Old 01-11-2007, 09:17 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Re: Asking for raise

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR
"But if you ask for a rise, it's no surprise, that they're giving none away..."

Pink Floyd
no?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2007, 09:18 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh
Maggie, Wow! You have great benefits. USE THEM!!!! as the Board members are advising. You will make yourself more fulfilled AND more marketable at the same time.

This is ALL up to you!
Yes, I am going to use my current employer to gain more knowledge at a local school

Old 01-11-2007, 09:20 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Another question. There is a web class offered on Windows Server. I don't have too much knowledge on that. I know some basics, but wouldn't mind learning more about Active Directory and such.
Do you think that's valuable? No need for this in my job but maybe worth knowing. What do you think?
Old 01-11-2007, 12:22 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

If you aren't using it , or won't be in the near future, you'll probably lose what you learn in the Active Directory class. In addition, I was thrown into Active Directory when we upgraded our servers and managed just fine without any training. If you have nothing better to do, but otherwise not a high priority. Are you looking to not do programming/software engineering?
Old 01-11-2007, 01:05 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
If you aren't using it , or won't be in the near future, you'll probably lose what you learn in the Active Directory class. In addition, I was thrown into Active Directory when we upgraded our servers and managed just fine without any training. If you have nothing better to do, but otherwise not a high priority. Are you looking to not do programming/software engineering?
shoot, I don't know what I am looking for. I guess, I would try anything that is worth having on my resume. That's why I am asking you guys what is worth knowing. I don't seem to know which direction to go.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:46 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieddd
Thanks. There are no opportunites of such nature in my organization and I would hate to just quit and find another job without such benefits as I have now, so I think I will start with taking a UNIX class. Just have to figure out where I can practic all of the UNIX stuff I will learn at school.
If you have a spare computer you can install a free Linux OS, which is nowadays most common Unix platform.
For example from http://www.centos.org/
Even if you don't have a spare computer, you could run Linux OS in a virtual machine on your Windows computer.
If you don't have a dedicated computer available, you could practice at any of the servers offering free Unix shell accounts ( http://www.ductape.net/~mitja/freeunix.shtml )

Good luck,
sailor
Old 01-11-2007, 05:21 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor
If you have a spare computer you can install a free Linux OS, which is nowadays most common Unix platform.

Even if you don't have a spare computer, you could run Linux OS in a virtual machine on your Windows computer.
Linux is not Unix.

Try vmware for virtual machine:
http://www.vmware.com/products/player/
Old 01-11-2007, 06:04 PM   #48

Linux is a free operating system that can run on a UNIX platform. IBM's O/S version for UNIX is AIX. You should learn command line procedures (powerful stuff!) and teach yourself shell scripting. If you know your way around the command line (who needs stinkin GUI?) and can develop scripts, you'll bump up your resume a notch.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:25 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Plus when you are in a meeting and you spew out things like "the path isn't set" and " oh, just ls -ltr" or " read the man page, geez!" you get street cred.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:11 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
Linux is a free operating system that can run on a UNIX platform.
Linux runs on various hardware platforms (not on a Unix platform).
Old 01-11-2007, 07:36 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

OK, I tried many flavors of Linux, and it's no brainer to get around in Linux with a GUI. I want to learn UNIX, command line etc. I am familiar with some DOS so command line is not strange for me. Could I practice my UNIX commands on a Mac (OSX)?
At my current job I will never throw "the path isn't set". First, there isn't a single person at my job who has a single clue about computers, second, these people do not want to know what's going on behind the scenes, they just want to get by with their word processing from day to day and third, we don't have any meetings .
Old 01-11-2007, 07:53 PM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Plus when you are in a meeting and you spew out things like "the path isn't set" and " oh, just ls -ltr" or " read the man page, geez!" you get street cred.
And when someone like cube-rat talks about shell scripts you can say, "I'm Bourne again."
Old 01-11-2007, 07:54 PM   #53

NM
Old 01-11-2007, 07:56 PM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OK, I tried many flavors of Linux, and it's no brainer to get around in Linux with a GUI. I want to learn UNIX, command line etc. I am familiar with some DOS so command line is not strange for me. Could I practice my UNIX commands on a Mac (OSX)?
You can do all of that in OSX. You can also open up a terminal in Linux and learn all the command line shell scripting your heart desires. I can't imagine how anyone could mess around in Linux at all without learning a bit about command line interface.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:41 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

yeah sure a know a little when I open a book and copy commands to get to the GUI interface
Old 01-12-2007, 01:27 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
And when someone like cube-rat talks about shell scripts you can say, "I'm Bourne again."
That one never gets old!
Old 01-12-2007, 02:04 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

OK, so back to asking for raise. I am going to ask for it so I am intending to write a memo outlining what my job description says, outlining the extra work I do and what else should I state on it?
Old 01-12-2007, 04:51 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Maggie,

My two pesos: I don't know your exact situation (obviously), but I would encourage you to show them the results and bottom line impact you've had. Just showing them your job description and comparing it to a list of what you actually do might not set the best "tone." Most people do things that are a lot different than their job description.

You can't argue with results, however. If there are projects you've led or solutions you implemented that resulted in big $ savings or improved processes, focus on that. Then, directly mention that you're hoping your pay might be adjusted in line with that performance.

IMO, I'd focus on getting your resume up to speed and getting it out there. If your skills are as valuable as you think, there should be no problem finding another great opportunity. After 6 years of status quo, you're probably typecast and it would take a counteroffer and holding them over a barrel to get a serious raise. Although that works, it permanently changes things, and is often temporary.

Best of luck.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:01 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisyphus
IMO, I'd focus on getting your resume up to speed and getting it out there. If your skills are as valuable as you think, there should be no problem finding another great opportunity. After 6 years of status quo, you're probably typecast and it would take a counteroffer and holding them over a barrel to get a serious raise. Although that works, it permanently changes things, and is often temporary.
Ditto. Get what you deserve elsewhere and don't bother with any possible counteroffer.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:02 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
First, there isn't a single person at my job who has a single clue about computers, second, these people do not want to know what's going on behind the scenes, they just want to get by with their word processing from day to day and third, we don't have any meetings .
Sounds like great guaranteed lifetime employment. Are you sure you want to risk jeopardizing it over a raise?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote