Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Any Pharmacists on here?
Old 08-09-2005, 02:05 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by azanon
That's his plan. But i think they're trying to decide atm if going after his "contract arrangement" is the cheaper route, winning the suit, and just outright outcompetting him. But even that would be no easy feat as folks in those small towns tend to be quite loyal.

Also, if someone's using insurance, why go to walmart? Give the small business owner the money cause you're going to pay the same co-pay anyway. I live in little rock and he's encouraged me to seek out the local pharmacy owner here just to help them out. So far, i've just been lazy and have gone to walgreens. He's right though, I should help the small guy out i think.
I have excellent employer-provided health insurance. I get my prescriptions at Walmart because they are the cheapest around. The pharmacist there told me to get 3 months at a time of a certain prescription and don't worry about the insurance because it is cheaper than 3 copays! The pharmacy is very quick, efficient, helpful, open almost all the time, and conveniently located next to 400,000,000,000 aisles of cheap plastic crap that I need. And they have groceries too now. I have decided that the next time somebody asks me what single thing would I want on a deserted island with me, I'll say Walmart.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2005, 02:06 PM   #22

REW,

I never said he made that business deal out of benevolence for the people that live there. *But the fact does remain that without it, he wouldnt have stood a chance to make it own his own. * And yeah, i saw where you said you would have done the same thing. *I just wanted to clarifly that.

Walmart is no saint either. * Those low low prices for those cheap clothes? * Child labor in foreign countries. * There was a special on that on national TV just a few weeks ago.

Old 08-09-2005, 02:10 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie790
Thanks for the replies. I would love to save all my income but the student loan people take a good chunk each month as does rent. Salaries are not always that great. I have not worked in retail since I got out of school in 2000, and I would never do that again, that is the worst. Tons of money but no time to enjoy it. People treat you like you work at Mcdonalds. Now I am the manager of a small infusion company and I make 90 grand a year with no 401k and crappy benefits, but its low stress at least. Once I have the credit card debt paid off I will have some extra cash but not much. I make a good salary but my expenses are too high and theres nothing I can do about any of them. I live below my means with spending but its the monthly bills that kill me. I would also love to buy a house but have no idea how anyone making less than me can afford one cause I cant see myself ever affording one. As for starting a consulting business, I have always wanted to but have no idea how to start. Also I have only been out of school for 5 years so who is gonna listen to me. Oh well I will stop whining here and get back to work. Thanks

Dave
I have been out of school too long, but are there options for refinancing the student loans? I remember that used to be popular and could be done at very, very low rates.

Are you paying high interest on the credit cards? If so, you might want to look at rolling that debt into lower priced credit or asking for a reduction of rates.

We also have a poster here who did a count-down on this site to being credit card debt free. I know that was motivating to him to see the time approach where he had no credit card payments.

Have you put together a budget to see exactly where your money goes?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 02:12 PM   #24

Justin's dead on. * I'm not sure how he worked out that deal to get cheaper than co-pay, but i certainly agree with all the other benefits of just going to one store. * That's the way it is in these small towns (including the town my dad lives in). * You simply go to Walmart for everything; *its quick, easy, and you can be sure you either got the lowest price or very close to it.

My dad assumes he'd lose literally within a year or two if walmart does managed to install their own pharmacy. * But he doesnt much care now since he's 60 and can easily afford a comfortable ER now. * But he's not like us, and likes to work so......
Old 08-09-2005, 02:21 PM   #25

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. *I would love to save all my income but the student loan people take a good chunk each month as does rent. *Salaries are not always that great. *I have not worked in retail since I got out of school in 2000, and I would never do that again, that is the worst. *Tons of money but no time to enjoy it. *People treat you like you work at Mcdonalds. *Now I am the manager of a small infusion company and I make 90 grand a year with no 401k and crappy benefits, but its low stress at least. *Once I have the credit card debt paid off I will have some extra cash but not much. *I make a good salary but my expenses are too high and theres nothing I can do about any of them. *I live below my means with spending but its the monthly bills that kill me. *I would also love to buy a house but have no idea how anyone making less than me can afford one cause I cant see myself ever affording one. *As for starting a consulting business, I have always wanted to but have no idea how to start. *Also I have only been out of school for 5 years so who is gonna listen to me. *Oh well I will stop whining here and get back to work. *Thanks

