Join Early Retirement Today

are you FI or at least half way there and has your attitude changed toward work?
Old 11-01-2006, 09:59 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

are you FI or at least half way there and has your attitude changed toward work?

Quote:
regarding being financially independent and job satisfaction. I have posted on a number of occassions that once I became FI that my attitude really changed about work. The boss wasn't an a$$hole anymore, the co-workers weren't so bad. The drudgery of work disappeared which was actually quite a revelation for me. So much so that rather than retiring early I am contemplating working on just for "fun" and satisfaction that the work provides.
- from masterblaster in another thread...and thought was worth a new thread...this has been touched on a bit in the past...

My attitude has changed with increasing net worth...I think maybe people cause their own cages and need to change the way they think...I have learned to let the small stuff not be a big deal...I think BMJ has also talked about not letting his work be center of his life, also....another good point.

of course, a toxic job is another matter

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: are you FI or at least half way there and has your attitude changed toward work?
Old 11-01-2006, 10:01 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Re: are you FI or at least half way there and has your attitude changed toward work?

My response to increasing net worth is a bit different. I have become far less tolerant of BS and far more willing/able to take higher risk, higher reward jobs.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 10:32 AM   #3

I'm not half way to FI, but i'm worrying less about the job anyway. Some risks are just too low to put any significant amount of energy worrying about.
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 10:34 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Someone I work with commented on Monday that I was surprisingly relaxed during a recent "crisis" at work. No question that the financial cushion helps.

A couple years ago I took an unpaid three months off. Someone else I work with mentioned that if they took even three weeks off the repo man would be at their door. Just the idea seemed to make them nervious.
bongo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 11:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo2
Someone I work with commented on Monday that I was surprisingly relaxed during a recent "crisis" at work. No question that the financial cushion helps.

A couple years ago I took an unpaid three months off. Someone else I work with mentioned that if they took even three weeks off the repo man would be at their door. Just the idea seemed to make them nervious.
Interesting on yours and Brewer's comments...I always thought it was more about power and control for a lot of folks...esp. the driver types on this forum having side businesses and all of that investment income removes you from worrying about b.s. and land grabs and cant just sit back and take it in as entertainment. Some people just arent interested in playing the games…way for the INTJ to rise above it all

Old 11-01-2006, 12:26 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

DH and I are about halfway to FI, and I find myself relaxing more about money issues as well -- especially since either his or my income can cover our basic expenses (mine with very little cushion, to be sure) and if either one of us lost our jobs, we can continue as we are.

peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 12:53 PM   #7

Interesting topic.

Has there been a poll on this? Something like:

How far are you to FI?

I'm already there
90% there
10% there
What's FI?
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 01:57 PM   #8

Being FI definately made work more enjoyable for me.
More than anything, I believe the realization that I was there because I wanted to be rather than HAD TO BE took a lot of pressure off.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:50 PM   #9

Yup I stopped playing the corporate "games" after FI. Knew I didn't need to fight for another promotion, sooooo every Friday I would wear a Hawaiin luau shirt (had 3 different ). Would only shave prior to customer visits and/or travel. Work became alot more tolerable when it's on your terms.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:23 PM   #10

I'm past the half-way mark and the stress has decreased significantly.

When the general rule is to have 6 to 9 months of living expenses saved, and I have about 25 to 30 years of living expenses saved, it a comfortable feeling.

Money may not buy happiness, but it sure buys comfort.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:22 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yes. But only felt the pressure off when actually became FI. Until then, even when close, still was working full time and under pressure. So my experience was a bit different from those who have gotten half way and felt a relief. I just didn't.
uncledrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 04:35 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I'm still adjusting to having become FI within the past year due to an inheritance. I have basically continued to work as hard as ever, but only because I am enjoying my job. I have actually been more self confident in contract negotiations, knowing that if we could not reach agreement, I have a financial cushion. Amazingly, this has paid off in increased income! And I don't put up with BS any more.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: are you FI or at least half way there and has your attitude changed toward w
Old 11-01-2006, 04:45 PM   #13

Re: are you FI or at least half way there and has your attitude changed toward w

Even though we are FI, we still feel stressed and worry about layoffs. Logic tells us that we should relax, do not tolerate BS, and take more risk. I will ponder on that for a while and change my attitiude accordingly.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:06 PM   #14

Since I have become FI, and getting closer an closer to RE (5 months to go) w**k is a whole lot less stressful, I never even flinch when a so called crisis arises....let somebody else freak out for a change. (you know...delegated authority )

I will NOT put up with anyones BS...including those up the ladder....because frankly my dear, I don't give a d**n anymore!!! Life is too short to give a rat's a**!!! I see a nice sandy beach in my near future! 8) 8) 8)

For the 1st twenty years on the rock-pile, I worried time to time about layoffs. The last 10 I worried from time to time more about being "terminated" than layed off, because I would ocasionally speak a blunt piece of my mind to the purveyors of BS...which, of course they did tend to frown upon!!

Now, with only a VERY short time left....and a sign on my office door that reads "DILLIGAF"....and also one with the current # of days left to go....they just stay away from this "short-timer".....because they KNOW what my attitude is!!!

I still perform my duties with my usual expertise and excellence, which can be seen by my monthly reports and quality assurance and control test results.....I AM a stickler for excellence!!! That's probably the reason I'm tolerated at this point.

Our dept. is kind of like the M*A*S*H 4077th.....me?....think "Hawkeye".....most of the rest?....think "Frank 'ferret-face' Burns"!!!! I've been here only 'cause I've had to be!!! The others....they're just way too serious!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan
Yup I stopped playing the corporate "games" after FI. .......... every Friday I would wear a Hawaiin luau shirt (had 3 different ).
I'm with you all the way!!! 'Cept I have about 10 or 12 of them Hay-Why-Un Flowerdy shirts!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 06:34 PM   #15

Its definatly made work easier for me. The stress is gone because what can they possibly do to me. Ive already told the boss that my timeframe for retirement is somewhere between now, or five years. It just depends on how things go at work. I'm supprized that they are still putting up with me.

Im basically still there just to jack up the net worth alittle more and because the wife needs to put in two more years to be eligible for health benefits.
dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 08:14 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

About 1/2 way there and definitely feeling different about work - like some others, I worry less and feel free to take more risks. The worst case scenario is more acceptable than it ever has been - gets better every day. Have to say this forum has also helped - nice to see so many people making it happen.
Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 04:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
Even though we are FI, we still feel stressed and worry about layoffs. Logic tells us that we should relax, do not tolerate BS, and take more risk. I will ponder on that for a while and change my attitiude accordingly.
Stress and worry will kill you Spanky. Remember, in the long run we're
all roadkill. That's always been a comfort to me.

JG
Old 11-02-2006, 05:32 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

5 months to go but my last 4 is my busy season plus a new guy looking over my shoulder. I'm hoping with the knowledge that the end is near(work that is) that my final few weeks won't be too stressful.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:33 AM   #19

I am well on my way to FI and I can see how it's changed the way I deal with things here. Instead of keeping my mouth shut and not giving an opinion I let it fly, I'm not one to mince words so I say it straight up and of course that doesn't always sit well with everyone. Thankfully I've always been the type that tells it like it is and they've come to accept it and I feel like I can be more like the person I am instead of the "person" they want me to be.

Two of my partners also know I'm debt free and could pretty much walk today if I had to.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 09:31 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Teflon technician...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote