Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-14-2010, 09:41 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Congrats to you, ER Hopeful!
The rest of us are thrilled with your milestone and join in your jubilation!
Please kindly ignore the sayer of nayes!
Milestone is a land concept. Doesn't work in a fluid environment

You are rowing a boat and you pass a floating buoy and you say "aha" I've achieved a milestone. Lets pass the next buoy. But both you and buoy can be in a current that takes you backward.

All I am saying is that in a fluid environment you cannot pretend there are milestones. You are doing the right thing by rowing , as the poster is certainly doing the right thing and I join you in congratulations , but you don't know if you are making real progress until you hit land
Emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2010, 10:02 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sometimes a duck is just a duck. In this case it's just a milestone that OP happens to be justifiably proud in achieving for what it represents in their journey.

Not everything has to be turned into a lecture. This is not class and you are not professor.

Congrats ER Hopeful. Great milestone on your road to FIRE.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:04 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats ER_H!
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:15 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aida2003 View Post
Congrats with your $200K...BTW, what ages (spouse and you?) and do you have kids?
I'm almost 38, wife just turned 40. kids are 7 and 9, single income. I think our NW is relatively low compared to many posters of our age on this forum, this is because my career/salary didn’t take off until 5, 6 years ago(I’m making close to $100k now). Prior to that I’d been stuck at a dying software company for 4 years making less than $50k(I switched career into the dot com burst, then came 9/11, software jobs were scarce. Then the defense industry took off and that’s how I got into the DoD software industry which I’m in now); and even prior to that I was making less than $30k with my accounting degree in the late ‘90s. So a great majority of my savings really came from the past 6 years.

BTW, thanks to all the congrats and encouraging words from everyone.
ER_Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:52 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations! Write to us when you reach $250K so we can cheer for you again. I especially like the part where you counted the $30 in your wallet.
Retire2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:21 PM   #26
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER_Hopeful View Post
I'm almost 38, wife just turned 40. kids are 7 and 9, single income. I think our NW is relatively low compared to many posters of our age on this forum, this is because my career/salary didn’t take off until 5, 6 years ago(I’m making close to $100k now).
Now I see a fuller picture and I think your family is doing nice considering that's only 5-6 years, SAHM + 2 kids.

Software or whatever industry says nothing to me. I'm totally clueless in that area, but I see what you're saying about computer related career and accounting and enumeration for both. Just today I had lunch with my friend who said she was promoted to a manager. She's an IT person dealing with Cyber Security and works for one of major electricity companies. And she's only 33y.o. I was so curious to ask about her salary, but all I said "Great! Now you're raking money in". She just smiled at me... and left me wondering
aida2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:36 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER_Hopeful View Post
I'm almost 38, wife just turned 40. kids are 7 and 9, single income. I think our NW is relatively low compared to many posters of our age on this forum, this is because my career/salary didn’t take off until 5, 6 years ago(I’m making close to $100k now). Prior to that I’d been stuck at a dying software company for 4 years making less than $50k(I switched career into the dot com burst, then came 9/11, software jobs were scarce. Then the defense industry took off and that’s how I got into the DoD software industry which I’m in now); and even prior to that I was making less than $30k with my accounting degree in the late ‘90s. So a great majority of my savings really came from the past 6 years.

BTW, thanks to all the congrats and encouraging words from everyone.
He that hath wife and children hath given hostages to fortune;
Francis Bacon

Speaking as a Father of the Bride who just married off DD#2 I wish you the very best. MIL FIL DW And SIL were/are all software geeks. I taught software law among other things. We also had our kids in our 30s.
Only advice I can give you is keep up in the broad field not just your niche, especially in DOD land.
Emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:29 PM   #28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
Danger In a Young Dreamer tracking progress and trends in his basket of market-priced assets to keep a score? Nonsense, in my view.

Congrats, ER_Hopeful - with no qualifiers.
+1

You are doing great, keep on doing what you have been doing.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:19 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeritus View Post
He that hath wife and children hath given hostages to fortune;
Francis Bacon

Speaking as a Father of the Bride who just married off DD#2 I wish you the very best. MIL FIL DW And SIL were/are all software geeks. I taught software law among other things. We also had our kids in our 30s.
Only advice I can give you is keep up in the broad field not just your niche, especially in DOD land.
You might also want to get a bit of experience in software procurement by DoD and the Federal Government generally.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:15 PM   #30

Yeah, congratulations on that milestone! Just to warn you though, you'll inevitably cross that same milestone again several more times, as the market bounces around.

Happened to me with the $400K milestone. I broke that milestone four times: October 2007, December 2007, June 2008, and October 2009. Hopefully I'm above it for good now, but you never know...in November 2008 I was flirting with $200K. And it doesn't look nearly as pretty falling down to it, as it did rising up!

But, just keep doing what you're doing, plug away, and dollar-cost-averaging does help smooth out the rough patches in the long run.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:26 PM   #31

Congrats ER_H

The more you dca, the faster it grows, and the easier it gets. Keep at it.

R
Old 10-17-2010, 01:52 AM   #32
Dryer sheet aficionado

ER_Hopeful - congratulations on your achievement! It is amazing how fast it starts happening once you get your teeth sunk in!
Reading your later posts in this thread, it's seems we've got a lot of parallels. I'm about your age (2 yrs older), couple of kids close to the same age (3 and 7), single income family, income started increasing rapidly about 6 years ago, and crossed the same milestone early this year.
Best of luck in the future!
se012101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:48 AM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congrats... keep it up!

Someday you will be thanking yourself for having the option to make other life choice due to FI.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote