Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-09-2014, 12:24 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
I'm a fidelity customer so, my investments are all tracked there. I also use Mint to track expenses. However fidelity now has an expense tracking app which would allow me to track it all in one place and fidelity is very secure. So you might try fidelity if you're more worried about security or Mint if not a fidelity customer.
Can someone tell me what this app is called? Is this an "app" or a tool? I use Mint and PearBudget(on SkyDrive) to keep track of my expenses, but I would like to look at what fidelity has that Huston mentioned (I couldn't find it).

Thank you!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2014, 04:22 PM   #22

Been using Mac versions of Quicken for years, but latest Mac version has lost some important features vs Windows version. I'm in process of moving on. MoneyDance looks like best prospect.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:55 PM   #23
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Can someone tell me what this app is called? Is this an "app" or a tool? I use Mint and PearBudget(on SkyDrive) to keep track of my expenses, but I would like to look at what fidelity has that Huston mentioned (I couldn't find it).

Thank you!
I think Huston55 is referring to the Fidelity Full View apps where you can set budgets and track your spending for all linked accounts.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:53 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was a longtime Quicken user, but they essentially abandoned us Mac people.

I tried iBank, but couldn't get into their way of doing things.

Settled on Moneydance, and have been a happy user for well over two years now.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:01 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountingDown2014 View Post
I think Huston55 is referring to the Fidelity Full View apps where you can set budgets and track your spending for all linked accounts.
I've found it with your help. Thank you very much!
Old 02-09-2014, 06:10 PM   #26

I've been a Quicken user for 20 years and still use it as my primary tracking tool. I do use Personal Capital to double check the data. I'm not clear how Personal Capital or Mint could be relied on exclusively though. Don't those products limit how much historical data you can look at?

If the online accounts being accessed no longer store your data, doesn't that mean you won't be able to see it in PC or Mint? If that doesn't both you, maybe it's fine. But I would not want a company archiving my data on their schedule.

Also, what if you routinely use a credit card, and then cancel it. If your account becomes disabled, don't you lose access to the historical data?
Old 02-12-2014, 07:27 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Another long-term Quicken user here. The Mac version of Quicken has been awful for as long as I can remember. When I switched to Mac, I used Boot Camp to keep a Windows XP install just so I could keep using the Windows version of Quicken. Now, I do the same thing using Oracle's VirtualBox software, which doesn't even require me to reboot the Mac. Currently running the 2012 version and will upgrade once it reaches the end of its lifecycle and the online features stop working.

I don't really use it for budgeting. I keep a separate Excel spreadsheet of my recurring monthly bills. Pretty much everything else goes on my credit card, so that's highly variable from month to month.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:07 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Google Docs Spreadsheet

I am old fashioned too I guess.
My vote is on a spreadsheet, I update it once a month, takes about 20 minutes, and can separate purchases from one receipt into different categories to better keep track of spend. Doing it this way allows me to reliably keep track of expenditures year over year and more accurately budget for the future.

When I used quicken 10 years ago, I was not able to remove account transfers as a category that was dwarfing the real spending.
I used Mint about five years ago, but it did not allow access to my local credit union.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:20 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by molof View Post
When I used quicken 10 years ago, I was not able to remove account transfers as a category that was dwarfing the real spending.
You can take out transfers if you choose that option in the reporting. It does show them as a default but they are pretty easy to remove.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:49 PM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molof View Post
I am old fashioned too I guess.
My vote is on a spreadsheet[...]
I love using a spreadsheet because I spend less time battling requirements and limitations of the software, and more time getting the answers I want or need. I use Open Office, which is free.

I tried Quicken last year and still prefer Excel for some reason for the kinds of calculations and results that I want.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:57 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
still prefer Excel for some reason for the kinds of calculations and results that I want.
Yes, do whatever is necessary to get the results you want!
Reality, schmeality; I want my bottom line to look like THIS!

More seriously, I use my own spreadsheets too (although I love Moneydance for day to day tracking). Apple's Numbers spreadsheet (their version of Excel) started out pretty basic, but they have gradually added features to the point that it's now almost equal to Excel but easier to use (for me anyway).
Old 03-11-2014, 05:08 PM   #32
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Yes, do whatever is necessary to get the results you want!
Reality, schmeality; I want my bottom line to look like THIS!

More seriously, I use my own spreadsheets too (although I love Moneydance for day to day tracking). Apple's Numbers spreadsheet (their version of Excel) started out pretty basic, but they have gradually added features to the point that it's now almost equal to Excel but easier to use (for me anyway).
I have used Excel (or now, Open Office) daily for the past 25 years, so I feel at home with it. And actually knowing exactly how something is calculated never did any harm, assuming one is seeking reality.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:22 PM   #33

Embarassing... We don't track anything except the bank account balance. Our bills are stabilized, so a quick glance tells if anything unusal happens.

Filing system - spindle for unpaid... usually empty... drawer for paid... another drawer for receipts.

Works for us.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:17 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Embarassing... We don't track anything except the bank account balance. Our bills are stabilized, so a quick glance tells if anything unusal happens.

Filing system - spindle for unpaid... usually empty... drawer for paid... another drawer for receipts.

Works for us.
Works for us too. We have only two accounts that bills are paid from. I track the monthly WD from those - that is how much we spend. Though I do put those in a spreadsheet, and spread a few annual payments out across the 12 months to smooth them.

-ERD50
Old 03-12-2014, 02:46 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I use a spreadsheet too. It's changed a little from the first version I've set up 15 years ago. I use Mint to get my husband's spending as he has his own credit card, even though we have the same bank account.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:08 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

+1 on YNAB... excellent for tracking expenses vs your budget. Good reports. We are early into retirement so expenses are top of mind. Also use Mint as a snapshot of accounts at the bank and brokerage firms.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:02 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had been a happy Moneydance user for many years; but, I have recently switched to KMyMoney as part of my personal quest to go completely Open Source.

KMyMoney is the best of the Open Source alternatives for personal use that I have found. If I ever start my own consulting or software business, I may move to http://www.gnucash.org/; but, for now, that is overkill for me.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:54 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Excel spreadsheet here. I use it for tracking spending, tracking investments and savings and net worth as well as projecting my ER date as a added bonus I've added a tab that will show my daughter exactly where everything is and how much to collect in the event of our untimely demise...
Old 03-13-2014, 05:38 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derslickmeister View Post
Excel spreadsheet here. I use it for tracking spending, tracking investments and savings and net worth as well as projecting my ER date as a added bonus I've added a tab that will show my daughter exactly where everything is and how much to collect in the event of our untimely demise...
I use a "book" (printed MS Word document in a 3-ring binder) to accomplish the instructions and help DD understand the how and why of my investing and withdrawing. It also includes how I plan to manage most everything in the aging process and points to the appropriate documents. It was originally written for my (deceased) wife so she could take over more that just entering receipts in Quicken and checking account balances. My DD uses Quicken too, so all the references to Quicken data and reports should not be a big hurdle for her.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:28 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I use a "book" (printed MS Word document in a 3-ring binder) to accomplish the instructions and help DD understand the how and why of my investing and withdrawing. It also includes how I plan to manage most everything in the aging process and points to the appropriate documents. It was originally written for my (deceased) wife so she could take over more that just entering receipts in Quicken and checking account balances. My DD uses Quicken too, so all the references to Quicken data and reports should not be a big hurdle for her.
Awesome, sounds like what Dave R. calls the "legacy drawer". Great idea.