Join Early Retirement Today
FIRE as Motivator
Old 03-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.
FIRE as Motivator

Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Mill, I feel for you. Reading your story it seems as if, like so many incidents, there were multiple events cascading towards this injury. It's unfortunate that the blame game led to the foreman losing his job and you coming close to doing so. I hope the company will learn from the investigation and address the root causes. Hopefully the injured employee will make a full recovery and be compensated appropriately. So many times, corners are cut because of the bottom line. It is very scary to know the risks but not to have any ability to control them. That can lead to stress, hypertension, and self destructive habits. It is a very good reason to plan for a way out.
Probably each of us has had to watch our workplace, at one point or the other, turn into a "theater of the absurd." What is gut-wrenching in Mill's story, though, is it seems it's becoming too common, too frequent. The human cost -- for the injured man, the foreman, for Mill--seems just too high.

"Crises" in my teaching career could not compare to the trauma of this story. (The closest incident might be when I broke up a fight between the varsity quarterback and a former gang member.) But when the crises did come, one balm for my nerves (and anger) was planning those exit strategies. LBYM gave us freedom our neighbors couldn't enjoy, when they were using home equity lines of credit to build on additions, buy boats and RV's, go on cruises.

In the last decade of my career, I saved most of my salary, just so I could RE if I got too disgusted. When checking the monthly 401K statement and funding the Roth IRA's, my confidence would grow that, if needed, I had a "way out."

It worked. And there's no line of credit to pay off.

Hang in there, Mill; and best wishes with Plans A and/or B.

"Everything becomes more itself." --C.S. Lewis
LitGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sorry about your high-stress j#b situation. IMHO- Some bosses seem to encourage paycheck-to-paycheck spending so employees have little choice but to put up with increasing levels of BS or even abuse. Having a solid financial cushion is always a good idea.

ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:02 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Glad you made it through the mess. The part that impresses me is that you understand the game, have the method for escape under control.

Way ahead of the pack. I am sure it give comfort when things get sticky.
Agree. Just keep saving like crazy.
Full time wuss............
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:40 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
OP here. Thank you all for the encouraging replies. All seems somewhat calm now on the job front after the go-arounds making sure that me and my boss, and bosses bosses bosses have our a$$es fully covered.

The injured man is expected to make a full recovery, and he should be back on the job within a few weeks, which is great. I do not know how good the contractor health insurance/short-term-disability coverage is, but I hope they take care of him. I dont know him personally, but its a low-paying job and Ive talked with him enough that I know that he is living paycheck-to-paycheck with 2 dependents, so his med bills might be devistating. Sad to think about.

Ive been asked to be on the interview panel for the newly open foreman position, and it should be an interresting experience. It will be a first for me.

Ive taken all advice/encouragement to heart. I especially like whoever posted: "Glad to stay, prepared to go." In a short time, that will be me. Until then, its the daily grind.

Mill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:46 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets
Thanks for posting your story Mill. I can relate to this quite a bit. While not exactly the same, my wife and I are dealing with a difficult work situation that pays well. We are years away from FI and we have often asked whether it is worth hanging on. I think you have the right attitude. There are situations that are not worth killing yourself for obviously, but I think it is important to focus on the freedom of choice/opportunity that we are working towards. Hang in there.
BigBangWeary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:32 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by Mill View Post
"Glad to stay, prepared to go."

I learned a valuable lesson my very first paid job. At the time I was wrenching, but it was the best thing that could have happened. They hired me at a grocery store during the tourist season, then invented a reason to get rid of me when things slacked-off. It was an early lesson: employees are only employed at the whim of the employer. From then on out, every now and then when I get my paycheck, I remind myself "we're even" (neither one of us owe the other).

sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote