Join Early Retirement Today

Re: are you FI or at least half way there and has your attitude changed toward w
Old 11-02-2006, 05:10 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Re: are you FI or at least half way there and has your attitude changed toward w

I am fully FI but working. Semi-planning to ER in the spring. Since becoming FI, my attitude at work stinks. I keep thing 'why am I putting up with this?', then i wonder 'why are they putting up with me?'. The reason: expecting largest annual bonus of my working life in February.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: are you FI or at least half way there and has your attitude changed toward work?
Old 11-02-2006, 05:46 PM   #22

Re: are you FI or at least half way there and has your attitude changed toward work?

With my current net worth, about 50% there.

Add in 99.999% surety end-of-year compensation packages: 80-90% there, depending on what exact level of living I would want, and whom I end up marrying.

It's actually been a double-edged sword: I am more 'tolerable' of the bovine excrement, but at the same time, find myself anxiously awaiting that moment when I can say 'good bye' to everyone and do whatever the hell I want....

The biggest problem is that my boss (who, unfortunately for me, is also my father) pleaded and begged me to stay on-board to do a certain task on my current project(until about Jan-Feb 2007)...then, he started acting like I would stay until the project would be done (April 2008). If it weren't for his pleading, I'd have a new job by now, and would probably be happier/more interested in what I'm doing. The stress is still there, but simply knowing that it's a matter of time and I have a whole ton of time waiting for me in the near future helps abide by it just as much as the fact that I'm almost FIREd.

But, we'll see how it goes. I will - in all probability - stay until Feb/Mar 2008, at which point I'd anticipate being 90%+ FIREd (and hopefully will have found the woman that I will propose to).

Old 11-02-2006, 06:02 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

FI this spring, DH has to work three more years to get Health Insurance and he wants his full pension as well. I work contracting about three days a week where I used to work. I originally planned to quit but they begged me and gave me a plum assignment and are very nice to me. Love the money, they let me flex time and I can say whatever I want. I dress kinda like a bum now, forgot what stockings or dress shoes were, and they don't give me hard time. I do like padding the accounts a bit more. We would cutting it a little close if we both were out of work (early fifties).
DH is also very much more relaxed. If he can't make the last three years his pension will be significantly less, and we won't have the health insurance, but we could survive. He gets many weeks off a year so we are planning some nice vacations while waiting for full retirement.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:05 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddy the Turbo Beagle
My attitude has changed with increasing net worth.
Me too.

We used to have students report to our training command from other areas like San Diego and even Norfolk. As junior enlisted they wouldn't always have a government credit card (or indeed any credit card) and they wouldn't have enough experience to know to get advance per diem on their travel orders. They'd essentially show up in the classroom and say "The barracks is full and my hotel costs $130/night. I don't have any money for food, I don't have a rental car, and I need to have my orders changed to allow me a hotel. My boat just deployed for six months. What should I do?"

It used to mean that they'd miss the first three days of a three-week class while we shuttled back & forth between a personnel support detachment and a submarine support command, getting a barracks room, endorsing this and modifying that, getting advance per diem, blah blah blah. Publicize & educate as much as we could, it'd still happen twice a year and the submarine would not be happy if they spent thousands of travel dollars for their guy to fail the course.

After six years in training commands I was pretty sure it wouldn't get fixed by the training system, but FI gave us the means to invoke the 11th Law of the Navy. Next time a penniless student showed up I gave the chief ten $20 bills in an official envelope and told him to use the cash for the sailor to get what he needed (and to stay in class as much as possible) until the bureaucracy caught up with a travel advance. A couple weeks later I got the $200 back and it made a few more round trips over the next couple years.

The system worked fine until the chiefs started bragging to their shipmates in other departments about their "emergency travel fund" and everyone wanted to know how to do it.

FI also made it easier to sit through all the "Motivate yourself for your next career!" talks at our mandatory "retirement" training transition assistance planning.

Finally, I think FI helps you pay attention to what's more important to you-- the good things about work, or the distractors that keep work from being more enjoyable.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:06 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm still relatively far away from FI at about 130k net worth, but I've had the opposite reaction as most of the people here. I actually kind of feel like ... I could be accomplishing something if only I wasn't still stuck working for a living. I'm getting more and more tempted to start my own business or something, than just wait another 8 years for my money to grow enough.

In other words, the closer I get, the more I know this is realistic and not a pipe-dream, and the harder it is to wait for. It's like a kid counting down the days until Christmas. I'm an INTJ and very independent, so I would love the freedom to work on and research what I want without it having to be financially viable or being at the mercy of a company to allow me the opportunity.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:30 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Reaching FI has allowed me to put up with the BS at work. Things that used to bother me, no longer do. Knowing that I can walk out the door on my terms and still make it easily in ER, has taken a load off my shoulders.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:58 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
My response to increasing net worth is a bit different. I have become far less tolerant of BS and far more willing/able to take higher risk, higher reward jobs.
Brewer
Higher reward I can see but how do you define higher risk?
PN
Old 11-03-2006, 01:05 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel9
Reaching FI has allowed me to put up with the BS at work. Things that used to bother me, no longer do. Knowing that I can walk out the door on my terms and still make it easily in ER, has taken a load off my shoulders.
I would have said the same thing for me. What used to aggravate me doesn't much any more. I let the others get on the tread mill. I don't feel I have to show off my expertise since my outlook is a lot shorter now so career isless of a concern. Also I used to stree about economic condition and possible layoffs. Not any more.
Well anyway now I am an incorporated consultant so I don't need to feel quite part of the "team" anymore. (And if necessary I can loudly voice that I am not and avoid some of the more useless meetings. )
Old 11-03-2006, 01:09 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by perinova
Brewer
Higher reward I can see but how do you define higher risk?
PN
I went from working at a place famed for underpaying but just about never laying anyone off (and with a bbulletproof business) to working for a 10 person outfit undergoing an ownership transition.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 03:29 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._johngalt
Stress and worry will kill you Spanky. Remember, in the long run we're
all roadkill. That's always been a comfort to me.

JG
JG,
You are right - in the end, it really does not matter. Meanwhile, enjoy the journey.
Spanky
Old 11-03-2006, 08:56 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
I went from working at a place famed for underpaying but just about never laying anyone off (and with a bbulletproof business) to working for a 10 person outfit undergoing an ownership transition.
OK for a while I thought you became a sky diving instructing or something of the sort.
Yes small outfit are probably a lot more unstable. I would try that for a better financial reward too but they don't always pay more start-ups even have a financial risk/reward system with stock options in lieu of higher salary.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:14 PM   #32
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddy the Turbo Beagle

I think maybe people cause their own cages and need to change the way they think...I have learned to let the small stuff not be a big deal
My favorite singer once said: "You gotta get to know your cage, stress points, corrosive age. The keeper's hours throughout the day; his habits, weaknesses and ways."

Old 11-06-2006, 04:09 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric
My favorite singer once said: "You gotta get to know your cage, stress points, corrosive age. The keeper's hours throughout the day; his habits, weaknesses and ways."

I like that....
Old 11-06-2006, 07:39 PM   #34
Dryer sheet wannabe

Well, I'm not 50% there, but I got the mortgage paid off and a nice little nest egg growing quickly. Even without being 50% there, just knowing that I am not at their mercy, not living payday to payday, makes me much less willing to take any grief from dingbats. Feels great! Life without a mortgage...gotta love it.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:08 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi
I think that although my attitude has changed. It hasnt changed enough to say its taken away my stress. In some ways it makes it worse cause I can see the light at the end of the tunnel . Then I think the bumps may set me back a few or a lot of years.
Rob
Old 11-12-2006, 01:01 PM   #36

I'll be at the half way mark in another 1.5 years. I think what helped me the most was putting an Excel Spreadsheet together to plot my path. I'm two years into the nine year plan.

The spreadsheet lists out how much money is going into which accounts. I've included where to beef up the savings as time goes on. It's amazing how much it has helped me. I don't have to reinvent the wheel every time I get a pay increase.

The other thing is that all my savings is automated except for the Roth.

I wish I could improve my attitude towards work. I don't hate it but I don't get much enjoyment from it anymore. I've been doing IT work for 25 years and the thrill is gone.

-helen