Dave
What kind of monthly bills are you talking about if you are LBYM? that drain you so much that you can't save with 90k per year?
Old 08-09-2005, 02:32 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

Re: student loans

You can only "refinance" them if you have never consolidated them. If you already have, you're screwed.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:34 PM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

Monthly bills are student loans, around 800/month(this is after consolidation) plus wifes student loans 800/month, rent 910, CC repay 800/month, cars 875/month, 188 for insurance, verizon 165/month (basic phone service, cells, and DSL), 300-400 for gas for two cars plus 50 for tolls. *Try to keep groceries around 300/month and keep spending as low as possible but sometimes we just cant cook. *Wife is looking for a new higher paying job so we can save more but who knows when that will be. *
Old 08-09-2005, 02:44 PM   #28

Quote:
Monthly bills are student loans, around 800/month(this is after consolidation) plus wifes student loans 800/month, rent 910, CC repay 800/month, cars 875/month, 188 for insurance, verizon 165/month (basic phone service, cells, and DSL), 300-400 for gas for two cars plus 50 for tolls. Try to keep groceries around 300/month and keep spending as low as possible but sometimes we just cant cook. Wife is looking for a new higher paying job so we can save more but who knows when that will be.
My god! Are these figures in US dollars??

Old 08-09-2005, 02:44 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

$1600 a month on consolidated student loans?? How much do you owe? Where do you live again? You are making more alone than DW and I were combined when we bought our house in SD for ~300k, plus we had 60k in student loans and two car payments, but not as much as your car payment...
Old 08-09-2005, 02:46 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin

I have decided that the next time somebody asks me what single thing would I want on a deserted island with me, I'll say Walmart.

[quote
I'm shocked to hear you say that justin. Especially considering what you posted on another thread: to wit...
From the original poster's article, I found this quote particularly funny:
"Many guys write me asking about Mexican women. If you are a single guy, the woman situation isÖcomplex. Because most gringos never learn Spanish, they have little access and so end up lonely in the bars, or just drunk. Learn serviceable Spanish, as a fair few do, and you will find a world of attractive and agreeable females. They like gringos, who can give them a comfortable life and donít hit them or much cheat on them. Imagine a pretty, pleasant, warm-blooded young woman who doesnít snarl, grouse, demand anything, or sue. Often bright and quirky, they run to domesticity, jealousy, and tranquility. Americans married to them do not complain."
I don't know the demographics of your local Walmart, but mine is chock full o' lovely young latinas who fit the description above. I'm assuming these ladies would convey with the Walmart that I would put on my deserted island?
Old 08-09-2005, 02:50 PM   #31

Quote:
Monthly bills are student loans, around 800/month(this is after consolidation) plus wifes student loans 800/month, rent 910, CC repay 800/month, cars 875/month, 188 for insurance, verizon 165/month (basic phone service, cells, and DSL), 300-400 for gas for two cars plus 50 for tolls. *Try to keep groceries around 300/month and keep spending as low as possible but sometimes we just cant cook. *Wife is looking for a new higher paying job so we can save more but who knows when that will be.
>Cars 875 a month? *Wow you must have some nice rides. *Time to call your local newspaper and put a couple of ads in there and replace them with much cheaper ones. * * I bought my wife a brand new VW jetta wagon diesel (loaded) and its only 458/month, for 4 years to buy it (not lease). * Mine's free cause its 10.5 years old and paid for.

>omg 1600 in student loans/month. * Ouch. *My payment is $93/month for my wife's student loan (about 11K balance). * Guess pharmacy shool got expensive eh? *

>Start with that credit card - pay that sucker off as fast as possible. *

>You can get your phones (plus dsl) down to 60-70/month. * I dont have a cell phone and i survive. * Friends cost a lot of money so maybe call those friends less and cut down on long-distance charges. * Cut all the extras on your phone; *dont need caller id, and crap like that. * A cheap 19.99 dollar answering machine screens them just fine.

