Am I digging myself deeper into a hole?

Once again OP, we need more info about you and your "useless" degree. Can you use that degree to find a job with some tuition assistance? You say "jobs" have you never found a job in a company that gave you an opportunity to move up the ladder based on your job performance?

We can't wave our magic wands and give you any good advice unless you are willing to share more of your story.

TGive the OP a break--he just posted the question yesterday afternoon. Maybe he doesn't hang out here all the time--he's got that job to go to (dead-end or not, it is paying the bills).:)

Some very big picture advice that may not necessarily by PC:
-- Getting qualified to do well-paying work may take some hard work, but it doesn't necessarily require more college.
-- If you've been satisfied to do low-paying, dead-end work for 10 years, ask yourself why. The future won't be different unless something within you changes.
- Dating/family, etc: A guy who is in a job/his own business with an upward track and with a skill that is well compensated is likely to meet women there with the same attributes. And they may be interested in seeing him socially. A guy with few material prospects is less attractive to women, especially if a) they are over the age of about 22 and b) have career ambitions of their own.
- Retiring early: In your early working years the best "investment" you can make is in developing your earning potential. Between now and age 55, you'll spend about 64,000 hours working, so if you can improve your hourly pay by just a few dollars it will make a huge difference in what you can put into investments. Your college degree is not worthless--even if you didn't get "hard" skill an employer will pay for, you did show that you could stick with something and that you can probably read and write acceptably. So, if you want to retire early, the best things you can do are a) build and execute a plan that leads to higher pay b) keep your living expenses low. If you get used to living large, you'll easily be able to outstrip your increases in pay, and you'll have very little in savings after a couple of decades of work.

Another thing: Instead of thinking "how can I increase my pay", try thinking "how can I increase what I am worth per hour?" An employer isn't motivated to pay people more, he is interested in getting someone who will improve his bottom line by doing something that adds to that bottom line. It's just an unfortunate (to him) byproduct that he may have to pay extra to get that person, but it is worth it. Be worth it.

Additional advice young people don't hear:
"Do what you love--and starve"
A great article from a career advisor. Tidbits:
Fact is, if you do what you love, you’ll probably starve. Yes, some people do what they love and the money follows. But millions of people have followed their passion and still haven’t earned enough to even pay back their student loans, let alone make even a bare middle-class living doing what they love.
The problem is that too many people crave the same few careers, for example, the arts, environmental, and non-profit work. Employers in these fields get dozens if not hundreds of applications for each job. So, you have to be a star or extremely well connected to get the job.
In other cases, salaries tend to be low or non-existent. Do what you love and volunteer work may well follow.

. . . . In contrast, if your job is mundane, for example, marketing manager for the Western Widget Company, the employer knows there aren’t hundreds of competent people champing at the bit for your job. So, to keep you, the employer is more likely to offer decent working conditions, reasonable work hours, kind treatment, opportunities for learning, and pay you well. Those are the things that—much more than being in a “cool” career-- lead to career contentment.
. . . .
If you’re entrepreneurial, I recommend starting your own business. Yes, I know, only 20 percent of new businesses are still in business after five years, but you can beat the odds. Just remember is this one rule: Don't innovate. Replicate. Copy a successful simple business.
A short presentation with career advice from Mike Rowe ("Dirty Jobs").

Last edited:
OMG you're in your 30s. Get a Paralegal or RN certificate at a Junior College & start earning above 80k yr (SF Bay Area figures) for roughly ($45×60units) or another certificate at a JC in something you love ... it's not just about the end game / it's also about the journey

Yes he did just post the question yesterday, but it's gotten 30 replies and except for the ones who suggested he marry rich, most of us have just said, we can't really offer any advice without some more info.

If he's really interested, he'll check in sooner rather then later, it takes seconds to write a post that says Thanks, I'm working on some of your questions.

I agree with the join the military or get a federal government job with a pension. (I would avoid the state and city kinds of jobs as many of those are in a pension crisis). Utilities may also be an option as their rates are usually set by a commission and not market dependent.

My career goals were always to learn something new in IT where there was not a lot of competition and that worked out well. I didn't really care what it was. I just tried to get jobs or take classes in whatever was in high demand. You wouldn't have to have a 4 year IT or CS degree to do that. One of the smartest people where I worked last had a zoology degree supplemented with IT classes post college. My IT classes from my degree were all out of date not too long after graduation anyway. I took classes in bleeding edge technology from community colleges, self study or places like the Berkeley Extension. Berkeley Extension has a lot of online classes and certificates these days as do other schools of the same caliber so you can live anywhere and take classes from them.

Some of the 2 year or less tech school degrees also pay pretty well like the skilled trades, IT certificates or medical certificates.

Last edited:
I agree with the join the military or get a federal government job with a pension. Utilities may also be an option as their rates are usually set by a commission and not market dependent.

Some of the 2 year or less tech school degrees also pay pretty well like the skilled trades, IT certificates or medical certificates.

Re: DLDS's suggestion about utilities, I've tried to interest young people in my family to become certified operators in water/wastewater treatment. Often those cert. classes are offered online, and if you can get certified and then hired as an operator in training, your employer often pays for continuing education to get you to subsequent levels, promotions, and pay raises.

And the pensions and benefits can be excellent.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Hi, I'm a single male in my early 30s with no family. I graduated college 10 years ago. The degree turned out to be useless, and I've been working for the last decade in low-paying jobs. I want to retire early. I would need a much higher income to achieve this goal, so I'm thinking about going back to school. I've considered various career scenarios, and in each case, going back to school would wipe out most of my limited life savings.

Most early retirement advice recommends against additional education. Under what circumstances would going back to school be advisable?

I'm 10 years behind others my age in savings and investments, so how do I catch up? Outside of improving my career, what other things should I be doing if I want to retire early? What investments should I be thinking about?

I'd like to start a family one day. How do I reconcile this goal with my goal of early retirement?

What does going back to school have to do with getting a higher paying job? Didn't work the first time, and you couldn't get a refund. Maybe you should target a future job you want, and work backwards from there what you need to do. They may or may not involve paying people to tell you what books to read.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Going off limited info but I would suggest you not go back to get another undergrad degree. I say this because I think most degrees are not very useful. I would instead suggest you simply self-teach yourself the new field you want to get into by doing it for free. Do some volunteer work to get experience on your resume, then find a job in the new field.

I have a practical degree (computer science) and I would have to admit that my education was pretty useless in regards to what I do for a living. I work as a systems administrator, i.e. supporting very expensive servers, storage, networks, etc. My education was all focused towards programming and lots of math classes. While I was in college I worked as a junior systems administrator for the college. That's where I actually learned valuable info, and what helped me get a job after graduating.

I think college should be overhauled. I'd focus it on apprenticeships so people will actually learn something.

I recently took a vocational test.

They said I should be a very good asset recovery/auto repossession agent.

And that I was for awhile--but a really good one.

Get certified in heating and plumbing. I know a number of HVAC technicians they make a lot of money with not much formal education.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Military is probably off-limits now due to age (I guess).

Only certain lines of work would be off limits based on age, but an Officer program could be a good option if for nothing more than the GI bill to apply to an advanced degree.

I used my GI bill to transfer to my wife for her MBA. I paid for my Masters via Tuition Assistance where I incurred (essentially) three additional years of obligation and paid around $2500 out of pocket for the degree. That's all after the Navy paid a full-ride for my Bachelors. Throw in the fact that the retirement program can't really be beaten and dirt-cheap health/dental care for life, and there you go!

Since someone mentioned military and age.... I thought I would look it up... so, Army and Navy are still open...
Active Duty None-Prior Service

• Army - 35 (must ship to basic training prior to 35th birthday. The Army experimented with raising the age limit to age 42 for a brief period of time, but effective April 1st, 2011, the Army has reverted to the lower age limit.
  • Air Force - 27
  • Navy - 34
  • Marines - 28
  • Coast Guard - Age 27. Note: up to age 32 for those selected to attend A-school directly upon enlistment (this is mostly for prior service).

OK... maybe it has changed... not sure which is correct....

http://www.stripes.com/news/air-force/air-force-raises-enlistee-age-limit-from-27-to-39-1.290578

Last edited:
Military might be the way to go. For the AF Officer:

Be between 18 and 34 years of age.
Be a U.S. citizen.
Have at least a bachelor’s degree.

Since someone mentioned military and age.... I thought I would look it up... so, Army and Navy are still open...
Active Duty None-Prior Service

• Army - 35 (must ship to basic training prior to 35th birthday. The Army experimented with raising the age limit to age 42 for a brief period of time, but effective April 1st, 2011, the Army has reverted to the lower age limit.
  • Air Force - 27
  • Navy - 34
  • Marines - 28
  • Coast Guard - Age 27. Note: up to age 32 for those selected to attend A-school directly upon enlistment (this is mostly for prior service).

OK... maybe it has changed... not sure which is correct....

Air Force raises enlistee age limit from 27 to 39 - Air Force - Stripes

So, even with a greatly shrinking military and lower recruiting goals they still have to resort to hiring these old guys? Sounds like something scary is happening out there

If you are at all interested in computers and computer programming, then I think that a job in the hi tech industry could be a very viable option. There is age discrimination in the tech industry for sure (as there is with most industries, I expect) but you are still well within the prime hiring range.

Most people think of being a developer/programmer as the way to go here, but there are actually several other options within the same field that offer good salaries, even for rookies. Particularly interesting could be a QA (quality assurance - tester) or UI Designer job. QA specifically doesn't require a lot of computer background (though many do) but you need to have some experience in programming to get your first job.

There are plenty of free on-line courses that can get you started, but I think a certificate from a local community college would be very useful on the resume as well.

Some good resources:

Job Outlook Handbook
Home : Occupational Outlook Handbook: : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Lists job outlook and salaries for all sorts of careers.

I found a book later in life called Do What You Are and found that had a list of good jobs for my personality type. There's no point in going into a field just for the money if it is a job you hate for 10+ years. In The Millionaire Next Door most of the people surveyed enjoyed their careers, of course those were still careers that had good odds of a decent income like engineering, accounting, real estate or small business owner.

Thanks to everyone for the responses! You've given me a great deal to think about. Tons of great career ideas so far. Keep them coming.

My degree is a very specialized science degree in a field that has lost a lot of jobs in the last decade. (I can't be more specific on a public forum because there are very, very few people in the U.S. with my degree and specialization.) I chose that degree because of the misguided notion that I should "follow my passion". I've had my resume revamped by 3 separate career counselors and friends working in target companies, but most employers still consider my background too specialized. Since graduating, the jobs that I have worked include tech support, office temp, and coffee shop barista. I've also tried to start businesses on 3 occasions, but I've learned that it's almost impossible to succeed without specialized knowledge in an economic sector that's growing.

I have no debt and am open to moving, although I strongly prefer to live in a major city; I've lived in small towns during 9 of the last 10 years and hated it. I also want some level of work-life balance. I'm ok with working 60 hours per week, but I don't ever want to do 80-hour work weeks ever again.

How can I prepare for early retirement while still having time to enjoy my life?

I've done a little bit of computer programming and IT, but I'm really bored by these topics. I can't imagine how I would compete for jobs and promotions with people 10 years younger than me who are passionate about these topics and willing to 100+ hours a week.

I've also taken some steps toward getting an MBA from a top 5 or 10 school (something my employer will not pay for). This is the most expensive route, so I was wondering what other career options were available.

My motivation for retiring early is the freedom to do whatever I want, whenever I want. I want to be able to explore the world and live life to the fullest.

Marry rich - That was a good laugh. That advice is more useful than advice from my college guidance counselor.

