6, but I made it. It probably helped that I am the youngest and lowest paid. We didn't really get much of a raise over the next few years (a percent or two annual increase) and my side business failed. This year I have switched my car insurance, refinanced my mortgage and received a promotion at work which netted me 7%.

I am most thankful for saving as much as possible from my side business and second that I started cutting back on expenses a few years ago. That definitely rounded the edge off of a sharp decline and made it more tolerable.

At my current income level and mortgage payment I am able to live comfortably, but I keep in mind everyday of how much I am spending. Ramen and store brand cereal
YoungSaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:40 PM   #36

This year is the first negative the down economy has played on my salary... 0% raise for 2012
EvrClrx311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

I got a 1.9% raise in 2012. Better than nothing I guess?
Mill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:48 AM   #38

DH has been at his current employer for 3.5 years and only once received a 2% raise to cover inflation. Annual bonus' made up for the lack of salary increases however - he received a 20% bonus this year which made up for last year when he only received 5%.

Finally, after a few months of looking, things are looking way up and DH received a job offer from another company with a better title and a 36% bump in base salary and the same bonus potential.

I think he's actually looking forward to going to work on Monday to give his 2 weeks notice and tell his old company where to stick it! :-)
Old 05-06-2012, 07:28 AM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Girl View Post
....and tell his old company where to stick it! :-)
Not a good idea IMO. Tell him to take the high road. Also see thread on burning bridges.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

DH has a part-time job that should average approx. 54 hrs per month. Due to the economy his employer has not filled full-time positions due to attrition so DH has been averaging 78-82 hrs per month for the last few years. He loves the job so this hasn't been a problem for him. Since it hasn't messed with our vacations I don't have a problem with it either....for now.
kz is offline   Reply With Quote