Join Early Retirement Today
Old 10-03-2007, 09:30 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Congrats Andre! If I throw in my home equity (not that old saw again!), then I can get up there in the over $500k department. You are killing it! That is awesome!
Hope your back gets better--that's what you get for having so many liquor bottles in the recycling bin! just kidding!
When we lived on Folly Beach, a little hippie enclave, the "fancy beer police" neighbors would comment if you had expensive beer or liquor bottles in the we were always careful to put a layer of PBR cans on the top to keep our "cool factor" going.
Thanks, Sarah. Yeah, I could probably boost it over $500K too if I counted home equity, but to me that just seems like it would be cheating, somehow?

My back's getting better, thanks. I made it into work today, thanks to a couple of cold-packs that I brought with me. I'm not too bad as long as I don't have to get up. Ooops, guess I shouldn't have drunk all that coffee this morning!

And hey, how'd you know what I had in the recycle bin? That was spot-on!!

Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2007, 05:08 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
Really, home equity should only be counted (I would think) if you plan on liquidating at some point in time and buying something else. If you're going to stay in that home, it makes no sense to count that as part of your networth (since it's not an asset, it's your home)

For us on the other hand, I count our house in our networth, because part of our calculation of "needs" is $XXX,XXX to purchase a boat to live on (and the house will be sold). So our home is just another asset to be weighed.

HobbyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:43 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by HobbyDave View Post
Really, home equity should only be counted (I would think) if you plan on liquidating at some point in time and buying something else.
I think it's useful to look at it both ways (total net worth and investable assets). Also, especially if one doesn't need/want to leave a significant estate, a reverse mortgage is always a possibility.

I generally include what little home equity I have because I live in a rural area where property values are relatively stable (about 2-3% appreciation per year), and because, by the time I retire, my home will probably represent a small fraction of my assets... At least, that's my way of justifying the way I do things!
segfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:31 PM   #24
Confused about dryer sheets
With the market the way it is my thrift savings plan is about $430K. My rental house is about $400K around depends on how the real estate market is. I only have ten years to go for early fire at 56.

jasond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 02:25 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I just went over $50K in my 401k and that was pretty cool, since I've only had it since Sept 2005.
You are beating me I'm at about 36k, and I started in May of 2005. Of course, I've job hopped twice since then, so I lost 4 or 5 months in 2006, and 4 or 5 months this year too, but even with those, I think you'd still be winning

NinjaPigeon is offline   Reply With Quote