Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-04-2010, 12:19 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer man View Post
In my own life the words of Zorba the Greek keep intermittently coming to mind.
Ha, I enjoyed this clip. I am deep in the catastrophe. I never, ever, ever wanted a house like this in a neighborhood like this. Then my kid came along and completely changed most of my priorities.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2010, 05:02 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Your house sounds far grander than ours (then again, we are not tort-feasors so our income is also more limited), and we just got an estimate of $58,000 to replace our roof. So, beware.

A.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:05 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
... we just got an estimate of $58,000 to replace our roof.
Yikes! What type of roof are you replacing?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:22 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

DH and I bought a modest house in the early 80's that within a year had lost half its value. And yet we ERed in our 40's. We were determined. We paid off the d*&%$m house as fast as possible so it didn't really matter what it was worth. At least you have a historically low interest rate, whereas ours was sky high.
Enjoy your wonderful life!
But I suggest that you shouldn't be like the obese person who thinks they will inevitably always be obese, so they might as well eat donuts. I'll bet you can still stash a little cash each month, if you think you can.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:19 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

A$$-fault shingle! And the house is not that big, and not one of those complicated multiple-pitch roofs either. As I've said before, this is one pricey area to live in.

Not trying to garner pity, though; I just threw it out there as a cautionary note for the youngsters, so to speak.

A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yikes! What type of roof are you replacing?
Old 10-05-2010, 06:23 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
A$$-fault shingle! And the house is not that big, and not one of those complicated multiple-pitch roofs either. As I've said before, this is one pricey area to live in.
I believe you. Wow.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:26 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Amethyst, are you having the old roof torn off too? If not, that is really really expensive.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:49 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Amethyst, are you having the old roof torn off too? If not, that is really really expensive.
Even with a tear-off, that seems super expensive for something describes as 'not that big and not that complex'. We have a large-ish house, pretty simple roof-line (still multi level) and we got a new roof with the 'architectural' shingles (heavier and a bit of 'dimension' to them) for about $4,000 (no tear-off). Chicago-land isn't exactly a low cost area.

To me, $58,000 represents some kind of really extreme job. Are we talking replacing a bunch of rotted sheathing and rafters?

-ERD50
Old 10-05-2010, 08:54 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Something is wrong, Amethyst. Get a 2nd and 3rd estimate.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:03 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Amethyst, something's not right. Even with DC prices. Heck, you could have the house moved 60 miles to rural MD, get the roof done, move the house back to DC and still save money.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:16 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

I just looked up the cost of our last "architectural" asphalt roof (May, 2005) and it was $3500 (no tear-off). Our house is small but I can't imagine how your roof could cost fifteen times that amount, Amethyst, especially since I imagine roofers are as hungry as all the rest of the tradesmen right now.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:32 PM   #32

Amethyst, here is another comparison for you, although it is a bit dated.

2002, removed and replaced 5,500 sq ft of 30 yr "architectural" asphalt shingles. Price includes $1,100 due to steep roof and additional flashing work around chimney and two skylights. Total bill: $8,165.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:42 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Amethyst, we replaced a cedar shake roof on a 5000 sq. ft. house in Arlington (VA) four years ago for $60K. It included replacing 6 skylights. You are being ripped off. Give Shiner Roofing a call. They did good work, and would be a good second opinion.

Also, my brother used to be a roofer, and I can guarantee he never made any money like that.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:33 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Thanks, gang! I appreciate all the stories about your roofing experiences. I may start a thread about roofs where you all can contribute your wisdom.

We were never going with the $58K outfit, but were starting to get bummed all the same. Of course the $58K price was for a "lifetime warranty," and we don't even know if we're going to stay in the area after I retire. Not much point getting a 40-year roof that the next 5 owners will get to enjoy.

Amethyst
Old 10-06-2010, 09:53 PM   #35
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Gang, you are not helping. Amethyst was trying to hide of some her hunky foreign boyfriend's maintenance and up keep in that roof estimate. Now you have blown her plans to smithereens.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:01 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Tortfeasor View Post
About 3.2, unfortunately. Believe me, I am praying for rampant inflation. Unfortunately it doesn't look likely to pick up any time soon.
Relax - you have Uncle Ben and the rest of the Fed firmly in your corner on this one.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:05 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
Relax - you have Uncle Ben and the rest of the Fed firmly in your corner on this one.
Hmm, it's been almost a year since I last looked at this thread. Since that time, my house has depreciated in value, and still no inflation. Oh well. Maybe some ridiculous emoticon will cheer me up...

Hmmm. I guess not. Maybe I'll check in again in another year.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

bbbami is the queen of emoticons - maybe she has one for you.

Amethyst
Old 09-09-2011, 08:16 PM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had the same problem years ago. We moved into our current home and have been there for 25 years it was a real financial stretch for us at the time. Mortgage is now paid off and I only work part time.

You will do just fine. It took me several years to convince myself that I made the correct choice.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:49 AM   #40

Amethyst: Can you give an update on your roof?