Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-17-2014, 11:36 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Our world-wide e-mail system was down for several days due to some unexplained disaster. I tried to use my web access e-mail account and found that it had not taken an e-mail for 5 months--it was 5 months behind for some unknown reason.

Fortunately, I do not have a mission-critical role. I do wonder how those who do managed.

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2014, 08:34 PM   #22

I like to go places where there is little chance that I will have wifi access and thus no chance to check on work email for days on end. I don't mind checking it when I do, as all I do in most cases is forward the email to my boss to deal with as he sees fit.

Ed, are you sure they didn't just turn off your email?

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:04 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derslickmeister View Post
I think it comes from the need to stay connected and "in the loop" due to the fear of losing control and getting to far behind. I know I shouldn't do it but the pressure to stay one step ahead of the bear is just too great (in my mind that's how it feels anyway). We are a very competitive bunch, maybe to competitive for our own good . ER is only 20 months away, I will finally turn loose of the reins...
+1 exactly.

I see co-w*rkers act like this all the time. They have to show they care, that they are in control. You know, they'll fall the sword for the man.

When I'm on vacation, I'm out. I don't care anymore. I'm FI. I come back to 2k of email or so and have learned to find the important stuff (usually about 10 emails) in 1 to 2 hours of work.

I have a way to hook up work email to my phone, but will never do so.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:43 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Speaking of physicians, going on vacation can be a real chore for them if they practice in a small town. They cannot leave without ensuring that a fully qualified locus is in place, at their expense.
Really? Is this a legal requirement?
Old 08-19-2014, 10:12 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Really? Is this a legal requirement?
Provision of continuous service is a business requirement and frequently a contractual one. In private practice, the host physician, who is usually a private contractor, underwrites the costs, resulting in a reduction in practice income. In many cases, the best that can be achieved is coverage of fixed costs (which usually amount to 30-40% of gross billings). In some areas, there are programs that facilitate the hiring of locums, but private physicians still undertake a significant financial cost to take a vacation.

You can read more detail about billing arrangements for locums in Canada on page 7 et seq. of this document:

https://www.cma.ca/Assets/assets-lib...odule_11-e.pdf

I cannot comment on private practice locum arrangements in the US.

This was one of the reasons why I always chose to work in a team environment where we could cover for each other.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:58 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBuckeye View Post
I definitely had this problem the last few years working. I was too tired to really plan anything fun. And really, that tired you just want to stay home and read a book anyway. It's tough when you need to take vacation days just to catch up with house issues.

Heck - I'm going on "vacation" soon. And with all the travel planning involved I'm glad I'm retired so that I could put in all the time researching, etc.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:02 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
When I was employed I was repeatedly offered a "free" cell phone, which would have been paid for by the firm. I always declined, much to the surprise and wonder of younger co-workers. The last thing I wanted was to be constantly on call.
Me too. I couldn't stand even having a pager. And back then a work cellphone was a "new" thing. Now I imagine people can't get away from work cellphones. Horrible!
Old 08-19-2014, 11:04 AM   #28

Electronic leash started with pagers, then progressed to cell phones and laptops, currently smart phones and tablets.

I agree with the rest that when I am on vacation, I am out of touch. For that matter, when workday is done, my current job has no real need for after hours.

One of my old co-workers compared going on vacation to an assembly line. For the line workers, there is a replacement that covers your spot. For salary or mgmt, you have to build ahead and then catch up when you get back. There is no replacement for the work that goes on when you are away.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:42 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Electronic leash started with pagers, then progressed to cell phones and laptops, currently smart phones and tablets.

I agree with the rest that when I am on vacation, I am out of touch. For that matter, when workday is done, my current job has no real need for after hours.

This is what is particularly frustrating. As I would tell my program manager, "we are not saving lives here". There are NO TASKS that can't wait until the next morning. That doesn't stop my current boss from sending emails time stamped 11:00 PM on Saturday, from her car, when she is on vacation in Europe, etc. Even though there is no reason for it, the ability to do this seems to generate some need to stay involved. I don't get it now and never did.

I keep reminding myself, just 4 more days...
Old 08-19-2014, 03:38 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
This is what is particularly frustrating. As I would tell my program manager, "we are not saving lives here". There are NO TASKS that can't wait until the next morning. That doesn't stop my current boss from sending emails time stamped 11:00 PM on Saturday, from her car, when she is on vacation in Europe, etc. Even though there is no reason for it, the ability to do this seems to generate some need to stay involved. I don't get it now and never did.
I suspect that this is one of the symptoms of 'imposter syndrome'. They're afraid that if they aren't involved constantly that someone may notice. Worse, someone may notice and realize the world didn't stop spinning because the boss is out. Worst of all, someone might figure out that the boss isn't necessary for day-to-day functioning of the business.

Yes, we all know that the boss can step out for a bit and the rest of us can pick up the slack for the office routine and keep things running. Still, there's that little nagging voice in the back of the mind suggesting that "Hey, maybe you ain't necessary. They're getting stuff done without you." That little bit of self-doubt can ruin a vacation for everyone.

Could be worse. Could be a classic Dunning-Kruger effect boss. They are best seen from a distance.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:40 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Honestly, people have the same reaction when they go on vacation and can't get "the news". I remember people on a cruise boat in Alaska being distressed because they couldn't watch CNN and find out "what is going on".

I'm like - you are on vacation! Why do you have to know "what is going on" in the outside world? It doesn't matter right now! You can wait to find out when you get back.

But I was always impressed by how widespread this type of behavior was.

I think they've just been brainwashed by the media to believe that they have to be "plugged in" all the time. Just like bosses can pressure employees to be reachable at all times.

I think once people get used to being disconnected, they find they like it real well and resent the attempts by media/work culture to draw you in 24/7.

I like being unplugged. I don't find out about some national events sometimes until 4 or 5 days later, and someone happens to mentioned something that ends up in my Facebook feed. Fine with me! That's soon enough.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:52 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Honestly, people have the same reaction when they go on vacation and can't get "the news". I remember people on a cruise boat in Alaska being distressed because they couldn't watch CNN and find out "what is going on".

I'm like - you are on vacation! Why do you have to know "what is going on" in the outside world? It doesn't matter right now! You can wait to find out when you get back.

But I was always impressed by how widespread this type of behavior was.

I think they've just been brainwashed by the media to believe that they have to be "plugged in" all the time. Just like bosses can pressure employees to be reachable at all times.

I think once people get used to being disconnected, they find they like it real well and resent the attempts by media/work culture to draw you in 24/7.

I like being unplugged. I don't find out about some national events sometimes until 4 or 5 days later, and someone happens to mentioned something that ends up in my Facebook feed. Fine with me! That's soon enough.
+1

For some reason the building manager just installed a TV in the elevator lobby tuned to some news channel. No one is there for more than 30 seconds, but people can't risk being away from a screen.

I vaguely remember a quote that went something like, "I never read a paper that's less than a week old." The idea being that anything that is important will have staying power and everything else is just noise.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:24 PM   #33

Over the last 10 years I have convinced quite a few people that Key West does not have cell or internet service. Also, any voice message that starts with "I know you're on vacation but..." is deleted and never answered. The Out of Office on Outlook covers the rest. It's all about managing expectations.
I've seen many people come and go with nobody being indispensable. Perhaps part of the burn out we see around here is due to not being able to shut it off and enjoy recreation and vacation.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:45 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
I've seen many people come and go with nobody being indispensable. .

Pretty much says it all.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:45 PM   #35
Administrator

Grrr... what awful stories. Petty tyrants abound.

Yet another reason why retirement is great.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:47 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post

I have a way to hook up work email to my phone, but will never do so.
Smart move. I have to approve requests from my team members for email access on their phones. I make sure to let them know if I approve the request their lives will never be the same. Careful what you wish for...
Old 08-19-2014, 09:02 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

When I was working and on vacation I would typically review emails, etc for an hour or so each morning (usually before the rest of the family was awake), respond to those I needed to respond to and ignore the remainder until I returned to work. It was a way I could keep up and not have a huge task of reviewing email ahead of me when I got back to work but still enjoy my vacation. It worked ok for me.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:06 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
When I was working and on vacation I would typically review emails, etc for an hour or so each morning (usually before the rest of the family was awake), respond to those I needed to respond to and ignore the remainder until I returned to work. It was a way I could keep up and not have a huge task of reviewing email ahead of me when I got back to work but still enjoy my vacation. It worked ok for me.
Ditto.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:34 AM   #39

Sadly, when our grandkids get their implants inserted in 2025, they will never be able to turn them off. Fortunately, those over 65 will be grandfathered and will not require implants.

They'll just be turned into soylent green.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:18 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I usually have to take a call or two per week if I am on vacation. It comes with the salary / responsibilities. I am fine with it. My in-laws found the practice abhorrent. I see their point, but we took different paths, my f-i-l never worked past 5 PM and was focused on his kids. He is still working at 70. I work more now, but plan to work less later.