Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-22-2010, 10:51 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Everyone has something really important to them.
If it is cars, awesome, say go for it as long as you fully understand the finances and what they will mean to your other plans.
Personally, I am making a decision to splurge on an EV. Not because it will save me money, but because I have been dreaming of an EV for years. I want to help dispel some of the myths out there about EVs and support innovative companies that are bringing this technology to market (hopefully they 'stick' this time).

While ER is a great goal, you should allow yourself to live a little on your way there
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2010, 01:01 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrooge McDuck View Post
Gas costs have been cut in half, as I now get 50+ mpg on regular unleaded versus about 25 on premium gas. (especially important given my 70+ mile daily commute)
I have never understood why people purchase vehicles that require the use of premium gasoline (I would also say that I don't undertand why companies manufacture such cars in the first place, but apparently there is a market). It would appear to be a case of money going straight down the toilet, without any value received whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrooge McDuck View Post
On the other side of the coin, though, I have to say the Merc was my "dream car" also, when I purchased it. And man, it WAS pretty gratifying. For me I loved the car's appearance, thought it was the best looking thing on the market, and it definitely made me feel good to be in that car, I admit it!
The only problem is that such emotional gratification tends to be quite temporary. Many studies have shown that consumers quickly adapt to their purchases, take them for granted, and move on to their next search for a new toy ('gazingus pin'). See generally Danziger, Why People Buy Things They Don't Need: Understanding and Predicting Consumer Behaviour.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:47 AM   #83
Confused about dryer sheets

Yeah, definitely. The more focused I became on saving and FI, the more I grew to hate the "premium gas tax", as well as all the other "luxury taxes" as I referred to them--insurance premium tax, repair tax, etc. I'm not enough of a car guy to authoritatively deny that using premium gas over regular doesn't have some kind of benefit--maybe it makes the engine "smoother", or whatever. But you are right, from my perspective as a consumer, that extra money was literally going nowhere, getting sucked out of my bottom line but not appearing to benefit me (thus why I called them taxes ). After paying such a hefty premium on the vehicle itself, I was sort of blind-sided by all the nickle-and-diming afterward. Should've known better, I guess, but now at least I get to warn others--that luxury car is way more expensive than just its price tag and monthly payment!
Scrooge McDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:52 AM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you want a luxury car, then Infiniti or Lexus or Acura is the way to go, their maintenance costs are MUCH LOWER than any Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche out there..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:57 AM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
If you want a luxury car, then Infiniti or Lexus or Acura is the way to go, their maintenance costs are MUCH LOWER than any Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche out there..........
Wow...I didn't realize I have a luxury car....
Old 07-23-2010, 11:24 AM   #86

As I understand it, "premium" gasoline is only required for engines with high compression ratios. The raison d'être of such engines is to offer (the possibility of) increased speed.

However, considering that speed limits effectively preclude any use of that potential, I don't see the point.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:50 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
As I understand it, "premium" gasoline is only required for engines with high compression ratios. The raison d'être of such engines is to offer (the possibility of) increased speed.

However, considering that speed limits effectively preclude any use of that potential, I don't see the point.
I am a car guy first off. Currently own two BMWs, a Porsche 993 and a '67 Lotus Elan. And my experience with cars is either you get it or you don't. If you don't get it, God bless you, you'll save a lot of money. If you do get it, you'll have lots of fun everytime you get behind the wheel of your car.

Neither approach is better than the other except to the individual.
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:27 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARS View Post
I am a car guy first off. Currently own two BMWs, a Porsche 993 and a '67 Lotus Elan.
If you really love cars, don't you feel like you are "cheating" on the car you love with all your other cars? I guess I am one of those that just doesn't get it. I love my Venza and would never dream of owning another car at the same time.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:40 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
If you really love cars, don't you feel like you are "cheating" on the car you love with all your other cars? I guess I am one of those that just doesn't get it. I love my Venza and would never dream of owning another car at the same time.
That’s an easy one… I learned long ago (and by example and not personal experience I hasten to add) that it’s far cheaper to cheat on any one of my cars than it is on my wife!
Old 07-23-2010, 06:41 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
We car guys are polygamists, W2R. We have enough love to go 'round. Our mission is to have lots of cars, so that we can go to the never-ending celestial car show when we die.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:53 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That’s an easy one… I learned long ago (and by example and not personal experience I hasten to add) that it’s far cheaper to cheat on any one of my cars than it is on my wife!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
We car guys are polygamists, W2R. We have enough love to go 'round. Our mission is to have lots of cars, so that we can go to the never-ending celestial car show when we die.
Thanks, you two, I am laughing so hard!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:20 PM   #92

Quote:
my experience with cars is either you get it or you don't.... If you do get it, you'll have lots of fun everytime you get behind the wheel of your car.
I don't share your interest in cars, but do understand it. It can be fun to own things like that.

What I don't understand is the desire for high compression engines, which offer no discernable advantage unless one is involved in track racing or other venues that permit the higher performance to be utilized. Due to legal restrictions, it is impossible for the owner of a fast car to have lots of fun every time they get behind the wheel.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:07 PM   #93

Quote:
Due to legal restrictions, it is impossible for the owner of a fast car to have lots of fun every time they get behind the wheel.
There are few legal restrictions on how you get to the speed limit.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:04 PM   #94

Quote:
What I don't understand is the desire for high compression engines, which offer no discernable advantage unless one is involved in track racing or other venues that permit the higher performance to be utilized. Due to legal restrictions, it is impossible for the owner of a fast car to have lots of fun every time they get behind the wheel.
I could try to explain, but it falls into the category of "don't get it". Similar to a discussion of high end "complicated" watches (say a Patek Philippe) vs. a Timex... either you appreciate the beauty of it or you don't.

I will tell you from past ownership experience that there is nothing in this world like the sound of a Ferrari engine at full tilt... but there is also nothing like the sound of your whince when you get a service bill for engine work!
Old 07-25-2010, 02:38 PM   #95
Administrator

Quote:
I will tell you from past ownership experience that there is nothing in this world like the sound of a Ferrari engine at full tilt
For your listening pleasure. If I could have any car in the world, this would be it.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:42 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
For your listening pleasure. If I could have any car in the world, this would be it.

If you're goin dream, dream BIG and a 250 GTO is about as big as you can!

Just to be different, I'd rather have a 250LM and a 275 GTB NART Spyder (which together probably cost about what a '60's GTO goes for)...
Old 07-25-2010, 02:45 PM   #97

Lars, since you appreciate engine noise here is another video clip you might enjoy: It features the sounds of a couple of (inverted) V12s: a 1,300 hp RR Merlin 224 and a 1,100 hp DB601A.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:55 PM   #98

Quote:
Due to legal restrictions, it is impossible for the owner of a fast car to have lots of fun every time they get behind the wheel.
And yet I do...
Old 07-25-2010, 02:55 PM   #99
Administrator

Quote:
Just to be different, I'd rather have a 250LM and a 275 GTB NART Spyder (which together probably cost about what a '60's GTO goes for)...
Both of them are also beautiful cars.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:05 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
And yet I do...
Yes, I've heard about you Moscow drivers!