Join Early Retirement Today

Be Happy! *How?....
Old 11-14-2004, 07:33 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Be Happy! *How?....

1. *Be thankful for what you have.
2. *Recognize that no BUSINESS exists to "help" YOU!
3. *Acknowledge the world as it is--an efficient exploiting marketing machine at ALL levels.
4. *Understand quality--no, REALLY understand quality in all aspects of your life. *e.g. Money, diet, spirituality, interpreting results, words, etc.
5. *See beyond symbols - e.g. schools, hospitals, work, church, government, racism, etc. *Most are wolves in sheep's clothing to keep you subordinate on some level (refer to 3).
6. *Eliminate LBYM from your vocabulary--it has psychological connotations of sacrifice. *Instead, LFYM (live for YOUR means)---not someone else's.
7. Be sincere, courteous, and helpful to ALL people.

"Life is a game--play fair, play to win!" -- TD

Tommy_Dolitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Be Happy! *How?....
Old 11-14-2004, 08:01 AM   #2

I especially like #1 and #7. We need more of #7 in this harried world.

I would add:

8. Find a way to make a positive contribution to your community or to society at large. Whether it's through paid work or volunteer effort, find somethiing you enjoy and are skilled at and share it with others.

My solution to #8:
paid employment (science and math teacher)

volunteer work after ER: teaching people about birds and natural history. I'd like to start a program in local schools to get kids outdoors- not just for sports events, but on camping and hiking trips, trips to the aquarium and science museums, etc.
Re: Be Happy!  How?....
Old 11-14-2004, 04:19 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Re: Be Happy!  How?....

Here's a very simple rule for happiness while following the LBYM/FIRE philosophy:

Know when it's time to save, and when it's time to spend.

Those who save their money at the cost of their happiness are paralyzed by their wealth, rather than empowered by it. They are afraid to spend it, fearful that once it's gone they can never replace it. As such fear grows, their wealth becomes a gilded prison, and ultimately a tomb to be ransacked by graverobbers.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 08:13 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

#6 struck a chord tonight. Live and work for your goals not someone else's.

Strange, I have worked soo hard to get where I am at and it probably seems that I don't appreciate it. I do. I am grateful not to have to life with the "what-ifs". Its just that I am fullfilled from a achievement perspective.

Somone I respect and love dearly mentioned to that were people lining up to get 6 figure jobs over in Iraq. As I had brought up my ER intentions, the implication was that I should try to be grateful for the job I have and realize that others are literaly dying for the opportunity to make such $. I know the being made was to try to get me to realize that my pains are relative and one's attitude makes a big difference. I want to appreciate the perspective, but as I am burnt out, its lost on me. In theory I agree, but.... Why should I keep chained to a job that is killing me. I may not be in jeapardy of being physically blown up, but I do have health/emotional issues tied to the stress and physically demanding hours.

I've reached many of my goals, so I dont know why I feel the need to justify/get "buy-in" for my semiER/ER. I think should do like some others here and keep my mouth shut about my ER interests.

windedhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 01:47 AM   #5

Re. "health/emotional issues and stress", I blame no one but myself. No one forced me to work ungodly hours and think about business 24/7. It was in my genes and always will be, even though I have learned to
ignore it. However, if I had the health and energy of 20 years ago
I'm not sure what I would be doing now. I never really hated my work even though I am quite sure it took a
toll on my health.

John Galt
Old 11-15-2004, 11:32 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I blame no one but myself. *No one forced me to work ungodly hours and think about business 24/7. *It was in my genes and always will be, even though I have learned to
ignore it. *
I agree and am convinced that I either gotta rewire myself to learn to let go or ER. Rewiring ones mind sounds like an easier route; but maybe I am too bullheaded.

I have not been successful in rewiring my head beyond a temporary spell, and I have been at it for years --Fighting your self-percieved personality is exhausting. I figure I can redirect that type A focus and obsession/energy to ER. :
windedhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 01:11 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think it's been said a few times that many type-A personalities die within a few years of retirement -- after literally being bored to death. Yet there's nothing wrong with being type-A in retirement, and despite what others may say, you don't have to slow down. Just redirect your focus to activities other than work.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Type A ERs?
Old 11-15-2004, 09:13 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Type A ERs?

Quote:
Yet there's nothing wrong with being type-A in retirement, and despite what others may say, you don't have to slow down. *Just redirect your focus to activities other than work.
Absolutely. Those Type-A mortality stories are based on workplace crises (heart attacks, strokes) resulting in medical retirements which are followed by an early death. Type A is no worse (or better) than other personalities. I used to be a Type-A poster child, but now the focus is on my life & family instead of career. It is very hard to make that transition while you're still working, but it happens pretty quickly once you get out of that workplace habit.

But that Type-A drive will stay with you and help you develop an exercise program, research & follow an effective weight-control diet, shift to a lower-stress lifestyle, overhaul your household budget & expenses, fix everything that's broke, and pursue all your hobbies & interests with renewed vigor. I'm way too busy to even contemplate returning to work.

Of course there are days when I'd rather just deepen the dent in my recliner cushions, especially after a vigorous night of tae kwon do sparring. But then the surf rises up, so I chug 800mg of ibuprofen and haul myself back out there!

Someday I'd like to meet that legendary retiree who brings home his retirement plaque and within six months has the entire house & yard completely fixed up. I'm pretty sure he's the Social Security Administration's urban legend designed to keep the rest of us working out of a misplaced fear of boredom...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 02:30 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

It is going to take me a least two years to fix the house and another two to fix the yard.

Bruce
Old 11-16-2004, 04:46 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Heh,heh,heh,heh,heh

We have dumb city people who buy 'vacation camps' out here 'in da swamp- fix up, put in truck loads of fill and make yards to mow, etc. They usually last about ten years: burn out and sell out. The ones who last keep the run (fishing pier) and boat launch in good shape and keep the rest patched enough to keep things going and don't piss off relatives/friends by requiring weekend work for 'visitation rights'.

25 yrs of patching/letting the small stuff slide - and weedwacking enough to keep 300-350' of driveway and parking open - is just ducky for me.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote