Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-01-2016, 02:40 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
Sure. I know all that. I was in for 20 years myself. Espescially with officers. I Saw all kinds. But the basic enlisted person's age being raised that high is not usual. Usually they do that when they are scraping the bottom of the barrel or during really big wars like WWII

Even in the enlisted corps, the rise of IT professionals has necessitated bringing people in at older ages. I have a Firecontrolman who came in in his 30s - not bottom barrel at all.

I think it's a good thing, honestly, as long as it's the right people. We shouldn't be turning away talent in the support ranks simply due to age.

Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2016, 03:08 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
Even in the enlisted corps, the rise of IT professionals has necessitated bringing people in at older ages. I have a Firecontrolman who came in in his 30s - not bottom barrel at all.

I think it's a good thing, honestly, as long as it's the right people. We shouldn't be turning away talent in the support ranks simply due to age.
Not what the article was talking about. The uniquely qualifides have always been there. Everything is waiverable. Maybe the article was imprecise (heh heh. not the first time) but it addressed a general intake of older people. Not the uniquely qualified. That means they ain''t gettin' enough of what they want so they're expanding the pool and panning for gold and taking what they can get.
Probably NOT a bad idea as 35 hasn't been "old" in quite some time.

Old 07-01-2016, 03:59 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
Not what the article was talking about. The uniquely qualifides have always been there. Everything is waiverable. Maybe the article was imprecise (heh heh. not the first time) but it addressed a general intake of older people. Not the uniquely qualified. That means they ain''t gettin' enough of what they want so they're expanding the pool and panning for gold and taking what they can get.

Probably NOT a bad idea as 35 hasn't been "old" in quite some time.

I can only speak for a very small segment of the Navy, but I don't see a general in flux of lesser qualifiers. Heck, we are downsizing quite a bit...

Now, when he traditional pension goes away for new entrants in the near future, I think that's going to be a game changer.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 04:16 PM   #64

Quote:

Now, when he traditional pension goes away for new entrants in the near future, I think that's going to be a game changer.
Boy, you aren't kidding. It was the pension (and Tricare) that kept me around as long as it did. *IF* it wasn't available to me at the time, I would have bailed much, MUCH earlier. I certainly retired at a good time.

Nonetheless, even as great as the pension and Tricare is, I cannot recommend the military for anyone who isn't VERY interested in it. A lot of folks (especially the Air Force types) want to look at it as a job...but it IS NOT...it is a LIFESTYLE and a lifestyle in which has facets that you CANNOT control. I did my absolute best to approach it only as a job, but at times that was impossible to do. So..even though the pot of gold at the rainbow has been great, it came at a cost.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:25 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh, yeah. I don't know if accessions will change much (it's not a big motivator for getting people to sign up), but detailers/assignments folks will have a much harder time filling undesirable jobs. At present, they get a lot of fills for "bad" jobs using people at the 15+year point who just can't afford to say "no" and give up 100% of their pension. ("Sorry, I know you just came from an unaccompanied tour in Korea, but there's another job that will be great for you in Turkey, or a de-mining job in Iraq. I might be able to help you with a follow-on assignment after that, but no promises.")
Old 07-05-2016, 03:15 PM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
If you are at all interested in computers and computer programming, then I think that a job in the hi tech industry could be a very viable option. There is age discrimination in the tech industry for sure (as there is with most industries, I expect) but you are still well within the prime hiring range.

Most people think of being a developer/programmer as the way to go here, but there are actually several other options within the same field that offer good salaries, even for rookies. Particularly interesting could be a QA (quality assurance - tester) or UI Designer job. QA specifically doesn't require a lot of computer background (though many do) but you need to have some experience in programming to get your first job.

There are plenty of free on-line courses that can get you started, but I think a certificate from a local community college would be very useful on the resume as well.

Good advice. I got a job as a QA and man am I glad I did. Sure its a desk job, but I will be done at 50 in 15 more years.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:11 AM   #67

To review:
  • You have a history of low-paying jobs;
  • You currently have little savings;
  • You want to live in a big city;
  • You want work-life balance;
  • You want to have children;
  • You want to retire early.
Frankly, a want-your-cake-and-eat-it approach will get you nowhere. You need to prioritize and decide what sacrifices you are prepared to make to achieve your real goals.

If ER is really important to you, you'll probably have to knuckle down and spend the next 20 years working long hours, probably at some sort of job you don't particularly like, while living below your means (possibly in a small town) and aggressively investing your savings.

Raising children is very expensive. If that experience is really important to you, you can probably forget about ER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Your problem now is that you are 10 years out of college without any meaningful steady work history in any professional field. Your work history consists of entry level jobs.
+1. While an MBA may provide some useful skills, I doubt that it (or any other degree) is going to be of much use in overcoming the above problem. When it comes to high-paying, non-entry level positions, virtually all employers will want to see a decent track record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
I cannot recommend the military for anyone who isn't VERY interested in it.
Totally agree.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:09 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

If you don't want to go back to school:

50 Jobs over $50,000 Without a Degree (Part 1)

50 Jobs over $50,000 Without a Degree (Part 2)

Profoundly Disconnected
Old 07-09-2016, 02:45 PM   #69

Am I digging myself deeper into a hole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
To review:
  • You have a history of low-paying jobs;
  • You currently have little savings;
  • You want to live in a big city;
  • You want work-life balance;
  • You want to have children;
  • You want to retire early.
Frankly, a want-your-cake-and-eat-it approach will get you nowhere. You need to prioritize and decide what sacrifices you are prepared to make to achieve your real goals.

If ER is really important to you, you'll probably have to knuckle down and spend the next 20 years working long hours, probably at some sort of job you don't particularly like, while living below your means (possibly in a small town) and aggressively investing your savings.

Raising children is very expensive. If that experience is really important to you, you can probably forget about ER.

+1. While an MBA may provide some useful skills, I doubt that it (or any other degree) is going to be of much use in overcoming the above problem. When it comes to high-paying, non-entry level positions, virtually all employers will want to see a decent track record.

Totally agree.
+1. It seems the missing ingredient here is not another fancy degree but a willingness to make a commitment to something and dig in. The OP learned the lesson that "Doing what you love" is not lucrative. Welcome to most everyone's experience! How about now implementing the lesson, like most of the rest of us, and "Do something that seems good enough"? There are certainly ample ideas above. Present a positive attitude, even if you fake it at first, LBYM, take on extra work, move up periodically, retire early. It's really pretty straightforward and you might learn to like it. I've noticed that my friends with all kinds of degrees, including the humanities like me, and who kinda figured that common formula out by our late 20s and leaned into it are, two decades later, enjoying stable families, influence and control over our time at work, lucrative career options, own our homes, have good health and medical care and can see a path to retirement. Others, who just couldn't commit (though terrific people), just never got the same life traction, are still single, and still just getting by. Sorry for the tough love but that's what some young people need to hear before the general career and mate selection trajectory windows close, and probably what's to be expected when one asks a board full of millionaires who worked hard for decades for what they have, "So, how can I retire early?" before one has first found the thing to retire from. Good luck.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:16 PM   #70

With a name like SkyNet you would think you are a keen computer person, but maybe you are simply a user computer person, or worse, just a movie watcher.

Perhaps you should look at the trades, plumber, electrician.
You take some training, do an apprenticeship, then work for a business, later you start your own business on the side, then hire some workers as the business grows big..

Point is: figure out what pays well, and do that job. So what if you don't love/like it, that is why it's called work and not vacation
Old 07-09-2016, 06:19 PM   #71

I read that there's a shortage of welders and some good ones are making 6 figures. Seems kind of fun to me.