Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-28-2009, 04:29 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arif View Post
One "investment" that looks interesting is buying websites that produce monthly income from advertising. Anyone have experience buying websites/forums? I'm primarily interested in the consistency of the monthly income from advertisers and typical expenses.
I don't know anything about this industry, but the revenue stream that you are contemplating purchasing strikes me as somewhat ephemeral.

Presumably you would be buying a website that has been up and running for some time, generates so many 'hits' a month, and has one or more advertising contracts in place. But what happens if the vendor simply starts up a competing site? I guess you could always insist on a non-compete agreement, but it might well be difficult to police; and aside from the vendor, there are countless other people who can easily compete with you by setting up rival sites.

“In business, I look for economic castles protected by unbreachable ‘moats’” -Warren Buffett. With a few rare exceptions, a small website is unlikely to meet that test.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

tax deductible as business expense?
Old 09-28-2009, 09:10 PM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

tax deductible as business expense?

Quote:
what kind of site generates 500-100-$1500/month in ad revenues? Or is the money made by having 300 sites each generating $20 a month?
Without a ton of experience here, I can make some suggestions where you might look to find the answer: SitePoint.com, DigitalPoint.com, and WebmasterWorld.com.

You could try shopping around as if you were going to buy a website, and if you ask enough of the sellers, I'd guess that you'd be able to get a ballpark figure of what types of sites generate that revenue.

I'm not sure whether 300+ sites is the answer, but consider that you'll probably spend more on hosting and managing 300 sites than carefully building a smaller set.

I'm curious to find out if it's worth declaring oneself as an LLC and declaring the costs of website operation as tax deductible. Would anyone know off-hand?

Old 09-29-2009, 09:30 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I'm curious to find out if it's worth declaring oneself as an LLC and declaring the costs of website operation as tax deductible. Would anyone know off-hand?
If you run your site like a real business, then the costs are deductible anyway. The LLC just gives your business limited liability and protects your personal assets in case of a business lawsuit. Otherwise, if you your business is sued and you are operating as a sole proprietorship, you could lose some of your personal assets, like the equity in your home.

Quote:
I'm not sure whether 300+ sites is the answer, but consider that you'll probably spend more on hosting and managing 300 sites than carefully building a smaller set.
It is often a good idea to have a mix of different sized sites, because sometimes the Google algo favors niche sites and sometimes larger sites get more of a boost.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:41 PM   #24
Dryer sheet wannabe

If smaller means niche, it seems like it would be easier to start by breaking into more numerous smaller markets before going after a large one with a big site.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:48 PM   #25
Administrator

Here is an article I really like about the Mega Niche.
Wired 14.11: Tiny Slice, Big Market