Join Early Retirement Today

Annuity vs 4% rule
Old 04-23-2014, 10:28 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Annuity vs 4% rule

I'm super noob here so bear with me.

This weekend my FIL was telling me his colleagues are talking about an annuity where they put $400,000 down and get a guaranteed $2500 income for his and spouse's lifetime.

I tried to see if this was a good deal and used an online calc that allowed me to figure our the monthly payout per month. Conservative number said 2999 per month, aggressive said 3500 or more. Don't remember. That calculator was oversimplified anyway.

So now I apply the 4% rule (just read the article) since it pretty much guarantees not dying broke, and take that same $400,000, withdraw 4% 1st year, and I get $1333 income per month. So why wouldn't I choose the annuity with almost double guaranteed income until death?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2014, 10:33 PM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

If they die, what happens to the $400K?

Old 04-23-2014, 10:35 PM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

The company keeps it. They bought the annuity. The original amount has been spent.

If I'm not aiming to give to heirs why not just pick the annuity?
Old 04-23-2014, 10:36 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

$1,333 first month and adjusted for inflation thereafter. Annuity gets no inflation increase.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:39 PM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

1333 for first Year* and what if inflation only allows me to up it to 1500/mo following year. I'm still feeling young and want to travel. Why wouldn't I pick the 2500? What if the annuity had a rider that let me get extra income if the stocks are doing well?
Old 04-23-2014, 10:44 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

How old is the couple when they purchase the annuity? I plugged $400,000 for a couple age 65 into Immediate Annuities - Income Annuity Quote Calculator - ImmediateAnnuities.com and came up with $1900/mo. Had to increase the start date to age 75 to get $2500/mo.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazysundays View Post
What if the annuity had a rider that let me get extra income if the stocks are doing well?
I smell a variable annuity sales pitch. Tread very carefully before buying the sizzle.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:49 PM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

I didn't even know age mattered. Thought it was fixed. These are men in early 60s discussing this. I think it was a prudential plan.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:50 PM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

Rewhoo ?
Old 04-23-2014, 10:50 PM   #10

Use the gain from the $400,000 to go on vacation. Meanwhile person with annuity can only go on $2,500 vacation. Wait no he can't, inflation is eating away his income.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:53 PM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

So while I was reading the 4% article it said the 4 only mattered the first year. I have no concept. What % will it be adjusted to for inflation? 5, 6 8% ?
Old 04-23-2014, 10:54 PM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

I am to clueless to deliver a pitch. I just learned today that what FIL was referring to was an annuity.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazysundays View Post
So while I was reading the 4% article it said the 4 only mattered the first year. I have no concept. What % will it be adjusted to for inflation? 5, 6 8% ?
You need to do more research and reading on your own, then tell us what you think the adjustment should be.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:56 PM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

Anyway off to bed. Good night but yes, I see your points about inflation. A bad year can really leave someone with barely any $ to live off.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:57 PM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

Ok tell me what to read next
Old 04-23-2014, 11:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
How old is the couple when they purchase the annuity? I plugged $400,000 for a couple age 65 into Immediate Annuities - Income Annuity Quote Calculator - ImmediateAnnuities.com and came up with $1900/mo. Had to increase the start date to age 75 to get $2500/mo.
I plugged the in a couple both age 65 and it gave me $2,365 on $400,000. This sounds a little closer to what I would expect and is in the neighborhood of the annuity lazysundays seems to be talking about.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:15 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't forget to check with your state and find out what the maximum amount the life insurance company is guaranteed to pay in case they go out of business. This limit is $100,000 in some states.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:42 AM   #18
Dryer sheet aficionado

Rewahoo- just looked up historical inflation rates. Like I thought- it's all over the place from 1%, 5% 22%! Yikes. Even a 4% inflation on year 2 of retirement leaves the annuity without enough buying power for the year.

And that is the answer I was looking for. Thanks peeps
Old 04-24-2014, 07:01 AM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Lazy. I am not a fan of annuities but you need to do a lot of reading before you take one or reject the concept entirely. They can have a place to cover a portion of expenses but there are a lot of gotchas. Most people here (among those who would even consider an annuity) would direct you toward an SPIA and not a variable annuity, equity indexed or other flavor which likely has high expenses and weak benefits.

SPIAs are available with inflation riders (or fixed yearly increases). The cost of those are more comparable to the "4%" rule but you may have a hard time finding calculators online that will give you a quick answer for what you will pay for one of them. It is easier to pop out an unchanging figure, like your $2500 and the big figure appears much more compelling that a low but gradually rising figure.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:12 AM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al18 View Post
Don't forget to check with your state and find out what the maximum amount the life insurance company is guaranteed to pay in case they go out of business. This limit is $100,000 in some states.
The credit risk of an annuity is so close to inconsequential that it can be ignored for all practical purposes. First, solvency regulations put in place in the 1990s require regulators to intervene long before a company is insolvent. Second, if a company becomes troubled, usually either the company is sold or its policies are sold to a more financially stable insurer. So the guaranty funds kick in only where the insolvency happens so fast that regulators can't intervene in time and the company is in such poor condition that no one will buy it or its policies.

The fact is that there have no been any significant insolvencies since the late 1990s and to the best of my knowledge for the small ones that have occurred policyholders have received what they were entitled to under their contracts. Even through the recent great recession where banks were falling like dominos there were no significant insurance company failures.

pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote