Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Bored into retirement - the other side of the coin
Old 08-01-2005, 12:34 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

That's how I got my MA. I was doing in-house corporate training but the employees were too busy to come. I got a solid 4 hrs of studying in per day. In my case I didn't have a boss looking over my shoulder and could do what I wanted, within reason. Some distance programs are strong and most are getting better all the time.

Nords the military seems to have excellent training opportunities both on-site and distance. The University of Maryland and Texas are always advertising for professors over here.*

It took me a long time to realize work was not my life focus. I didn't need to be productive. It was hard because much of my identity was wrapped up with my job title and what I achieved at work. The thing that got me out was I realized what I achieved at work didn't really help me (my personal case) but helped the employer.* Also, I realized they could replace me in a week.

I have never gotten over the fear of being fired even when I was the model worker. My solution is to save as much as possible and achieve FI as quickly as possible.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2005, 09:31 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wow, I had no idea that there were this many people in the same boat as me! I work as a government contractor doing desktop publishing, graphics, putting together big presentations, etc. Every once in awhile we'll have something come up that requires some major overtime. I think my personal record was about 90 hours total (40 hours + 50 OT) in one week. But usually our work is cyclical, where it's fairly busy for maybe a week, and the rest of the month is pretty extremely dull.

Financially, I'm okay. Between my almost-maxed out 401k and some regular investing in mutual funds, i'm probably socking away $30,000 per year right now. Plus I put in a max for a ROTH IRA. I'm part owner in a house that's paid for in full (or was, until I took out a $100K HELOC! ). And the real kicker is that I only live about 3 1/2 miles from work! If I really wanted to get cheap, I could give up the car and bike it to work.

Sometimes i fantasize about just bailing out right now, but realistically I know that I don't have enough saved up. Plus, I'm only 35 years old, so what I do have saved (probably about $330K by now) would have to stretch out for an awful long time! When I was younger, I never even fathomed that one day the biggest problem with my job wouldn't be low pay, an incompetent boss, too much work, or too much stress, but would be BOREDOM instead!!

If nothing else, I figure each day I work is another day I have some money to save, and another day closer I get to total financial independence! I've also got something like 280 hours of leave saved up, and I get almost 8 hours every two weeks (25 days per year, comes out to 7.69 hours per pay period), so one thing i've started doing, just to keep from burning out totally, is to just take a day off here and there, and use the time to work on the house, out in the yard, or just goof off and do nothing productive at all!

Old 08-01-2005, 10:32 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969
When I was younger, I never even fathomed that one day the biggest problem with my job wouldn't be low pay, an incompetent boss, too much work, or too much stress, but would be BOREDOM instead!!
Welcome to the board, Andre! Looks like compounding will take care of all the usual ER challenges in your situation...

Another ER challenge that frequently goes unmentioned is being responsible for your own continuing education & development entertainment. If you're bored at work and can't find a way to sneak your own agenda & projects into your office, then ER might be fraught with unexpected pitfalls. You probably can't practice your longboard skills there but you could definitely research/plan your investments or learn more about things that interest you. The number of online books & discussion boards alone could fill a "work"day.

Frequently at this point in your life any lingering boredom relieved by acquiring a spouse and (hopefully sequentially) a family. That solves the boredom problem, anyway. Some days I still wonder if I was tricked into being a reproductive member of the human race, but the other inmate seems pretty nice.

Another option, not that I'm trying to mess up what seems to be a perfectly happy lifestyle, would be to look around for job skills that would help you become more valuable to your company (or to some other company). There's usually training courses or masters degree programs, advanced Excel, other presentation software or projects, or just commission artwork? Or spend your down time at your desk reading Bernstein's "Four Pillars".

A 3.5 mile commute in, what, the Bowie area? Get a bicycle and a workplace locker! You'll be the envy of about 99% of the surrounding population... that short a commute is probably more damaging to the car anyway.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 12:29 PM   #44

You guessed it, Nords, I'm in the Bowie-Greenbelt area! Are you from the area?
Old 08-01-2005, 02:12 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

I worked at my previous company for over 4 years. It was only 3 miles from home so I was always thinking about how lucky I was that I only had a 5 min drive. About 2.5 years into my job, I decided that I was going to biking to work.
I can't begin to tell you how awesome it was!

My biggest regret is wasting the first 2 years of my job by not biking to work. The best part was just noticing the jacaranda trees or the hawks/vultures flying overhead. Total stress relief! Plus, it was such a short ride, I didn't have to worry about getting sweaty.

Unfortunately, I now work 12 miles so it's a lot harder now!
Old 08-01-2005, 07:34 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Use your time to your advantage.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:49 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969
You guessed it, Nords, I'm in the Bowie-Greenbelt area!* Are you from the area?
Spouse grew up in Bowie and her family later moved to the Annapolis area before moving to be near their grandkid in Hawaii. (My brother-in-law the CPA is up in Crofton.) My FIL still kvetches about buying the Bowie house in 1964 ($16,500) and selling in 1983 for $122K instead of renting it out. If he had his way he'd still be a landlord.

I haven't been back to Bowie in a couple decades, but I'm sure the statute of limitations has expired by now.

Whenever I feel maudlin about Hawaii's warm summer months & year-round traffic, I remember the DC winters, the 50/Beltway interchange, and the Woodrow Wilson bridge. Then I think about Pentagon duty, and suddenly I'm in paradise again!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 08:45 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Nords:
The sad thing is Beltway/50 is nothin' these days (heck, I work right there and feel privledged with my easy commute).

I think the new WW bridge opened today also.

Just reporting in from our nations capital.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:44 AM   #49

Well, here I am today, bored at work again...so entertain me, guys and gals! Actually, today's been a pretty good day for once. Just enough work to keep me busy and make the day not seem to drag. Plus, watching the stock market today, and my Scottrade account, is exciting...but not necessarily in a good way. Oh well, it'll go back up again!
Old 08-10-2005, 09:00 AM   #50

Well, well, well.* The imprimaturs at the Washington Post are validating Dex's lifestyle.* As usual, we at Early Retirment.org are on the cutting edge.

Boredom Numbs the Work World
Old 08-10-2005, 10:19 AM   #51

what did people do before the internet, anyway?
Old 08-10-2005, 12:06 PM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle
Some real work!*

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 02:58 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle
I asked one of the guys that has been doing the work we do for 40 years or so. He said read the paper, play cards (by hand), fool around/horseplay/office antics, and work.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:03 PM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
I asked one of the guys that has been doing the work we do for 40 years or so. He said read the paper, play cards (by hand), fool around/horseplay/office antics, and work.
In that order...?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 04:43 PM   #55

Quote:
Plus, watching the stock market today, and my Scottrade account, is exciting...
Anyone remember that TV ad from a few ago where the guy is watching his stocks go up and down on his computer? You see him happy, sad, scared, happy... Then he just gets so excited that he runs over and jumps through his window. He's on the first floor, so he isn't hurt and the tag line is "Trading in the safety of your own home." I still laugh when I think of it.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:57 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
In that order...?
He worked for the city, so probably, yes.