Join Early Retirement Today

Another Young Dreamer
Old 06-07-2014, 08:46 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Another Young Dreamer

My son turned 18 three days ago. Today I explained the difference between taxable, tax deferred, and tax free accounts. We setup a brokerage account for him and a Roth IRA account. No need for an IRA at this point.

He's been working and saving money. To help him get started I matched what he moved into his brokerage account from his checking and would contribute the same amount to get his Roth IRA started.

He now has $3,000 in a brokerage account and $1,500 in a Roth IRA.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2014, 06:52 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim-high View Post
My son turned 18 three days ago. Today I explained the difference between taxable, tax deferred, and tax free accounts. We setup a brokerage account for him and a Roth IRA account. No need for an IRA at this point.

He's been working and saving money. To help him get started I matched what he moved into his brokerage account from his checking and would contribute the same amount to get his Roth IRA started.

He now has $3,000 in a brokerage account and $1,500 in a Roth IRA.
You are a great parent. We need more parents to do this. You got to get the kids involved early so they get a feel for this.

My dad set my sister and I up with a stock at age 10! It was part mom and dad's money, part mine that I saved. I remember the total was $300 in stock. I used to graph the price along with the DJIA. Sadly, my graph was distressing. (I remember graphing 600 on the DJIA.) Never the less, dad said I should stick with it and eventually it went up, along with the stock. I learned A LOT through this.

Secondly, during my late teens, the IRA just started. Mom and Dad also had me set up an IRA, believe it or not. Put $250 of my savings in a long term CD during those go-go rate periods. Another wise move, which of course I slowly started adding to after I got a real job. (My primary savings at my real job was a 401k.)

The IRA seemed crazy at the time, but it kept me thinking about long term horizons. I hope your son gains the same insight.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:06 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

This is a great way to get your children in the right frame of mind about saving, investing, reducing taxes and generally thinking about personal finance. We started our boys off in a similar way in their a few years ago.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:59 PM   #4

Just show him that $3,000 today at 18, will become approx $65,000 at 58, with an 8% annual rate of return. Or at 48 it is approx $30,000. That is the value of compounding, and why investing now at such a young age is so beneficial.

Also, good for you helping him to get started and lead by example.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:13 PM   #5

Thanks dad! Can I have the car keys?
Old 06-12-2014, 04:04 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Neither of my parents ever had a conversation with me about a 401k or Roth IRA and I'm 31 yrs old. The early years make a huge difference. Kudos to you sir.