>300-400 for gas for two (gulp!). * *Dang, where you guys drive too, and i assume 2 SUVs? * I pay maybe 50/month for gas for my 240sx, and my wife probably pays about 50/month for her vw jetta diesel (44mpg). * We live relatively close to our jobs (as smart, frugile people tend to do) and are relatively homebodies for the most part.

>188 for insurance? You mean car insurance only? If so, ouch. * My monthly insurance is about 67/month for 2 cars - one only has liability cause its 10.5 years old. * We have no wreaks or speeding tickets and keep deductibles high, and drop all that extra frill coverage and coverage that overlaps (such as medical on your auto policy, when you already have a separate medical policy).

Old 08-09-2005, 02:51 PM   #32

Loans= $19,200
Car= * * $10,500
Rent= * $10,920
Phone=$ *1980
Food= *$ *3600
Gas= * *$ *4800

Not stated but assumed:
Social Security *$ 6750
Fed. Tax * * * * * $25000
State Tax est 4% $3600

Total * * * * $86350

That does not count Starbucks, Blockbuster or other essentials like savings and 401(k) * *That does not leave much room for savings unless you did not include your wife's salary in which case you could save much of it if you are careful. *
Old 08-09-2005, 02:56 PM   #33

Quote:
Walmart is no saint either. Those low low prices for those cheap clothes? Child labor in foreign countries. There was a special on that on national TV just a few weeks ago.
A special on national TV. And we know how national TV cares about accuracy and completeness in reporting. They don't care at all if a sensationalist story happens to get them tons of viewers, do they?

Most retail outlets carry products that come from "child labor in foreign countries". You can decide whether you pay $8 for the shirt at walmart, or $48 for the shirt at the mall.

Call me an imperialist, but I think paying unemployed starving children a few bucks to make some cheap products is good. Think about the long-term benefits for the children.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:00 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I don't know the demographics of your local Walmart, but mine is chock full o' lovely young latinas who fit the description above. I'm assuming these ladies would convey with the Walmart that I would put on my deserted island?
Ah, I thought that's where we were going. As a resident of SD I can attest there are many attractive latinas, as well as hot women of every other race here. Unfortunately, they don't seem to be in Wal-Mart.

Thinking about the clientel at my neighborhood Wal Mart reminds me of a conversation I had with a coworker about NASCAR:

Coworker: "Aw man, you never been? It's awesome when they come out of the turn and they generate enough wind that all the trash in the stands gets sucked into the air!"

Laurence: "you mean it pulls them all up by their overalls? Do they keep their grip on their bottle of Jack?"

Cowoker: "I said trash, not white trash!"

(As a person with White Trash blood in me, I'm allowed to say that, right? )
Old 08-09-2005, 03:00 PM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My god! Are these figures in US dollars??
Easy on dougie, Justin. Remember that those of us on this board are the exception when it comes to LBYM, investing and other financial matters.

dougie, you have a great opportunity to make a huge improvement in your financial status. Wade through the informatini this board, ask questions, educate yourself on what is possible and make some changes in your life. Many here started off in far worse situations than you are in and are now miles ahead of the pack.

There is no free lunch, so it will take some self-discipline and time to pay down your debt and invest for the future, but it will be well worth it.

REW

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 03:01 PM   #36

Quote:
Monthly bills are student loans, around 800/month(this is after consolidation) plus wifes student loans 800/month, rent 910, CC repay 800/month, cars 875/month, 188 for insurance, verizon 165/month (basic phone service, cells, and DSL), 300-400 for gas for two cars plus 50 for tolls. *Try to keep groceries around 300/month and keep spending as low as possible but sometimes we just cant cook. *Wife is looking for a new higher paying job so we can save more but who knows when that will be. *
- have you looked into park and ride in your city? I think others will point out more on your budget, but it sounds like you would be a good candidate to listen to "Brother Dave" Ramsey. He has a lot of people call in that dont see where to cut. Some people are just not taught how to LBYM so they have to learn for themselves. It really isnít that bad. It is all just "stuff".
Old 08-09-2005, 03:02 PM   #37

Quote:
>Cars 875 a month? *Wow you must have some nice rides. *Time to call your local newspaper and put a couple of ads in there and replace them with much cheaper ones. * * I bought my wife a brand new VW jetta wagon diesel (loaded) and its only 458/month, for 4 years to buy it (not lease). * Mine's free cause its 10.5 years old and paid for.

