Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-24-2010, 04:38 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
I am in a typical middle management job at mega corp. The profession of working in Corporate America got really boring and tired for me about 2 years ago. At 42 I know feel trapped because I make too much to start over in a career or profession that I would really enjoy. I feel like I just have to gut it out for another 8 years when hopefully I can FIRE.

I work for the Director or head guy in my field (IT) in our division. He plans to work for 10 more years which is more than I do, so it is hard to get motivated. I literally have ZERO promotion opportunities at this company. I have managers working for me that have managers working for them. So I really have very little day to day to deal with. I mainly set strategic priorities, monitor progress on major projects and surf the Internet! My problem is not with my company and position, it is with me. At 42 I have realized I pursued a career for purposes of making an income and now the money means a whole lot less than it did when I was 26. If I could turn back the clock I would choose a very different career path.

The smart thing to do would be to leave my current company and get a better paying job in my profession so as to accelerate FIRE. However, I am not motivated enough to do that. I am too comfortable here and willing to just "do my time" now with the little effort it requires. At this point just looking forward to FIRE at 50 so I can begin living my life again.
What do you do?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2010, 04:39 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

How much do all you guys that get paid "really well", actually make?
Are we talking $100K+ but <$150K?

Sometimes I wish I could just have a "normal" job like what all you guys here are saying is really boring and easy, lol and take a pay cut from where I am now.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:06 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, I'm a gov't schlep, so almost at $80K. I guess it's all relative. This is the most I've ever made, so I have nothing to compare it to. I do get jealous when I hear $150K+ tho!
Old 02-24-2010, 07:09 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill View Post
Well, I'm a gov't schlep, so almost at $80K. I guess it's all relative. This is the most I've ever made, so I have nothing to compare it to. I do get jealous when I hear $150K+ tho!
Ditto on salary and in govt sector, pre-FIRE.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:11 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by accountingsucks View Post
Just wondering if any others are also really bored at their job. My job is in accounting and is pretty busy during the first week of the month. For weeks 2-4 there is not a tremendous amount to do. Sure, stuff comes up occasionally that is urgent but I haven't felt really stressed about anything in about a year.
Same for me only the second half of the month was boring. And from Dec-Mar, I was always busy at my company due to year end work and auditors bugging me. But I have been bored free for almost 3 years now.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:45 PM   #26

Not me. My job is pretty much non-stop and exhausting. I barely have time to run to the restroom between clients. And if the caseload runs low, you get sent home.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:06 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Any $1 that one makes while twiddling thumbs is $1 too much in my view, although I understand that downtime is sometimes built-in to some jobs.

I had been reasonably paid in my megacorp job, but always had things to keep busy on. When I complained about boredom, it was caused by 1) the bureaucracy that made me do non-productive work, and 2) I was getting tired of the projects I worked on and wanted to explore something entirely different. I could never say that they had no work for me, and I had to spend the time to surf the Net. There was also no widespread Internet back then.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:19 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasm View Post
How much do all you guys that get paid "really well", actually make?
Are we talking $100K+ but <$150K?

Sometimes I wish I could just have a "normal" job like what all you guys here are saying is really boring and easy, lol and take a pay cut from where I am now.
I"m the OP - About 120 salary and then another 10 or so in bonus and I'm 33.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:19 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Surfing the net at my job would have meant immediate dismissal.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:12 PM   #30

I think boredom is not a problem, but being bored and having to look busy is because most reasonably smart and resourceful people will find something productive to do if they are allowed to. For example, my big boss got into a pissing contest with his boss back in 2008, so our group was taken off a project on which we worked very, very hard. For the next 4 months, most of the group came in late, left early, and spent much time surfing the web. I couldn't see such a golden opportunity go by, so I sat at my desk and read the CFA level 2 exam whenever I could. Guess who got crap, the people who sat around and read Gizmodo or Cnet for their next cell phone purchase, or the guy who was actually studying for his job as a financial analyst?

Now my job is 80% virtual, I have every incentive to finish at a reasonable hour and use a couple of hours everyday to learn more about software engineering, finance, or project management. Am I bored, ever? Hardly. In fact, I have so many ideas and things I want to pursue, I can hardly find the time to do them all.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:29 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

For all of us who have not enough work to do to fill our time at work, have we found the alternative to retiring - slowing down, working smarter, not harder and still being paid? We could look at this period as transitioning to retiring and just enjoy it. It may not last long.... Am sure we would remember this time fondly when we are truly retired :-)
Old 02-24-2010, 10:06 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

The longest I have ever lasted at an employer is 3.5 years. The main reason I have moved on is boredom. Somehow I now find myself in the midst of a giant bureaucracy where form is far more important than content. I should go through the place like a hot knife through butter. Insted I am plotting my escape.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:08 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
For all of us who have not enough work to do to fill our time at work, have we found the alternative to retiring - slowing down, working smarter, not harder and still being paid? We could look at this period as transitioning to retiring and just enjoy it. It may not last long.... Am sure we would remember this time fondly when we are truly retired :-)

