Back after a 2 year hiatus and no chance of ER

Amethyst, are you having the old roof torn off too? If not, that is really really expensive.

Amethyst, are you having the old roof torn off too? If not, that is really really expensive.

Even with a tear-off, that seems super expensive for something describes as 'not that big and not that complex'. We have a large-ish house, pretty simple roof-line (still multi level) and we got a new roof with the 'architectural' shingles (heavier and a bit of 'dimension' to them) for about $4,000 (no tear-off). Chicago-land isn't exactly a low cost area.

To me, $58,000 represents some kind of really extreme job. Are we talking replacing a bunch of rotted sheathing and rafters?

-ERD50

Amethyst, something's not right. Even with DC prices. Heck, you could have the house moved 60 miles to rural MD, get the roof done, move the house back to DC and still save money.

I just looked up the cost of our last "architectural" asphalt roof (May, 2005) and it was $3500 (no tear-off). Our house is small but I can't imagine how your roof could cost fifteen times that amount, Amethyst, especially since I imagine roofers are as hungry as all the rest of the tradesmen right now.

Amethyst, here is another comparison for you, although it is a bit dated.

2002, removed and replaced 5,500 sq ft of 30 yr "architectural" asphalt shingles. Price includes $1,100 due to steep roof and additional flashing work around chimney and two skylights. Total bill: $8,165.

Amethyst, we replaced a cedar shake roof on a 5000 sq. ft. house in Arlington (VA) four years ago for $60K. It included replacing 6 skylights. You are being ripped off. Give Shiner Roofing a call. They did good work, and would be a good second opinion.

Also, my brother used to be a roofer, and I can guarantee he never made any money like that. :LOL:

Last edited:
Thanks, gang! I appreciate all the stories about your roofing experiences. I may start a thread about roofs where you all can contribute your wisdom.

We were never going with the $58K outfit, but were starting to get bummed all the same. Of course the $58K price was for a "lifetime warranty," and we don't even know if we're going to stay in the area after I retire. Not much point getting a 40-year roof that the next 5 owners will get to enjoy.

Amethyst

Gang, you are not helping. Amethyst was trying to hide of some her hunky foreign boyfriend's maintenance and up keep in that roof estimate. Now you have blown her plans to smithereens. :)

Relax - you have Uncle Ben and the rest of the Fed firmly in your corner on this one.

Hmm, it's been almost a year since I last looked at this thread. Since that time, my house has depreciated in value, and still no inflation. Oh well. Maybe some ridiculous emoticon will cheer me up...:dance:

Hmmm. I guess not. Maybe I'll check in again in another year.

bbbami is the queen of emoticons - maybe she has one for you.

Amethyst

I had the same problem years ago. We moved into our current home and have been there for 25 years it was a real financial stretch for us at the time. Mortgage is now paid off and I only work part time.

You will do just fine. It took me several years to convince myself that I made the correct choice.

gpsparks2: Yes, I'll bump my "roof, roofers, roofing" thread. Thanks for asking.

A.

Hmm, it's been almost a year since I last looked at this thread. Since that time, my house has depreciated in value, and still no inflation. Oh well. Maybe some ridiculous emoticon will cheer me up...:dance:

Hmmm. I guess not. Maybe I'll check in again in another year.

You're confusing inflation in the price of goods with wage inflation. One doesn't mean the other. If you want to play on inflation, use any savings you have to purchase commodities, precious metals, or metal miners. Use those profits to pay off your home in a few years. ;)

SLC Tortfeasor, congratulations on your new home!

Will tell you "hope is not a strategy". I'll pray for your family that Uncle Murphy doesn’t move into one of your guest rooms :)

A beautiful home for a young lovely family. It's all good, SLC. Still, if you can, try to save a little toward ER along the way. Thank you for sharing.

Every now and then, I get tempted to "upgrade" to a big, luxurious house with all the trimmings located in an awesome school district. But I just want to ER too bad to go through with it. I'll stick with my average house, and probably 5-10 times the net worth of my neighbors.

SLC, as long as you have no regrets, who am I to judge? If you do (have regrets), sounds like you bought in a great location, so do forget it is possible to sell a house too if you change your mind.

Last edited:
I think this scenario fits a lot of the 20 or 30 somethings that dream of ER. A little bit of [-]life[/-] wife comes along and their dreams change.
Fixed?! :cool:.

SLC, best of luck to you. Just try to do the best you can, including paying down the mortgage aggressively.

Last edited:
Let's see...

Good:
*Wife
*Kid
*Nice Home
*Nice Income

Bad:
*ER not in sight.

So 4 for 5 ain't bad in life, baseball, three point shooting, and many other things.

You are looking good!!

good advice, quality of life is the most important part of our short stay here, I wish I had listened to my own advice! I have plenty money ( not trying to be a dick) to satisfy my life but have sacrificed a lot - money is paper Family is everything.

best wishes my friend - enjoy what you have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom