Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Anyone in the age group of 30-39?
Old 08-06-2006, 11:19 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm 35. The current plan is to call it quits in March 2009, a couple months shy of my 38th birthday. Depending on how I feel in 2009, I could push it back one more year for added security and flexibility. That assumes my job lasts that long. There is a real possibility my department will go kaput before March 2009. In that case I may downsize and semi-retire somewhat early.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2006, 10:50 PM   #42
Dryer sheet aficionado

I am 37 and plan to retire at 52. Plan is to continue to max out simple IRA and invest after tax profits from my business into a taxable account. Current net worth is about 850k. Have no idea where I will locate when I retire.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:51 PM   #43
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Girl
Hopefully by 55 at the latest (DH is 36 and I'm 34).

We currently max out our retirement plans and also save an additional $3,500/month in taxable accounts (current balance about $600K between retirement and taxable accounts).* Our net worth broke the magical psychological barrier of $1 million a few months ago (whoo hoo!) and is currently about $1.1 million (includes the house).

We live in Calgary and we plan on staying here.* We'll most likely downsize and travel in the winter to warmer climates.
Wow! I really impressed...I'm in my early 30s as well and it looks like I have some work to do to reach your level.

On a side note - how much does the value of your house factor into when you retire? I know that Calgary and Edmonton house prices are high now (Calgary moreso I think) - will a drop in prices affect you much? I'm kind of in the same boat in terms of housing and am just wondering how other consider it in their ER plans.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:08 PM   #44
Confused about dryer sheets

My wife (40) and I (39) live in Wellington, New Zealand. We own our own house with no mortgage and have about NZ$400k saved in retirement savings.

My wife decided to return to study early childhood teaching 2 years ago, she has two years to go. Once she has finished we plan to move to Hawkes Bay, which is a beautiful wine region on the East Coast of the North Island.

The long term plan is to open a childcare centre with my wife as head teacher and for me to run the administration and business. I don't plan to do any other work so I guess I will be semi retired at that point - that's if I don't get bored.

We have purchased a piece of beach front land further up the coast and plan to build a beach house there so that will keep me occupied for a couple of years anyway.

All going well we will both retire fully in our mid fifties - I don't know what we would do with ourselves all day before then - our kids should be leaving home about then.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:27 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Eh, you would thank me for setting you up with high velocity lead projectiles. High maintenance is putting it lightly.* She's six feet tall and pretty rockin' (it's my wife's cousin, not mine, so I'm allowed to say that), but she's a single mom (to a cute little girl a little older than Tori), negative net worth, can't settle on a career path in her late 20's.
....but she really likes older men!
Sounds perfect for me.........I'm 6'3".............but I don't think she and my wife would hit it off..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 04:49 PM   #46

Hubby is 39 and I'm 37. NW is approx $600k includes the equities of homes. I plan to work PT next year and eventually concentrate on RE business which I really enjoy and spend more time with our 2 kids.* Our plan is to stop working in 2018 - 12 years - hopefully one kid out of college.* I enjoy business/making money so I don't know how I can stop working?
As far as retirement area, I plan to stay in California where all my loved ones are.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:24 AM   #47
Dryer sheet wannabe

I am 35 (single) with a net worth of 770k minus home equity.* If I add in Home Equity I am about 890k.* I don't save aggressively as a lot of you, but I manage to put away about 1700 per month across my 401k, Roth IRA and after Tax Saving.* With matching funds and profit sharing my company puts about 10k a year away for me.

My plan is to quit current gig in in another 4 years or so.* At that time I would like to work in another field or potentially flip a couple of houes a year for my expenses.* I live in CA so until my townhome is paid off I wouldn't consider myself "retired".* I have been kicking around the idea of buying a place in Idaho for the summers and wintering in CA...still very much up in the air.* If start flipping houses will probably be out of state.* My plan for benefits is to have cash flow rentals to pay for benefits.

Old 09-01-2006, 11:47 AM   #48
Dryer sheet wannabe

32, DW is 31. DW has not worked since Feb. 1/05 and may not return to the workforce.

I plan to be semi-retired in 3 years and have the option to fully retire in 6 yrs at 38yrs old.

I can only do this because I own 9 rental units which will be fully paid in 6 years.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:49 AM   #49
Dryer sheet wannabe

I should add that I do not have a mortgage or any debts, except for the rental properties.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:27 PM   #50
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hello there,

DW is 30 and me 31. Plan to ER at no later than 50 if we don't have kids. Our net worth is conservatively estimate at $330K with the current house equity. We are on track to increase our net worth to $500K in 5 years and $1M+ in the next 10-15 years. We have no kids for now and are planning for one so may be that'll push us back to 55 at the very latest, but that's still not too bad.

