Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-25-2015, 09:12 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis65 View Post
I had a youngish employee at the top of the non-management pay range tell that she enjoyed being a subject matter expert, fully responsible for important files, and able to leave on time to get to the rowing club. She had no interest in moving into management, but wanted to move around within the government to get different experiences and become better at what she does.
This is similar to the tack I've taken. I state my clear expectations to remain on the technical track, and divert suspicion of "not being ambitious/motivated enough" by emphasizing that I'd like to do an informal rotation of the different functions that my type of engineer performs in my industry. Spending a few years each in 4 different areas eats up a lot of time!
Maenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2015, 02:20 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I like the idea of rotating through various functions and/or departments, although I didn't do much of this myself. I also suggest arranging for external training and seminars. This can help refresh your career and make you look motivated. Any excuse to get out of the normal routine helps!
FreeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 02:46 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pihwoah View Post

My career goal is to hit $100k salary which in accounting would put me at a supervisor or manager level, so I wouldn't have to be a director, VP, etc. I started at $30k a few years back so it is a goal I know I can obtain if I am willing to take it.
Totally doable. I started my IT career in 2007 earning $34,000/yr , I went from framing houses to testing software...my back was getting sore from the manual labor of framing.

Fast forward to today, best decision I ever made...now only 8 years later I am earning six figures. It was always my goal to hit this mark at 35 yrs old (I did it a year early so I guess its good to have goals).

Increasing salary that much comes with a trade-off, I had to jump jobs more often than one might like, leaving 6 different companies for bigger pay raises but that also gave me a much more diverse set of skills than my peers in the same group. I have typically been one of the younger folks on my team.

I am not a manager, I just gained enough experience to be classified as a Sr / Lead resource which allows me to demand a much higher pay than my peers. Its easy for me to ask for a higher salary knowing I have a more diverse set of skills and experience. I was never afraid to learn anything new unless it meant sacrificing my work/life balance and that is how I continue to approach my career.

I have another inherint and debatable advantage...I was never saddled with college debt, I do not have a degree, I have SOME COLLEGE, but all of those courses and books were paid out of pocket. This allowed me to take risks my peers simply could not afford to do (like up and moving to an island).
Old 07-30-2015, 02:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
If the company is built around promotions and advancement (most big ones are), find another company as soon as you start getting out of step (in the top half or so age wise for your role).

Otherwise, stay. Mid-sized companies that grow slowly or are steady are your best bet. They love people who are good at their job and keep doing it.
Lol, I can relate to this and thankfully learned this less than 8 years into my career. I feel like the Three Bears, Mama Bear (the start-up)'s soup was too small, Papa Bear's (the megaCorp) soup was too big, but Baby Bear's (mid size company) was juuust right.