Join Early Retirement Today

A taste of ER, sort of
Old 05-11-2007, 03:34 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A taste of ER, sort of

I have felt like crap on a cracker all week, with a really miserable cold. Yet I dragged myself in to work and plodded through each day. After yesterday, I just felt awful, so I took my first sick day with this job (2+ years so far). Its amazing how pleasant and low stress it is to be home during the week when I don't (cause I can't) feel the compulsion to quickly get done all the stuff that never gets done during the week.

I am not too likely to ever take a sabbatical because I would never go back.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: A taste of ER, sort of
Old 05-11-2007, 03:40 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Thats what happened to me...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 03:42 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Please don't use "A taste of ER" together with "crap on a cracker."
Old 05-11-2007, 03:48 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

FIRE means never having to say "I wish I could stay home today."

One week to go....
Old 05-11-2007, 03:54 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I felt like that, but no cracker on Monday.

Stayed home and did nothing constructive. I couldn't do anything that took me far from the bathroom. It wasn't especially pleasant or low stress. There is a lot of stress involved in GI bugs. I will spare you by not elaborating further except to say that you don't want this one.

When I got back to work, there was a crushing workload waiting for me. I felt better, but not ALL better; still dizzy with shooting abdominal pains when stressed. So I was up to my eyeballs in alligators AND a grouchy, crabby, evil NASTY old woman at work, inspiring neuroses in various poor young co-workers right and left.

Today is my regular day off. Oh boy! I get to clean and disinfect my house so that it is once again fit for human habitation and spotless. :P

Can't wait to ER so I can get some rest!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 04:00 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I feel like that now, only no illness. I just dug out and laid in a 6' retaining wall next to my air conditioning compressor, which due to lack of said wall was half buried in dirt and bark. It sure was quiet that way though.

Can I go back to work now?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:02 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
I feel like that now, only no illness. I just dug out and laid in a 6' retaining wall next to my air conditioning compressor, which due to lack of said wall was half buried in dirt and bark. It sure was quiet that way though.

Can I go back to work now?
People with your kind of wherewithal are supposed to HIRE people to do stuff like that, silly bunny! Meanwhile what you do is go to the gym to get your exercise.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 04:23 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Eh, I'd have to stand there and critique their work.

I actually did call five different landscape companies to do this and some other stuff...maybe a month ago. Nobody even returned my call.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:52 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Eh, I'd have to stand there and critique their work.

I actually did call five different landscape companies to do this and some other stuff...maybe a month ago. Nobody even returned my call.
I'll bet those attorneys at the pre paid legal office are glad your keeping busy.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:20 PM   #10

I'm with you on this one Brewer. I also took a day off this week and I couldn't stop smiling all day. I can hardly wait until every day is a day off.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 07:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
I have felt like crap on a cracker all week, with a really miserable cold. Yet I dragged myself in to work and plodded through each day. After yesterday, I just felt awful, so I took my first sick day with this job (2+ years so far). Its amazing how pleasant and low stress it is to be home during the week when I don't (cause I can't) feel the compulsion to quickly get done all the stuff that never gets done during the week.

I am not too likely to ever take a sabbatical because I would never go back.
Man I'm jealous. For some reason I just did not feel like going to work today. I so wanted to just stay home and sleep.

I did manage to slip out the back door exactly 10 minutes after the markets closed which was still a nice retreat.

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 05:56 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

I can't wait for the week of Memorial Day...I have taken it off to do absolutely nothing!
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 03:05 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

i just want to work to fill the time bewteen weekends
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:55 AM   #14

I'm going to be out of work for 3 to 6 weeks starting Thursday. Although I'll be in contact and can do some work from home I'll still be HOME. I'm hoping this goes well and that next year I'll be able to cut my hours at the job site with out much resistance.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote