Join Early Retirement Today

Apartment Hunting
Old 03-20-2007, 11:00 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Apartment Hunting

My past apartment hunting ventures have mainly used the local apartment magazines (Apt Guide and Apts For Rent) aided by internet for floor plans and driving around the area of other apartments.

I'm now searching in an area I'm fairly familiar with and notice a lot of apartment complexes aren't represented in the mags or online. And while the online info is good the search tools suck. Even each magazine has plusses and minuses for searching, so I tend to sit at the PC using each book and the aforementioned magazines' sites to decide where to drive to and look around.

Has anyone found a better way to apartment hunt? I'd like to also be able to find just the townhome/loft styles for comparison, but I haven't found a workable way to do that.

While typing this I was thinking what I really want is a localized map with all the apartments in it, then thought I should try Google Maps. I just tried this, and the early results are quite promising.

EDIT: The Google search is still missing some apartments I know exist but seems to have more easy-to-locate results than the other methods I've tried so far.

EDIT 2: Just noticed that Google Maps search is limited to 10 results per page, and the apartments that I thought were missing were on a different page of the results.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Apartment Hunting
Old 03-20-2007, 11:05 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yahoo - Real Estate - Apartments for Rent...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:42 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Go to local churches/synagogs and ask if they know of anything
Old 03-20-2007, 11:46 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

try www.housingmaps.com for a map of housing for rent/sale on CraigsList

http://www.apartmentratings.com/ is also a great resource.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:08 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Buy a copy of the local paper. Look under Apartments for Rent in the classified. Been my best source. Also put a sign in the window with my phone ##. This helps let the neighbors know (in case they have family in need).
Old 03-20-2007, 07:26 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to vvsonikvv

craigslist. it's been the greatest thing for me in apts, real estate, cars, furniture, computers, everything. give it a shot.
vvsonikvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:17 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvsonikvv
craigslist. it's been the greatest thing for me in apts, real estate, cars, furniture, computers, everything. give it a shot.
It's not everywhere and it takes a few months to ramp up, but we've learned to check every Oahu Craigslist post every day to see what possessions we need to be buying.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:06 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

When I go apartment hunting, I use a 155mm howitzer.

I would check around and see if there are any deals, like the first month rent free, depending on the market. Or look for signs with balloons outside the complex and see what sort of deal they can offer you.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:13 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to vvsonikvv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
It's not everywhere and it takes a few months to ramp up, but we've learned to check every Oahu Craigslist post every day to see what possessions we need to be buying.
wow... I did take that for granted. I've lived in 2 big cities and 1 smaller suburb and it was second nature to me when I moved to DC...

I hope it gets to where you are, because the concept is great.

Haha.. I do the same, I always browse what's on craigslist to see what one man's trash could be my treasure.

I would read craigslist every day and pick out a bunch of apts/roomates and visit them after work or on the weekends.. It was almost like speed dating (which i've never done so i dont really know how it works). But i'd visit like 30-40 roommates in a few weeks and I decide which place I want to go... If i don't find anything I keep waiting.

I was looking for roommates so that has more choices than just apts for rent. But try yahoo or rent.com or the local papers.
vvsonikvv is offline   Reply With Quote