Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Any tips for corporate climbers?
Old 05-23-2005, 07:10 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yep.

No. 7 works for me too. Plus - several meetings?/doughnut shop group ins per week with fellow retiree's wherein we sharpen our skills in pontification.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2005, 09:59 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
I wish. I also wish I was 7 feet tall with a wicked hook.
Wildcat,

You do not have to graduate from Wharton. A coworker says that his friends from college with an MBA from the University of Michigan are doing extremely well financially in Wall Street but not sure mentally because of the stress and long hours. My take is that it is not a bad price to pay since you could ER after only a few years of work.

Spanky
Old 05-23-2005, 04:57 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
Sounds great but even after I finish grad school I doubt I will ever touch that range.* * I just have a hard time thinking people make that much but I get I asked what it took to get to ER fast.
Try and not lose heart. It took 15 years of grind to get there. And the truth is - I was just a grunt. But I was of service to people who were considered important in their field and made serious money. Many ex-bosses were millionaires already, and still addicted to spending all day making more and that's the important thing.

After all, one can be a PA to a Sales Manager or a CEO, do roughly the same type of work and get vastly different rewards . . . Look at it* another way. Lets say you want to make 100k and you feel you deserve it, but your Boss makes only 90k, its not going to happen IMHO.
1.Convert Euro assets to US$ now or not?<br />2.Tax haven work, anyone ventured?<br />3.ER income from Real-Estate or Equities?<br />4.ER to Canada or US?<br />5.Lifesavings secure in Funds after Worldcon/Enrot/Equitable Life?<br />6.House price correction risk as rates go up?<br />7.Prop arbitrage i.e. CA &gt; 20% IL&lt;8%?
ER@40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 05:12 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
You do not have to graduate from Wharton. A coworker says that his friends from college with an MBA from the University of Michigan are doing extremely well financially in Wall Street but not sure mentally because of the stress and long hours. My take is that it is not a bad price to pay since you could ER after only a few years of work.
Second that. I for one haven't even a masters. Had no knowledge of the markets whatsoever. But at the time, I had killer knowledge of Excel. I could build things for the Traders that their internal IT guys said weren't possible, and that's what they liked.

So you don't necessarily require an ideal background but you need to have something to offer, to bargain with, try and be useful in other ways, and be practical.

You might be surprised to know, that many folks I’ve met along the way especially Traders, have surprisingly limited academic backgrounds. Having the right MBA doesn't automatically make you useful. Its what you are able to contribute that matters.
1.Convert Euro assets to US$ now or not?<br />2.Tax haven work, anyone ventured?<br />3.ER income from Real-Estate or Equities?<br />4.ER to Canada or US?<br />5.Lifesavings secure in Funds after Worldcon/Enrot/Equitable Life?<br />6.House price correction risk as rates go up?<br />7.Prop arbitrage i.e. CA &gt; 20% IL&lt;8%?
ER@40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 05:46 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER@40
Second that. I for one haven't even a masters. Had no knowledge of the markets whatsoever. But at the time, I had killer knowledge of Excel. I could build things for the Traders that their internal IT guys said weren't possible, and that's what they liked.

So you don't necessarily require an ideal background but you need to have something to offer, to bargain with, try and be useful in other ways, and be practical.

You might be surprised to know, that many folks I’ve met along the way especially Traders, have surprisingly limited academic backgrounds. Having the right MBA doesn't automatically make you useful. Its what you are able to contribute that matters.
I have a 2 year degree from a community college and was CEO of
4 different corporations (and officer level in several others). So, it can be done. You need a niche though.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 06:32 AM   #46

Quote:
Having the right MBA doesn't automatically make you useful. Its what you are able to contribute that matters
Trust me I know about this one. I get tired of hearing people tell me I will have it made once I finish. They don't know what the hell they are talking about.

Quote:
Quote:
You need a niche though.
Working on that part
Old 05-24-2005, 02:35 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Two comments:

-The advice to acquire Excel expertise is spot on. I've seen it time and again: if you know Excel inside and out you'll have more job security, better service reviews, and coworkers who like having you around. I strongly recommend being the best Excel-nik in the office.

-I think the best time to get an MBA is straight out of undergraduate school. This is contrarian, but think about it. You're young and you're in full-time student mode. You're able to enjoy the social side of college. You'll have a couple more years to polish your job-hunting skills. You'll be spared a crappy post-undergrad entry-level position. And you'll look like a whiz kid.

Ed
gratefuled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 03:14 PM   #48

Quote:
think the best time to get an MBA is straight out of undergraduate school. This is contrarian, but think about it. You're young and you're in full-time student mode. You're able to enjoy the social side of college. You'll have a couple more years to polish your job-hunting skills. You'll be spared a crappy post-undergrad entry-level position. And you'll look like a whiz kid.
Opionions vary but I went back after 2 years. I am still young and felt I went back before the 'other' parts of life took over. I will post my update when the job search rolls around...should be interesting to see what kinds of jobs I am offered and not offered.

Yeah agree 1000% on Excel and I will be spending a lot of my summer off working on those intangibles.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:23 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Personal update: it's been pretty much agreed that I'm going to take over as manager of the department when my boss leaves. I'm kind of excited, more than a little trepidatious, but glad to have avoided the other scenario I alluded to on another thread. The person who would have the best chance other than me just didn't seem motivated enough to be an ideal manager (nice guy though). I had a conversation with him and before I could finish my second sentence he said with great relief, "I think you'd be a great manager, I like that scenario a lot!". So now I guess I'm a corporate climber....
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 06:03 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Personal update: it's been pretty much agreed that I'm going to take over as manager of the department when my boss leaves.* So now I guess I'm a corporate climber...
So, Laurence, does this mean that you have to go back and edit your "Stupid #&%!!$% Job!!!" post?

Which Skywalker are you-- Anakin or Luke?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 06:09 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, well, until I see the money, the post subject still stands! He doesn't retire for a year. They are plenty happy to see me take on more responsibility, including managing the group. They have every confidence in my ability.....raise, uh, oh yeah, we'll get back to you! But if I get a couple years experience being manager and I'm not happy with what they've done for me, I'll be able to write my own check elsewhere.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote