Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Avoiding the middle-management trap
Old 05-04-2005, 01:59 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I interviewed at a place like that, and when they discovered I didnt have any college education they started hedging on their interest. I decided I didnt want to work for them if how much education I would have received 15 years ago was a major factor.

I made a little north of three billion dollars for the company that said "No college? Considering your experience thats no big deal...must have been tough getting started though, huh?".

Not bad for one of the great unwashed, uneducated masses.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2005, 03:06 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to JonnyM Send a message via Yahoo to JonnyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill
I have come to the conclusion I may be forced to go middle management (manager of computer security) when my boss retires or have someone I'm not too sure of become my boss (great guy, not sure if he'll be the right fit for me). Yeesh.
Been there done that. I took that job in order to protect myself. It would have been helpful if she'd have retired a year sooner, but she seemed to think her retirement take home should be more than her previous working gross. Go figure. Clearly not an ER type. In our scheme of things, it's not literally "management" although it is in effect, as it's about managing people and the projects that I assign them. I'm also "technical" and thanks to nearby Sillycon Valley, our jobs were upgraded somewhat in the late 90's to be somewhat more competitive with the private sector. As I'm public sector, I will never pull down the serious jack on a yearly basis. However our DBP benefit systems puts private sector "figure it out for yourself" plans to shame.

The real beauty of this scenerio is one can wait until just before the end to attain that management job, yet have your entire pension based on the "jack" you made in your highest year, regardless of all those years of performing lesser tasks in less responsible jobs for little money, and therefore not having the opportunity to save significantly on the side.

Old 05-11-2005, 10:02 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyM
The real beauty of this scenerio is one can wait until just before the end to attain that management job, yet have your entire pension based on the "jack" you made in your highest year, regardless of all those years of performing lesser tasks in less responsible jobs for little money, and therefore not having the opportunity to save significantly on the side.
That's what I like about our government ... always logical and rational. The government always enacts law and introduces policies designed for our best interests. Hmmm..... am I nuts?
Old 05-12-2005, 07:52 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

The writing has been on the wall for ages.

Ya gotta' at least have a degree...........period!
Old 05-13-2005, 04:41 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper
The writing has been on the wall for ages.

Ya gotta' at least have a degree...........period!
When I was a very young man (and before I even had a 2 year
degree) I applied to many a large corp. with predictable
results. Soon figured out they didn't want me and I didn't
want to work for them anyway. The biggest company I ever
worked for was the last one. By that time, my lack of
"book learnin' " was no longer important to anyone. Today, at age
60, no bachelor's, and out of the workforce for a decade?
Well, you would be able to hear the laughter for quite a distance...................

JG

JG