Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-13-2014, 09:35 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesq View Post
I usually have to take a call or two per week if I am on vacation. It comes with the salary / responsibilities. I am fine with it. My in-laws found the practice abhorrent. I see their point, but we took different paths, my f-i-l never worked past 5 PM and was focused on his kids. He is still working at 70. I work more now, but plan to work less later.
Yep - well said. I try to limit the stuff on vacation as well but megacorp pays me very, very well. I am ok with a couple of interruptions to my vacation and a few evening and weekend emails/calls each week. My bonus last year was more than double the average US household income. For that, I will deal with my life being interrupted now and then.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2014, 12:20 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Provision of continuous service is a business requirement and frequently a contractual one. In private practice, the host physician, who is usually a private contractor, underwrites the costs, resulting in a reduction in practice income. In many cases, the best that can be achieved is coverage of fixed costs (which usually amount to 30-40% of gross billings). In some areas, there are programs that facilitate the hiring of locus, but private physicians still undertake a significant financial cost to take a vacation.

You can read more detail about billing arrangements for locums in Canada on page 7 et seq. of this document: https://www.cma.ca/Assets/assets-lib...odule_11-e.pdf
Thanks for the link and information.

Sounds like the difficulty in taking vacations is nothing unique to medical practice and merely a reality that is shared by many (most?) other self-employed professionals and small business owners. Oh well, try to think of the tax advantages of such status!

Old 09-15-2014, 12:31 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Honestly, people have the same reaction when they go on vacation and can't get "the news". I remember people on a cruise boat in Alaska being distressed because they couldn't watch CNN and find out "what is going on"…. I think they've just been brainwashed by the media to believe that they have to be "plugged in" all the time.
Absolutely!

CNN is horribly guilty of announcing non-events - e.g., the mere possibility of yet another ceasefire in the recent Gaza conflict - as "breaking news" (sic). Presumably such hype sells soap.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:13 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Two stories:

1) I has a colleague who took a move away from our location. We were work friends. One day (after I had ER'd) I sent him an email. He replied "i'm on the beach in Florida, but yada yada". I asked him why he even read an email on a beach. His response was similar to "I'm on call 24/7 now, even if the boss just wants a virtual BJ".

2) Seven years after I re'd, I'm on a European vacation. Every few days I find a wifi connection for email (after all, something bad may be happening to the kids and/or sibs). I get an email from former mega-corp boss asking if I can remember detail of something that happened 5 years before my RE. I replied saying I contact him when i was back, that would be about a week. I got a reply asking/demanding an immediate response. I wonder if he ever found out what I knew about it.

That's the reason I always rejected a "company cell-phone you can use for personal calls", it would have to be on.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:19 PM   #45

Why on earth would former boss email you about anything, let alone something that happened 12 years prior? Heck, that's not water under the bridge, that's water that went out to sea, evaporated, and rained down somewhere.

And to demand an immediate answer? Heck, I wouldn't answer at all, ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-25-2014, 05:19 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Why on earth would former boss email you about anything, let alone something that happened 12 years prior? Heck, that's not water under the bridge, that's water that went out to sea, evaporated, and rained down somewhere.

And to demand an immediate answer? Heck, I wouldn't answer at all, ever.
Back in my earlier days I have been contacted by former bosses, former coworkers and sometime just people I don't know looking over some of my old work. I have contacted others. I never minded and I never ran into hostility from the contact.

I can't see me ever "demanding" anything. I'd laugh at anyone that got upset at me simply replying with "I'm on vacation and can't really focus on that now but I'll get back to you in a week when I get back." If they gave me grief over that. Then I agree with you to never repond again.

I've gotten some interesting insights into the goings on in some of my old groups. I'll get a chuckle out of which loser is now the department head and other such gossip. It's also a good networking opportunity. You never know when you might need a new job. Well, not anymore but....
Old 09-25-2014, 10:28 AM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Head View Post
I get an email from former mega-corp boss asking if I can remember detail of something that happened 5 years before my RE. I replied saying I contact him when i was back, that would be about a week. I got a reply asking/demanding an immediate response.
He would have gotten a three word response from me: "Go f*** yourself"
Old 09-25-2014, 11:36 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
He would have gotten a three word response from me: "Go f*** yourself"
Or an invoice for a highly paid hour of consulting
Old 09-25-2014, 11:43 AM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I get an email from former mega-corp boss asking if I can remember detail of something that happened 5 years before my RE.
In hindsight, a simple "no" would have been the best response.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:50 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post

Perfect

Old 09-25-2014, 09:28 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Before my last day at my current employer, I'm going to warn them not to expect free consulting after I leave. I've never done it with a previous employer, and I'm not starting with them.

If they want my assistance with something, they're going to have to sign a consulting contract in advance, and they'll probably choke when they hear my fees.

$1000 an hour, minimum 40 hours, and all 40 hours must be used within 30 days of the start of the engagement.

I figure $40,000 in billable hours will keep them off my back.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:47 PM   #52
Administrator

Quote:
Before my last day at my current employer, I'm going to warn them not to expect free consulting after I leave.
Good idea. Or, depending on how you feel about it, you could tell them (as I did) that they don't have enough money to pay you for any consulting at all.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 11:59 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Good idea. Or, depending on how you feel about it, you could tell them (as I did) that they don't have enough money to pay you for any consulting at all.
In lieu of $1000 an hour (which I know they wouldn't pay anyway) I might just tell them that instead - seeing the look on their face would be priceless
Old 09-26-2014, 10:32 AM   #54
Administrator

Quote:
In lieu of $1000 an hour (which I know they wouldn't pay anyway) I might just tell them that instead - seeing the look on their face would be priceless
It was, it was!!! That was a great moment.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 12:30 PM   #55

Quote:
I get an email from former mega-corp boss asking if I can remember detail of something that happened 5 years before my RE. I replied saying I contact him when i was back, that would be about a week. I got a reply asking/demanding an immediate response.
Wow.

REWahoo's suggested reply makes sense. No point in encouraging a dialogue that has no potential benefit to you.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:38 PM   #56

Years ago I did HR for a high end luxury hotel in downtown LA. The laundry supervisor came in one day incensed. She was going on vacation and told her supervisor she was worried about anything going wrong in her absence. I'll never forget what she said he told her: "this hotel was here long before you got here [about 60 years] and will be here long after you're gone--take your vacation."

That, in a nutshell, says it all, IMHO. We all think our jobs are so important, that we're indispensable, that we have to stay in control. Fact is, no person is crucial to any job, not even the CEO. That's been proven repeatedly. The issue isn't the job, the issue is with the individual who can't disconnect their identity from their work. Personally, I've left jobs that crossed what I felt were personal work/life boundaries. As was alluded to earlier by another poster, it's all about setting limits.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:52 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
The laundry supervisor came in one day incensed. She was going on vacation and told her supervisor she was worried about anything going wrong in her absence.
Who was she angry with?