Advice on switching careers: article

LOL!

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/18/jobs/18search.html

is an article about learning a career is not what you really wanted to do and a little bit about finding another career. Some quotes that y'all should be familiar with already:

Often, Mr. Lore said, people place too high a value on the external rewards of a job, like money, prestige and power.
Questioning your career choice is different from not being in the mood to work, finding your work difficult or not liking your boss or your co-workers. But it isn’t always easy to tell the difference between disliking a job and disliking your work environment.
“A lot of people who say that they hate what they do actually hate who they do it for,” said Barbara Safani, owner of Career Solvers, a career management firm in New York. In that case, she said, they need to work on managing their relationships rather than changing careers.
and a line from the ER anthem:
“I think it’s safe to say that work is overrated,” Professor Sutton said.

Interesting. I am going back to school next month for a completely different career. I'm pretty excited. I like to think that I'm one of very few individuals who is planning to return to school and also planning for ER at the same time. I think the new career will be a good one to do more part time (semi-retired) and also in different parts of the country as I'd like to retire somewhere else. If I do the new career for about 15 years that will take me to 50ish. That's roughly when DH and I should be able to retire if we so choose.

Back
Top Bottom