I don't know about the rest of you, but I find it hard to do so. Guess it is A personality traits, but if you tell me to do something and pay/incent me to do so, it will be DONE. Dinging me because I used the wrong font in my write up of how it was done means I will mentally commit murder at least three times a hour day.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:17 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I have periods where I'm really bored and unmotivated by my job. I'm at that point again right now. Something eventually snaps me out of it, like maybe a new project or just a couple of interesting customer problems to solve. Seems like it's been going on for awhile now. I just picked back up on a mini-project I last worked on in September, and while I have had some higher priority stuff take precedence, I've had a lot of open time in between where I could've knocked it out. I resolved this week to complete it just to try to get out of the rut.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:38 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

My mindset at work is either, "I love this job, it's the greatest thing ever, I'm so lucky, gotta run, run, keep up, move move!" and "Oh my God! I'm so stressed! How can I get this all done!" Mostly the former, so I count myself lucky. I work in a shop full of super smart engineers where I am not one. I'm the computer security manager and I get to play with new toys and technology, and then assign one of my guys to implement. My boss is the Director of Security and understands everything about it except computers. Our agreement is I make sure the computer security side is on lock and he'll handle the rest. My Masters is in Comp. Info Systems Security so it's really something I find interesting. So most of the the time I play Dr. Watson to the engineers Sherlock Holmes, laugh at their jokes about the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle etc. Many days I'm running around feeling overwhelmed, however, and boredom sounds lovely.

I have to say, today I came home for lunch and found out I'm the sucker. DW and the nanny (who is a close friend of many years) were chatting and laughing while the four kids (her two and our two) were playing in the sunlit backyard. They were doing make your own pizza for lunch. It was one of the Nanny's girls birthday so we surprised her with cupcakes and presents and balloons. I am at peace with my career and work environment, but I claim (and DW freely admits) she got the better end of the deal! I can't wait for retirement!
Old 02-24-2010, 11:57 PM   #36

If I may, I think this was part of your first post.
Quote:
I am 30 and a designated accountant up here in Canada. My goal is to retire at 45. Essentially I do not like the profession I am in or most of the people in it. 60 hour work weeks are considered "normal" and the people I work with really don't seem to have any lives outside of work and I have worked at 4 different places so I have decided that this profession attracts the kind of people I do not want to be around.
So, what happened? You've gone from 60 hour weeks to .....
Quote:
Just wondering if any others are also really bored at their job. My job is in accounting and is pretty busy during the first week of the month. For weeks 2-4 there is not a tremendous amount to do. Sure, stuff comes up occasionally that is urgent but I haven't felt really stressed about anything in about a year.
Maybe not so much stress, something changed since your first post?

Quote:
I'm torn because I make excellent $ at this job (although in my profession getting a high paid job is not a problem) with no stress and a 40 hour work week.
WADR, I know several people with either a CA or CMA who do not make a lot of money. Most like their jobs.

I don't know what accounting designation you have, but if it is a CA, you can probably enter many fields. A CMA is not that different. Find something you like. You are going to me working for many years (unless daddy warbucks dies and sets you up). Better to find something you like (even Walmart Greeter is not out of the question), than to spend 40 years hating your job. A CA or CMA has lots of opportunities do do things other than "counting beans". Get out there and do it. You are not the first person to enter a field they didn't like. You are not required to stay in a field you don't like. Maybe you would like something else?

If you are tied to the big $ of your accounting designation, then quit whining, take the money, and retire ASAP. After all, you are the guy who says "a high paid job is not a problem", get one and ER. Don't whine on the boards.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:55 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

no-whine zone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
. Don't whine on the boards.
errr...no board-whining at all? Or just not while at work?

If the forum didn't allow a reasonable amount of "whining," it wouldn't be as useful IMHO. Often enough, I find myself thinking, "Yeah! Somebody else is annoyed about XYZ, too. Maybe I'm normal, after all ".....and when I get tired of the topic, I just stop reading.

For the record, I am not at work now, and have never posted from work although I sometimes get bored. Hey, they're giving me a desk, telephones, high-speed computer, free heat/cooling/toilet paper....what's to keep me from generating useful activities within the boundaries of my employer's regulations, and my performance contract? I've found there is always something to do at work - coming up with a new way to organize tasks or information, going back to a previous task to see if something needs to be updated, creating an oral presentation about my task, etc. (In fact, sometimes I get so interested in my self-generated activities, I don't want to go back to the regular work!)

Amethyst
Old 02-26-2010, 12:49 PM   #38

I used a lot of my free time over the years to get my MBA and multiple IT certs. But, they are proving pointless in gov't service. None of my technical qualifications are taken into account during the job selection process. There is never a column in the decision matrix for education, certification, etc.

But, I like taking tests, so will probably start the Windows 7 IT cert track.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:03 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

When I get bored I usually go back to doing work while at work.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:26 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
When I get bored I usually go back to doing work while at work.