Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-29-2013, 08:18 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats to you both. Stay the course. Hope this good market lasts a while longer so we can all get a little closer to our financial goals.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2013, 04:59 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Significant milestone here too - at market close today, our investments are now worth over $400,000! I know it's small potatoes to a lot of people here, but it's the most we've ever had, and a significant chunk of what we'll need to ER.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maenad View Post
Significant milestone here too - at market close today, our investments are now worth over $400,000! I know it's small potatoes to a lot of people here, but it's the most we've ever had, and a significant chunk of what we'll need to ER.
Well done, Maenad! You're well on the way.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
A double in 4 years is an aggressive goal.
Agreed. I would suggest that if you are serious about reaching that target, sell the plot of land that is tying up 20% of your capital, and put the money to work in the markets. Absent special circumstances, raw land rarely does better than break even after inflation.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:08 AM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maenad View Post
Congratulations!
Old 04-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Agreed. I would suggest that if you are serious about reaching that target, sell the plot of land that is tying up 20% of your capital, and put the money to work in the markets. Absent special circumstances, raw land rarely does better than break even after inflation.
I would love to but its in a foreign country and with all the hoops I went through to buy it, I don't look forward to the flak I will get from the family on selling it.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:15 AM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
I think we can do it in 4 years. Goal is to save 150k a year. This is assuming both our compensations remain the same.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:45 AM   #28
Dryer sheet aficionado

Update - we are at 512 net worth now [investments and cash only]. The journey continues.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:32 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Rock on ER33!
+112K in less than 5 months....wow!
Old 07-13-2013, 06:33 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Assuming I did my math right!
Old 12-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #31
Dryer sheet aficionado

Update - we are at 600k today with the help of the run in the market and diligently saving more. I am happy about the excess from what I thought it would be at the beginning.

On the expenditure side, our eating out has decreased with the arrival of the baby but daycare at almost 1800 a month has compensated for it.

On the non financial side, I am eating healthier and getting in better shape - so it sucks that I am doing this during the holidays but I hope the positive result will be worth it. Happy holidays!
Old 06-02-2014, 08:15 AM   #32
Dryer sheet aficionado

Small update - we are at 721k today. Increase came mostly from wife + mine bonuses paid this year. Had to pay 7k extra in 2013 taxes which was not fun. Its going to be an even bigger bloodbath for taxes next year. Not complaining too much since it is a good problem to have.

Not being able to save much every month because of a lot of travel expenses which even though we wanted to do it, still is taking a huge chunk out of our monthly paycheck. So the risk is that most of our yearly savings are coming from an unpredictable annual bonus.

I read something once, that out of health, wealth and time, pick two. That certainly feels like the case at the moment. Still trying to get healthy and alarmed by all the aches and pains we both feel despite being only 33 and 30.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:11 PM   #33
Dryer sheet aficionado

Net worth finally hit 800k this week. It has been quite a ride so far. Wife is out for the weekend at annual company trip so I am parenting solo with the toddler. Both of us are sick so this post is to cheer me up as well Happy thanksgiving to all.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:01 AM   #34

I love this thread, for selfish reasons. You went from 400 to 800 in 2 years it seems. I crossed 400 this spring. I would love to cross 800 2 springs from now and this thread makes it seem possible! (480 now)

May I ask what your average contributions were (per year) ? We are contributing slightly over 100k this year.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:47 AM   #35
Dryer sheet aficionado

This year its been 83 k post tax, 35k 401k combined. Last year should have been something similar. Of course the market also went up like a rocket last year.

Hoping to put in 100k post + 36k pre next year.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:52 AM   #36
Dryer sheet aficionado

2016 post

Posting again, this time for 2016.

$828,390.40 Assets
$-554,705.82 Debts
$273,684.58 Net Worth

We bought a house and had a big downpayment. Plus the market downturn did not help!

Hoping to put in 200k for savings this year. Hope the new year is good to everyone!
Old 02-25-2016, 06:42 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by er33 View Post
Hoping to put in 200k for savings this year. Hope the new year is good to everyone!
That is a tremendous goal! It sort of helps you cope with the market down turns.

That was my 2015 goal. Hit it at ~$207,500. That includes my employer 401K match. After tax, 401K, and HSA. It doe snot include dividends.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:31 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Are you including the value of your home in your 'Asset' value? If you are counting the mortgage in the 'Debt' value, you also need to include the home value with the assets.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:13 AM   #39
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omalley View Post
Are you including the value of your home in your 'Asset' value? If you are counting the mortgage in the 'Debt' value, you also need to include the home value with the assets.
If I add the value of our home in [valued by refin which is conservative vs zillow ], then our net worth is $966,378. However this also does not include the value of the land in another country which I do not even know the current value of.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:37 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

It sounds like your calculation is then Investable Assets minus Debt. This is the primary number I focus on myself, as these are the only amounts that I can rely on to generate 'income' during retirement.