Since I'm 10 years behind, are there special investment strategies that I should follow? Stop renting and buy a house as soon as my career stabilizes? Be willing to take on more risk, right?

What interests you? Respiratory therapist? Plumber? Excel expert?

I would not buy a house in your current situation. Mobility can be a great asset.

Welcome back....

So, a science degree SHOULD lend itself for you getting more general knowledge in that field... IOW, you do not have to start over to get to a good end result...

Also, why not remove that specialization from your resume:confused: If that seems to be the problem then just do not tell anybody.... I would assume that your degree is more general... IOW, I have a BBA and an MBA.... but specialty was accounting.... if I could not find an accounting degree and wanted to go into marketing, I would just list the BBA and MBA...

You might want to go to places with low unemployment... I had a boss when I was still going to school who was in charge of a sales force... but his degree was in chemical engineering... once I asked about that and he said the college degree was the admission ticket, but it could have been any degree.... so you might be selling yourself short... IOW, you did not get a degree in Egyptian history.... that is pretty useless....

Your problem now is that you are 10 years out of college without any meaningful steady work history in any professional field. Your work history consists of entry level jobs.

What makes you think an MBA will help,you have a worthless degree, find computer programming and IT work boring, what exactly do you want to do?

You have some things to work out before you start dreaming about ER. Are you saying there is no job anywhere for your degree area?

Thanks to everyone for the responses! You've given me a great deal to think about. Tons of great career ideas so far. Keep them coming.

I have no debt and am open to moving, although I strongly prefer to live in a major city

How can I prepare for early retirement while still having time to enjoy my life?

My motivation for retiring early is the freedom to do whatever I want, whenever I want. I want to be able to explore the world and live life to the fullest.

I might have a suggestion that would work great for you. I would suggest you look into teaching english in a foreign country. All you need for most qualifications is a degree in anything. It doesn't have to have anything to do with teaching or english. The fact you are American will help you get jobs as well. Most places want people to teach american english.

You would get to travel and experience new places now, instead of waiting for retirement. You would make plenty of money to live comfortably and if your frugal you could put money aside. I bet it would pay better than your previous jobs.

Since you'd be living in the country instead of traveling you'd be able to sight-see on your free time for very cheap.

My strong suggestion if this interests you is to go onto youtube and search for a country that you'd like to live in for a year. So for example search for "teaching english in japan". You will find thousands of videos from people telling you how to get a job doing this and what their experiences have been. You can seriously make a comfortable living doing this while getting to travel all over the planet.

One of my co-workers, her daughter got a degree in teaching sociology for middle school kids. She couldn't find a job in her city when she graduated. So she started applying for jobs in foreign countries and got lots of offers. She has spent the past decade traveling all over the world teaching sociology to schools that cater to expat kids. Some of the places she worked paid extremely well, like $80k in Hong Kong. She has lived in a new country every year, done tons of traveling, and makes really good money teaching to the kids of wealthy expats. Lots of very expensive private schools all over the world catering to this segment. The wealthy expats (international banker types) want their kids to be taught by a native english speaker.

Anyway here is game plan... Start off teaching english and see if you like it. You have a degree so that qualifies you to teach english pretty much anywhere. Higher paying countries like Japan for example. Anyway try it out. See if you like it. Do it for 3-4 years and save some money. If you do like it then maybe consider getting a teaching degree in a subject you like... Hey, you might even already be qualified to enough to get a job teaching science. These are foreign countries, you don't need to go through the qualification rigmarole that you do in the US. Just go and apply for jobs. If you get your foot in the door and get some experience on the resume then you are golden. My friends daughter started making really good money after she had 5 years experience. There is not a lot of native American english speakers out there teaching elementary/middle/high school stuff in foreign countries.

Last edited:
Good luck.

You're correct, if you are not passionate about IT don't do it for a career. The unhappy folks I knew in good times wanted potential dollars not a career. They were miserable and it showed.

Back
Top Bottom