Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 08:24 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mill View Post
I got a 1.9% raise in 2012. Better than nothing I guess?
When I got a 1.5% raise I just told my boss that it's not a raise at all since our health insurance went up over 1.5%

Of course, I complain about everything
__________________

__________________
YoungSaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #42
Moderator
ziggy29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,612
My Medicare base wages are 8% less than they were in 2005 -- since then I've received one 2% raise in base salary,bonuses are trending downward and health insurance deductions are much higher. And that's *before* inflation makes it even worse.

My employer is doing pretty well but our CEO has been honest about it -- there have been no raises because, well, the market doesn't require it. He emphasized (correctly as I recall) we did get significant raises in 2001 and 2002 despite a lousy economy because the market required it (I got about a 20% raise from 2000 to 2002, for example). So we're seeing the flip side here now.

I don't mind the stagnant wages as much as I mind the fact that there is more and more work as folks who are laid off, resign and retire are not replaced even if there was plenty of work for them to do. Everyone is so much more stressed and overworked now because we all have like 50% more work to do. The work never goes away, just the people to do it all.
__________________

__________________
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.
Calgary_Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Calgary
Posts: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Not a good idea IMO. Tell him to take the high road. Also see thread on burning bridges.
DH did take the high road afterall. We'll see what happens during the "exit interview" . He gave his resignation this morning and since he is privy to some confidential information, his employer made him turn in his keys and cell phone and leave the building. In addition to having the next 2 weeks off until his new job starts, DH will also get paid his remaining pro-rated vacation time which is another two weeks.
__________________
I can only be nice to one person today! Today is not your day...tomorrow doesn't look good either.
Calgary_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.
ShortInSeattle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Girl

DH did take the high road afterall. We'll see what happens during the "exit interview" . He gave his resignation this morning and since he is privy to some confidential information, his employer made him turn in his keys and cell phone and leave the building. In addition to having the next 2 weeks off until his new job starts, DH will also get paid his remaining pro-rated vacation time which is another two weeks.
Good for him for being classy. As a former HR lady I can't help but mention I hate the whole "taking the badge and walking you out" garbage. If you've trusted someone for years why do you need to go all CIA and treat someone like a criminal when they give notice? That kind of thing really burns my cheese...

Onward and upward for you both!
__________________
ShortInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
Remember, 8% unemployment means 92% are working and 2.2% growth means someone is making money and lots of it.

When I took my pension, almost two years a ago, I was on furloughs and things were looking to get worse. Now they are furloughed 6 days a year and took a big pay cut. Makes retirement more and more attractive.

Now I hear the state is going to fast track filling the 2500 jobs that have been left unfilled. Good news! More people paying into the pension fund that is already growing well with out them.
The way I understand it, 8% unemployment means 8% of those looking for a job are not employed. It does not count the umemployed that have dropped out of the looking phase. The last I heard, there are actually about 16% of people who are not employed.
__________________
sanfanciscotreat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:26 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Following the nice weather
Posts: 6,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortInSeattle View Post
Good for him for being classy. As a former HR lady I can't help but mention I hate the whole "taking the badge and walking you out" garbage. If you've trusted someone for years why do you need to go all CIA and treat someone like a criminal when they give notice? That kind of thing really burns my cheese...

Onward and upward for you both!
Having spent a large portion of my career in security (IT), I'm on the absolute other end of the spectrum. If someone is leaving it's absolutely necessary to shut down any potential vulnerabilities, whether the person was trusted or not. It's not a reflection on the person, it's best practices for the corporation. If, under whatever circumstances, there was a exploitation of access by someone who was leaving and proper procedures hadn't been taken there would be a huge liability to the corporation, and insurance might not cover whatever damages were incurred. Obviously it's more important to shut down access for someone who is being involuntarily seperated (RIFed, fired, whatever) than a trusted employee who is retiring or changing jobs, but it's still something you have to do. I've never understood why locks aren't automatically changed when a house is sold. I always do it when I buy a new one. Common sense.
__________________
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers, or maybe Sam Clemens
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:27 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.
ShortInSeattle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley

Having spent a large portion of my career in security (IT), I'm on the absolute other end of the spectrum. If someone is leaving it's absolutely necessary to shut down any potential vulnerabilities, whether the person was trusted or not. It's not a reflection on the person, it's best practices for the corporation. If, under whatever circumstances, there was a exploitation of access by someone who was leaving and proper procedures hadn't been taken there would be a huge liability to the corporation, and insurance might not cover whatever damages were incurred. Obviously it's more important to shut down access for someone who is being involuntarily seperated (RIFed, fired, whatever) than a trusted employee who is retiring or changing jobs, but it's still something you have to do. I've never understood why locks aren't automatically changed when a house is sold. I always do it when I buy a new one. Common sense.
Thanks for the other side.
__________________
ShortInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:51 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 16,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortInSeattle View Post
......As a former HR lady I can't help but mention I hate the whole "taking the badge and walking you out" garbage. If you've trusted someone for years why do you need to go all CIA and treat someone like a criminal when they give notice? That kind of thing really burns my cheese... .....
+1 It always seemed silly to me even though it never happened to me. Both of my last jobs it was known by my bosses that I was leaving for months and I was privy to all sorts of confidential information in both cases. If someone is going to do something stupid like that don't they realize that they would gather the same information before they submitted their resignation?
__________________

__________________
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:26 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.