For those with $1M+ in net worth and are in this age group, Wow, congrats! That's a great milestone to achieve.

Duke
Old 09-04-2006, 01:20 AM   #51

We are 33 this year, two kids, one more on the way very shortly. NW at 225K inculdes three college savings plans. Currently saving 37% of pre-tax for all needs, not just retirement. Don't have a house or mortgage (in the military). Would like to call it quits about 50 and head to the woods, enjoy nature and a tranquil lifestyle spending time working with worthy causes.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:48 AM   #52
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'm 35 and DW is 34. We plan to fire around 40 or so; we aim to be bare bones FI in about a year. NW including home about $900k. A bit more than $500k in investments. We're relying more on savings than returns, but the market will no doubt impact our plans. We'll move when we FIRE.

I'll add that as we've started to make more progress to our goal, work doesn't seem as bad. If that continues, perhaps we'll build a bigger cushion - but not too much.

Old 09-10-2006, 07:55 PM   #53
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm 38, DH is 42.* Net worth is ~ $500K (includes ~ $70K in home equity, rest is in 401K's, Roth IRA's, taxable accounts, and CD's).*

We'd love to retire in about 8 years.* 1.5M is our target.* Right now we are putting away around $50K per year.*

Where to live?* that is the BIG question for us.* We've thought about retiring abroad to live cheaper.* We've thought about buying a lake property now, renting it and retiring into it later.* Tossing lots of ideas around but can't seem to decide.*

The other big question is of course how to cover health care premiums...not truly knowing what they will be by the time we are 50.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 05:37 AM   #54
Dryer sheet wannabe

I am 30yo, single man in east Asia. My net asset is around USD90K and estimate to increase USD15K-20K every year.
It is much cheaper to live in Asia. My target ER age is 41yo and I plan to move to China to learn Chinese traditional medicine with USD15K annual expense. :
Old 09-15-2006, 02:50 PM   #55

Wow, you guys are really amazing.
I'm just curious how many of you actually have kids because I'm finding that starting a new family will really cut into the amount that I can save.
Mostly this will be due to my wife staying at home to raise the kids.

rayakasun
Old 09-22-2006, 04:31 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayakasun
I'm just curious how many of you actually have kids because I'm finding that starting a new family will really cut into the amount that I can save.

rayakasun
Nope, no children here.* Decided not to have kids a few years back.* Definitely makes it easier to save $$$.

Lorraine

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 04:36 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
We had our daughter when I was 32 and spouse was 31.

She'll be 14 next month, and in terms of lost sleep we're both around 175 years old. But at least she only wakes us up about once a month now.

Whether you start a new family or keep your current one, you probably shouldn't base your child-bearing decisions on how it'll affect your ER. Not being able to afford a kid is one thing, but not wanting to delay your ER is quite another.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:14 PM   #58

I'm 34, wife is 32.* *Our net worth is $250K (including home equity and all loans).

I plan to retire along with my wife at 58 when i'm eligible for full Federal FERS retirement.* I'm saving currently approximately 24K/year specifically for retirement funnelled into maxing Roth IRAs as well as my TSP (currently set at 18% of gross plus 5% match on top of that).* We're double income, with one kid.* *I'm a GS-12 biologist (hoping to be GS-13 in a month), and my wife is a licensed certified social worker.

Our jobs are relatively low hours/stress so i'm not in such a hurry to retire early.* I have always been fasciniated by the power of saving and compounded growth though, and the tremendous opportunities afforded by retirement vehicles.* Though i consider myself an optimist, I do appreciate the peace of mind that comes from saving above the typical American levels.

We plan on retiring in Arkansas where my extended family resides.

Azanon
Old 09-22-2006, 05:49 PM   #59
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Sailors here. Second kid on the way. The savings went down due to DW working only part time and paying for child care. We still manage to save probably around $50k a year (we probably took a $25k "hit" with the first child, we'll see how much more we spent on two).
Old 09-22-2006, 11:46 PM   #60
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

rayakasun
Have a daughter that's almost 6 months old and plan on having one more down the road. Even with the new addition we manage to save quite a bit every month (refer to my original post). Having her was well worth it even if it does delay our retirement