Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Blowing the chance to ER
Old 08-10-2006, 12:06 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunc0029
...My biggest nemesis regarding FIRE is myself.* I get restless and want a change.* This is the first lateral move I've made, so I'm hoping it pans out.* I'm hoping the "hang in there" mentality will get stronger as I get closer to the finish line and I can bear the boredom.
I'm with you.* I get bored to tears some days, but then I think "overall, it could certainly be worse.* You are getting closer to freedom everyday.* Just hang in there."* But by the same token, why not keep the eyes open for other/better opportunites.* But then again, the devil you know is better than the devil you don't.... and so it goes.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2006, 12:45 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I understand where you guys are coming from. I get bored to tears at my job on a regular basis. That's one reason why I'm glad I found this forum...gives me something to do and people to talk to to make the otherwise boring day go faster! If nothing else though, I figure that every hour I work is another ~$7.50 into my 401k. Plus whatever other investments I might make over the course of the month...

Old 08-10-2006, 12:46 PM   #23

I'll reemphasize what I think Jared was trying to say (but not so nicely), and just say that any solution that just has one wishing for "tomorrow" is a bad solution. * *I think one has to find happiness today, while at the same time working towards FIRE. * As long as someone is investing, diversifying, and saving routinely, then you're always getting there. *But I also have empathy for the person that considers himself unhappy during the necessary working years.

Azanon
Old 08-10-2006, 01:02 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunc0029
I could have stayed "safe" for another 9 years, but I was very bored. My biggest nemesis regarding FIRE is myself. I get restless and want a change. I'm hoping the "hang in there" mentality will get stronger as I get closer to the finish line and I can bear the boredom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969
I understand where you guys are coming from.* I get bored to tears at my job on a regular basis.* That's one reason why I'm glad I found this forum...gives me something to do and people to talk to to make the otherwise boring day go faster!
Having experienced "exciting", I like boring. I like boring a lot.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 01:11 PM   #25

Oh yeah, I realize, "boring" can be good sometimes. "Exciting" isn't always a good thing.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:23 PM   #26

I would love to be bored instead of constantly overworked like I have been for the last 6+ years. What field are you in? Maybe I should consider a switch.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:05 PM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969
Oh yeah, I realize, "boring" can be good sometimes.* "Exciting" isn't always a good thing.*
Isn't there a Chinese proverb that says something to the effect of "May you live in interesting times"?
Old 08-11-2006, 12:45 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

That's an ancient chinese curse.

Retirees are often asked, "Don't you get bored?"

A lot of folks get bored at work too.

Sometimes people say they'd rather be bored at work and get paid for it.

What do you do with the extra money? I guess you could save it for retirement...
Old 08-11-2006, 05:25 PM   #29

My job goes from the mundane to the frantic...it all depends on who shows up in the lobby that day.

I am not engaged in the Mega. corp. political scene nor the current raves of the latest HR BS program of the month. It takes a lot of self control to get through management meetings without losing my lunch. I am retired in place it seems at times. I am here for a paycheck and to feather my nest while things are still floating without direction and to mark time until DW can retire with medical benefits and her well earned small pension....gas money for the RV.

Yes I am bored most of the time but I am still contributing and am still sought out for what I know and for what I do. It has some rewards beyond financial but after 32 years of the same old same old...it does get stale.