Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

anyone read "dont retire,rewire"
Old 07-17-2005, 03:36 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

anyone read "dont retire,rewire"

any opinions on book 'dont retire,rewire' by jerri sadler,thanks Jeff
jakester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: anyone read "dont retire,rewire"
Old 07-17-2005, 05:00 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

no, never heard of it. does it teach you how to go back to school to become an electrician?

I have a feeling that I would be better of retiring, I bet.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:03 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakester
any opinions on book 'dont retire,rewire' by jerri sadler
I see that Business Week mentions it in their retirement issue (on newstands now!) in an article about people who just can't face retirement.

While there will always be people who need a book like this, I don't think that I'm one of them. I do know that there are too many other books that need my attention...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 10:27 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Nords, can I ask, what books would those be?
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Other ER reading.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:15 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Other ER reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S.
Nords, can I ask, what books would those be?
Sure you can ask, but I'm not sure which answer you want.

I've been ER'd three years and I'm pretty confident that I don't need to "rewire". If you're asking about ER books then my favorites are Zelinski's "How to Retire" along with Terhorst's "Cashing in on the American Dream", Po Bronson's "What Should I DO With My Life", Marc Freedman's "Prime Time", and Stanley's "Millionaire" books (all three of 'em!). I also liked Joe Dominguez' "Your Money Or Your Life" but the end of the story is too sad.

Other examples of books I'd rather read (than be rewired) are all over this board. Use the "Advanced Search" feature to look for my posts with the word "book" in them.

If you're wondering what's on my endtable right now it's:
How to Parlay Your IRA (Ed Slott),
High Probability Trading (Marcel Link),
Market Forces (Richard K. Morgan-- talk about career burnout!!),
Rubicon (Tom Holland),
Stretching Scientifically (Thomas Kurz, ouch), and
Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (Betty Edwards).
Most of those are library books that were on my "reserve" list. I'm still waiting on:
A Salty Piece of Land (Jimmy Buffett, of all people),
The Black Angel (John Connolly),
It's Not Funny If I Have To Explain It (Dilbert/Scott Adams),
Appaloosa (Robert B. Parker),
The Closers (Michael Connelly), and
eBay for Dummies (Marsha Collier). I'm also #159 on Hawaii's list for the new Harry Potter novel...

If you're wondering what's on my reading list, that's a nine-page Word document. It used to be three pages when I was working for a living and I used to fantasize about finishing the list when I retired. I don't think it's going to get any smaller, but I'll post it if you want me to!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 07-18-2005, 07:35 PM   #6

Hey, this is fun.

Waiting for me now are:

Cassel's Sports Quotations
The Custer Story
The Reno Court of Inquiry
Custer
The Custer Reader

I read little fiction and even less about finances or retirement
issues. After Hemingway and Ayn Rand the fiction falls to almost
zero.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 08:11 PM   #7

I've only been ER'd for less than 3 weeks but I've read more these past 3 weeks than I have in the past 5 years. I'm loving it. I can actually finish the 7 day books (new releases) in 7 days. Usually I borrow a 7 day book and return it 1/2 read. Then I try to borrow it again a few months later and remember where I was...

Now I need to upgrade my CD collection or find a really good Jazz station. I listen to the music station on DirecTV while I read.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 10:32 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, I read the book (to get back to the OP - grin).

I think that for some people the options it presents can be a segue between full time job from hell and full time retirement.

I enjoyed the section on identifying your "motivators" - and I couldn't help thinking that those motivators can all be satisfied outside the work environment.

It seemed to me that the book's target audience was Baby Boomers who have expressed a desire to continue working in some way (according to those various polls that we see now and again), but who don't necessarily like the job they currently have. Which means I'm not in the target market at all (missed the Baby Boom by a few years, mostly enjoy the job I have, and planning to ER by about age 42), so it didn't speak to me as much as it might have.
peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 05:02 PM   #9

Peggy said in part: "It seemed to me that the book's target audience was Baby Boomers who have expressed a desire to continue working in some way (according to those various polls that we see now and again), but who don't necessarily like the job they currently have."

I'm the opposite. I am eager to retire but happen to have a job I like!
Old 07-20-2005, 07:06 PM   #10

Yes, I am posting after my last post but the book just arrived in the mail from Powells Books and after a brief glance my wife really likes it. I like "Get A Life" more from a brief skim. It seems to have embedded in it the idea (Which I have also read in William Bernstien) that everyone "needs" to work or unhappiness and depression set in. I think that is true for a lot of folks, my Dad wad that way, had to work.
But this board does have some folks who march to a different drum. I think a person has to have a deep sense of themselves in order to sucessfully retire as it conflicts with societal norms .
Old 07-20-2005, 07:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers
Yes, I am posting after my last post but the book just arrived in the mail from Powells Books and after a brief glance my wife really likes it. I like "Get A Life" more from a brief skim. It seems to have embedded in it the idea (Which I have also read in William Bernstien) that everyone "needs" to work or unhappiness and depression set in. I think that is true for a lot of folks, my Dad wad that way, had to work.
But this board does have some folks who march to a different drum. I think a person has to have a deep sense of themselves in order to sucessfully retire as it conflicts with societal norms .
I think it is important to have lots of interests. That way, as activities drop off
you will still have plenty to fill your time. In my case, I don't see how I could ever live long enough to get around to everything on my list.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 07:45 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers
It seems to have embedded in it the idea (Which I have also read in William Bernstien) that everyone "needs" to work or unhappiness and depression set in. I think that is true for a lot of folks, my Dad wad that way, had to work.
I think that if Bernstein had ever wanted to retire he would have stuck to doctoring instead of writing books. He's a guy who'll never turn it off, although he could learn to speak for himself on this issue...

Re: Other ER reading.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
).
Most of those are library books that were on my "reserve" list. I'm still waiting on:

A Salty Piece of Land (Jimmy Buffett, of all people),
Love JB, but this is a terrible read. I wanted to finish it, but no could do.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 09:34 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
Love JB, but this is a terrible read.* I wanted to finish it, but no could do.
Bummer. I liked his Pirate at 50 book...