>omg 1600 in student loans/month. * Ouch. *My payment is $93/month for my wife's student loan (about 11K balance). * Guess pharmacy shool got expensive eh? *

>Start with that credit card - pay that sucker off as fast as possible. *

>You can get your phones (plus dsl) down to 60-70/month. * I dont have a cell phone and i survive. * Friends cost a lot of money so maybe call those friends less and cut down on long-distance charges. * Cut all the extras on your phone; *dont need caller id, and crap like that. * A cheap 19.99 dollar answering machine screens them just fine.

>300-400 for gas for two (gulp!). * *Dang, where you guys drive too, and i assume 2 SUVs? * I pay maybe 50/month for gas for my 240sx, and my wife probably pays about 50/month for her vw jetta diesel (44mpg). * We live relatively close to our jobs (as smart, frugile people tend to do) and are relatively homebodies for the most part.

>188 for insurance? You mean car insurance only?* *If so, ouch. * My monthly insurance is about 67/month for 2 cars - one only has liability cause its 10.5 years old. * We have no wreaks or speeding tickets and keep deductibles high, and drop all that extra frill coverage and coverage that overlaps (such as medical on your auto policy, when you already have a separate medical policy).

Some good starting points above. It really sounds as if you are a good candidate for some of that dave ramsey tough love. *

We all talk about the miracle of compounding- - trouble is, it works in reverse also and it appears you are getting a good (bad) dose of it.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:19 PM   #38
Dryer sheet aficionado

Gas is so high cause I drive an hour each way to work in traffic. *We live in PA and go to NJ to see my parents every other weekend, my grandparents live with them so we go to see everyone often cause theres been some medical problems lately. *I drive a mitsubishi galant, bought three years ago with two to go and she leases a corolla with 4 years left I think. *Our loans are high cause pharmacy school was around 100,000( I think with interest I owe like 150,000 or something like that) and she has around 60,000 in loans from her schooling. *Yeh and its great paying the loans every month when I havent really found a job I like yet or can tolerate, but then again thats why I am on this site trying to get things together and get out. *Thanks.

Dave
Old 08-09-2005, 03:32 PM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Dougie:

You sound a lot like me. *Live in NJ, relatively high salary, but relatively high costs. *not a whole lot of room in te budget. *I've got similar car payments, gas and tolls expenses, very little student loan debt, but much higher mortgage plus RE taxes. *The difference for me is that I managed to squeak through school without much in the way of loans and I worked and saved for several years before grad school.

You are under a pretty crushing debt load and need to start figuring out what to do to get out of it. *I don't see a lot of discretionary expenses in your budget, so it sounds like you need to get your wife a decent job and devote her earnings to paying down debt.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 03:33 PM   #40

Quote:
Gas is so high cause I drive an hour each way to work in traffic. *We live in PA and go to NJ to see my parents every other weekend, my grandparents live with them so we go to see everyone often cause theres been some medical problems lately. *I drive a mitsubishi galant, bought three years ago with two to go and she leases a corolla with 4 years left I think. *Our loans are high cause pharmacy school was around 100,000( I think with interest I owe like 150,000 or something like that) and she has around 60,000 in loans from her schooling. *Yeh and its great paying the loans every month when I havent really found a job I like yet or can tolerate, but then again thats why I am on this site trying to get things together and get out. *Thanks.

Dave
Well it looks like SUV's are not the problem.* Have you got decent rates on those car loans?* If not, there are refi deals that can help.* Any chance a change of address could help with transportation and the ability to get home?* How bad is the rate on the credit card?