Join Early Retirement Today

Buying a house, but not to live in. Sigh.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:05 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Buying a house, but not to live in. Sigh.

Hi all. This post is in the "be careful what you wish for" category.

DH and I have been aggressively paying off debt and saving for a down payment for a bigger house. It was really looking like we might be able to buy a place in our neighborhood this summer -- and I was excited.

Then, my MIL ran into financial difficulties. Her home, the family home, is at risk of foreclosure.

So, the siblings are going to pitch in money, pay down the loan, refinance it for lower monthly payments and then....

DH and I are going to pay the mortgage on it each month, what MIL can't pay and the rent from the back unit won't cover. This is an option we have chosen after careful and lengthy deliberation.

Pluses to this: We're saving the family home, which is unique and has strong positive associations for us all. DH and I are getting a long-term real estate investment in an area with a traditionally strong economy, and it will possibly be an income generator in the future. Family functions and holidays will continue (buying a smaller place for MIL is a financially sounder option, but having a family gathering place is very high on our list of priorities). We're setting up a family ownership agreement with a competent attorney, so everyone's interests are protected and it's very clear what is going on.

Minuses: I've done the math. We can swing the mortgage on two places but not on three. Our aggressive debt repayment plan is about to get a lot longer.

Sigh. Wierdly, however, I'm kind of excited about more debt to slay, because I kind of feel like we're good at that.

Bigger house and possibly ER? Seems unlikely right now.

Working on being happy with what I've got. And glad we're in a position to help.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2011, 06:12 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchina View Post
Working on being happy with what I've got. And glad we're in a position to help.
You have a very nice attitude.

Ha

Old 03-22-2011, 06:25 PM   #3
Administrator

Sorry to hear this. I have confidence that you will be able to "slay that debt" and move on to a bigger house and ER. Must be pretty disappointing right now, though.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:42 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

DH and I are going to pay the mortgage on it each month, what MIL can't pay and the rent from the back unit won't cover. This is an option we have chosen after careful and lengthy deliberation.

This is really a nice thing to do . Whenever I have done something like this money seems to flow my way so I hope it's the same with you !
Old 03-22-2011, 09:13 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You're using money as a tool to accomplish what's important to you. Things could be a lot worse than that.

This will be a real gut check on sibling relationships & harmony.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:36 PM   #6

Thank you for the kind words, all.

Nords, that's exactly it. This is more important to us, right now, than a bigger place. So that's where the money is going.

As far as family and sibling harmony -- we are so very, very fortunate to be in very collaborative families where assets are easily and freely shared. But we are still having that legal agreement drawn up, so that when time comes to sell the house or buy others out, we have an agreed-upon way to do it. And no hard feelings, as nobody is being coerced into this.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:54 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Good going, kid.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:17 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Will you at least be able to get the bank to do a short sale, to lower what she owes?

Nice thing to be doing.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:36 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Then, my MIL ran into financial difficulties. Her home, the family home, is at risk of foreclosure.
Not to be nosy, but can you tell us what type of "financial difficulties" your MIL ran into? Were they of her own making, or are they a sign she is no longer able to handle her financial affairs? In either case, I would be very concerned.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:06 PM   #10

Urchina, I'm sorry that your aggressive savings will have to go on a bit longer, but I admire your attitude, and I hope that you realize (I think you do) that you are extremely fortunate to have POSITIVE associations with a family home, and a family that WANTS to gather once in awhile.
That seems so rare these days, even more rare than having a lot of money socked away.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:40 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Slaying debt is a big motivator. Keeps the $$ focus on the enemy (interest).

Good on you for keeping the family interests at heart. You must have a close family!
Old 04-15-2011, 05:54 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

This is yet another example of why it is absolutely vital to sort your own finances first before you worry about your kids/grandkids. The absolute best gift you can give your children is not to be a financial burden to them.