Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpmyretirement View Post
Today my politics based approach to career management was reinforced futher. My wife had a 33% raise and 2 level promotion in July. She survived a re-org induced round of lay offs in December. Unprompted, as part of the reorg, she was just promoted 2 more levels and recieved another 10% raise.

She is at the bottom end of the level and payscale for her new position. This means lots of opportunity for more $$$$$ and promotions. She did not apply for or request the new position, just gets her work done and actively manages her reputation. She is now "peering" with people having substantially more experience than her, who do "whatever it takes" to get the job done.

@#$% hard work to get ahead. Just @#$% it.
Is she in a private company?

In my megacorp regardless of how hard you work or who you politically align with anything more than a 5% raise is not possible. We also don't get automatic raises for climbing the corporate ladder. More work, same pay...

The only way to get a huge increase in my industry is to have a skill coveted by a competing company.
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just to reinforce the benefits of continuing self-employment business on the side while working full-time, I offer one small experience that happened today. I had to sit down with two bosses and look at my raise. I'm being passed back from my 5th megacorp boss to 4th boss. Both are nice guys, and I understand their position. They even extended some carrots, such as working overtime and getting comp time in return.

Their problem is that the raise for one year presented to me was was about 2X's the amount of a consulting check I had in my pocket for 2 days work. When you work at something you truly enjoy and get well paid for, it really helps to cushion some of the corporate pain.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

My big "bonus" for outstanding performance was less than 1% of my salary, and as a Federal employee, my pay has been frozen for 2 years anyway. I am not allowed to earn overtime.

Not much of an incentive to knock myself out.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Just to reinforce the benefits of continuing self-employment business on the side while working full-time, I offer one small experience that happened today. I had to sit down with two bosses and look at my raise. I'm being passed back from my 5th megacorp boss to 4th boss. Both are nice guys, and I understand their position. They even extended some carrots, such as working overtime and getting comp time in return.

Their problem is that the raise for one year presented to me was was about 2X's the amount of a consulting check I had in my pocket for 2 days work. When you work at something you truly enjoy and get well paid for, it really helps to cushion some of the corporate pain.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #64
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst
My big "bonus" for outstanding performance was less than 1% of my salary, and as a Federal employee, my pay has been frozen for 2 years anyway. I am not allowed to earn overtime.

Amethyst
I feel your pain, as a state employee, I have had one annual increase in the past 10 years and that was a 1% increase, managers got no increases while our union employees got a raise every year and far surpassed our salaries.
Ron0731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:38 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

boy, sure wish i could ditch and switch like someone mentioned above. with a 401k match the best i have seen and a company funded pension and a raise of 3-5% per year, i am stuck like glue. i just don't think i can equal the total package anywhere else in the industry. pension is gone for new hires (measly couple extra 401k points instead) and if you leave of your own accord and want to come back later, it will not be reinstated. and the fun Jack Welsch-style performance appraisals and 1-5 buckets remain fun. we do it twice a year
web_diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:49 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

Amethyst
I feel your pain. I am definately in an organization where the incentives are to sit back, relax and feel your ass grow.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:26 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

The only think I can say is at least you have a job (private industry or govt) but if other opportunities arise make a change.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:07 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

Govies are my customer in the full-time job, so I understand the lack of incentive. I do envy the TSP plan you have (I think you have), and the paid leave. Some federal agencies are back on tuition reimbursement after a time out on that, I think.

Our tuition reimbursement was cut by 25% per year, but that will not affect me, fortunately. I'll get my degree courtesy of megacorp, and I feel real lucky to have that opportunity.

So, some things to be cheerful about for all employed persons. My primary point was that if you have something else, it feels good to focus on the something else.

For some reason, the more consulting work I decline, the deeper I get involved with the consulting work. It is really a mixed bag, as much of my free time is used up. So long as I keep lovin' it, I will be ok.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:12 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by web_diva View Post
boy, sure wish i could ditch and switch like someone mentioned above. with a 401k match the best i have seen and a company funded pension and a raise of 3-5% per year, i am stuck like glue. i just don't think i can equal the total package anywhere else in the industry. pension is gone for new hires (measly couple extra 401k points instead) and if you leave of your own accord and want to come back later, it will not be reinstated. and the fun Jack Welsch-style performance appraisals and 1-5 buckets remain fun. we do it twice a year
Last year I got bucket #2. This year I got bucket #3, as in most years previous. I call it the Bucket of Mediocrity.

This year we are going from 5 buckets to 4 buckets. And we will look in the buckets twice a year.

A really sad thing is that people who got bucket #4 found it was bone dry.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:21 PM   #70

Had one more annual review this week. Got what I wanted - A middle of the pack employee however I am highly appreciated and regarded by upper management. Translation - man your never going to see another raise but we'll keep you around forever if you want. One hour of my life for a year of freedom.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:10 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Well, the pressure to perform is actually quite high, lately - everything has to be done yesterday. Throughout my career, I was always Ms. "Not good enough? I will work harder," but that seems silly now. I am looking for a spot where I can work less hard, and nobody will notice!

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I feel your pain. I am definately in an organization where the incentives are to sit back, relax and feel your ass grow.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #72

I hear your pain on the merit side.

Most folks are working 50 - 60 hours per week. The avg merit raise is 1% with the past 2 years being flat. I told my boss, I'm on the 45 hour week program or else I'll get sick

I'm almost ready to move into contract/temp type work for hourly pay and boss is getting the hint.
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:26 AM   #73

One of my friends emailed me this several years ago. I occasionally re-read it to keep things in perspective. And now I am passing it on to you...

"Many people wonder what basis is used to determine promotions and merit increases at Fortune 500 companies. Read carefully if you're still employed and striving for advancement. What follows will also assist those who do not wish to advance their careers but are interested in continuing their health benefits and salary increases with a minimum of stress and "face time." This wisdom applies to most industries. Large companies are similar to the military or the Federal government; if you're successful in one branch you'll likely be successful in another.

* All large companies systematically classify employees in a similar manner. Working within the confines of a large organization produces a clone that can go from company to company and not know the difference. Your boss protects himself first, examines you for compliance, and never reveals all the information necessary to complete an assignment nor fully delegates authority.

* All is not on a merit basis. Review awards, promotions, work assignments and analyze the reasons for the final decisions. Specifically analyze why merit did not receive the just reward.

* Being right is not always sufficient. Recall past proposals not approved even though all facts confirmed ratification.

* Most employees are ranked as: show horses, work horses, or horse's behinds. Discern which category routinely collects the rewards. Yes: show horses.

* Historically companies assume that the "corporate heros" are those that arrive early, leave late, and appear to be hard at work. In truth, many are poorly organized or spending time on the wrong things. Measuring results requires more attention on the part of management - not the number of hours put in but what gets results. Again - show horses usually place first in this game.

* Face Time. What is this? Why is it necessary to be seen at in the office at unusual hours, or attend functions where no decisions or business discussions are taking place. Again, show horses excel at this sport.

* Spend part of each day in idleness. Many either work too hard or are worked too hard, for no purpose but someone elses' gain.

* Review how managers administer their personal assets. Does your boss favor an annuity or a lump sum payoff? Insights on administration of personal assets reveal the type of person you must manage, pilot, or be manipulated by. Do not bring bold proposals to leaders who find it difficult to manage their own finances.

* Do not seek additional work assignments from a boss who continuously red pencils all your proposals. Spend your free time between the red pencil sessions working on your personal investments or career enhancement.

* An old South American saying; "the devil knows more from age than being the devil". This is very applicable to young astronauts seeking career guidance. If definition required, please contact author.

* Beware of bosses who call meetings at 4 pm or on Saturday mornings. They possibly do not enjoy family life, sport activities, lack a sound sex life or feel insecure.

Above advice will be helpful to career employees not hustling to break the top management sound barrier. They can watch the show with the actors playing their roles, appreciate this corporate comedy for its entertainment value, and fall back on the "don't worry - be happy" mentality."