Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Buy my first house?
Old 02-21-2007, 04:37 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Deetso, how long have you been seriously looking at houses in your area? We bought our first house quickly and it all worked out well for us, but after moving in and living there realized there were always a few for sale in the neighborhood. So I wonder whether this one really is as good a deal as it seems, or is it just the first one you've really noticed?

WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2007, 01:33 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Here's my experience, for what it's worth: I bought my first house in 2002 when I was a brand new (26 year old) lawyer. It was the first and only house I had looked at in the neighborhood, and in fact it was the only house I had looked at in its price range. So in a lot of ways, it was not very prudent of me to pounce on that house.

When I bought, I only had 5% to put toward a down payment. But I had a relatively high income, and I got a roommate to live with me and pay rent for several months.

I'm glad I bought it, because appreciation in the neighborhood has been some of the hottest in the state. I paid about $170K for the house in December of 2002, and sold 3.5 years later for $260K, having put about $10K worth of work into it in the meantime. And on top of it all, I really loved the house. Last year I used the proceeds from the old house to pay a 20% downpayment on a bigger house on a nicer street in the same cool neighborhood.

I guess the moral of my story is, it may actually make sense for you to buy the place if you totally love it and can afford it. Also, it helps to be able to predict the future and know that real estate values will continue to rise there.
SLC Tortfeasor is offline   Reply With Quote